The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by thunder_chunky
You see that first part was reasonable, however that second part where you say "hate the sin, love the sinner" still implies that their life style is a sin, which is absurd.

Which was my problem with the post.

By hating the "sin" the poster is demonising part of a person with which they have no choice about.
Original post by madders94
I think they're pointing out the fact that although they personally don't, many people still do consider homosexuality to be a sin, and although we'll never change the beliefs of those people, we should encourage them to accept and love the people.

The phrase might seem absurd out of context, but in context - when being used in reference to the people who do consider being gay a sin and gay people to be sinners - it makes perfect sense.

Yeah I know so I was kinda careful not to suggest they were saying it in case they were talking generally rather than going by personal opinion.
I know that to those that believe it's a sin it is a sinful life but the key part there is that it only applies to those that believe such things.
Original post by adsyrah
Which was my problem with the post.

By hating the "sin" the poster is demonising part of a person with which they have no choice about.

But that isn't the poster's opinion if the rest of their post is anything to go by, they are referring to other peoples' opinions.
Reply 63
Original post by madders94
But that isn't the poster's opinion if the rest of their post is anything to go by, they are referring to other peoples' opinions.

Yeah, maybe I misread it.

Just whisks me back to school when a "Christian" girl came out with that line:

"I like you as a person, Adam, but I hate the fact your'e gay".

I wanted to slap her.
Original post by adsyrah
Yeah, maybe I misread it.

Just whisks me back to school when a "Christian" girl came out with that line:

"I like you as a person, Adam, but I hate the fact your'e gay".

I wanted to slap her.

:eek: that's awful! Maybe it's because I'm not religious but I really don't understand how some people can have such a strong dislike, or even hatred, for homosexuality and, even worse, for gay people. Ironic that a religion that preaches for us to love one another and do unto others as we'd want to be done by, can harbor so much hate for love - love is love, it's the same love between a man and a man or a woman and a woman or a man and a woman - purely because of the genders of the people involved.
Reply 65
Original post by Mad Vlad
Firstly, I'm not your brother. I'm not from da 'hood either.

Secondly, what are you on about? I've not been brainwashed by anyone - this is my opinion. As a gay man, why wouldn't I want equality? I'm not a subscriber to a radical gay agenda - I'm not a militant campaigner with pink camo body armour waving placards about. All I want is equality. Not special treatment. Not greater rights than the majority. Just equality.

As for gay couples raising children, you clearly have no idea about this - if anyone's been brainwashed, it's you, apparently.

Exactly. Very intelligent poster. :colone:
Reply 66
Original post by LurkerintheDark
If you want to be brainwashed by the radical gay agenda, be my guest. 95% of the human race agree that gay marriage is bad news, and that gays raising kids is filthy liberal child abuse. You're out of whack with mankind, brother.

From where did you pluck that random and nonsensical number? I think you'll find that a more realistic interpretation is that 95% of the population couldn't care less what the Church thinks about gay marriage. The Church is very rapidly becoming an irrelevance in modern society.
I dont think people mind gay people, its the fairy culture that some really promote as the 'main' aspect of gay culture that people done like and a lot of gay people dont like it either, louis spence isnt a typical homosexual.

But on the topic yeah i dont think many people care about the marriagge but more so about the child rearing. If responsible, financially supportive people want to adopt a kid then whats the problem with it? is it not better to have 2 male parents who love and care for a child than having the child lost in the statistics of a carehome with no family (adopted or no)?
Reply 68
If you want to be brainwashed by the radical gay agenda, be my guest. 95% of the human race agree that gay marriage is bad news, and that gays raising kids is filthy liberal child abuse. You're out of whack with mankind, brother.

I'm sorry, what? 95%? Seeing as the gay population is considered to be around 5-10% I take it you're deciding every heterosexual person is against homosexual marriage and children raising. Unfortunately, that's not so true. Narrowing it down to the UK, from here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11398629 1.5% of our population is lesbian, gay or bisexual. The figures are likely to be higher than this due to participation issues/being in the closet/etc.

"A poll published by YouGov in March 2012 showed that 43% of people supported same-sex marriage whilst 32% supported civil partnerships. 16% were opposed to the recognition of homosexual relations all together. Support was particularly high amongst women, young people, people in Scotland and supporters of the Liberal Democrats. Support was lower amongst the working class, Conservative voters, men and older people.

In the same poll, 62% believed that homosexual relationships had the same value as heterosexual ones, but 47% of people supported the right of the Church of England to defend traditional marriage, 37% disagreed." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_Kingdom)

Not the best sources for information, but there's some evidence that the majority of people now support gay marriage.

As for gay people raising children being a liberal agenda of child abuse, one search on the internet can quickly find you mountains of evidence showing that there is no evidence contrary to the fact lesbians and gays make just as good parents as heterosexuals. The only argument I find against this is the bullying, and that's the fault of the bully's parents, not the kid's homosexual parents.

And aren't these two cute: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_and_Silo

So yeah. It happens in animals too. Not just the liberals. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior)
(edited 11 years ago)

Ah yes, that radical, subversive gay movement, whereby people everywhere will dare to free themselves of arbitrary discrimination. Dear all, let us rise against the conspiratorial bender agenda.

Where did you get this statistic?

'gays raising kids is filthy liberal child abuse' - so if a child is brought up in a home where the parents are in a committed, loving relationship and can offer the child a stable and happy home life, that's child abuse?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
As if they're going to do anything once it comes in place anyway.
Original post by Miracle Day
First of all I'm Christian.

Who cares what the damn Church of England says? Religion should not interfere with politics, especially not in a secular country.

im gona tear it up
Reply 73
Church of England being as irrelevant and out of touch as ever.
Pfff, they're just jelly of the girl-on-girl love I get.

It's a cry for attention, and possibly more visible lesbian action. We hear ya churchies, loud and clear!
Reply 75
Lol, people saying the church has the right to defend itself. Ironic considering this has nothing to do with them whatsoever. The church should **** off out of state matters.
Reply 76
Original post by Good bloke
Good. Let's hope the church supports disestablishment in the near future so we can have the secualr state we deserve.

England is and always has been a Christian country. You can try and rebel against that, but you are rebelling against the kingdom of God.
Original post by Libertarian_Walrus
Why should any church be forced into any kind of marriage? It is their church so they should decide who can and can't marry inside of it. Why do gays feel they need to get married in a church anyway? There is plenty of other places they can get married.

The law change would prevent gay people from getting married in a religious place. Gay people cant get married anywhere atm and the proposals woud only allow same sex marriage in a civil marriage
Original post by Libertarian_Walrus
Why should any church be forced into any kind of marriage? It is their church so they should decide who can and can't marry inside of it. Why do gays feel they need to get married in a church anyway? There is plenty of other places they can get married.

Forcing the Church to marry gay couples isn't part of the government plans.
Original post by Ineluctable
England is and always has been a Christian country. You can try and rebel against that, but you are rebelling against the kingdom of God.

:toofunny:

I'm not sure he'll have many people in his army to defend his kingdom any more. Secular democracy is the future.

Latest

Trending

Trending