Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Might have to take a year out due to cancer, student finance help? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    I apologise in advance for the lengthy post, this is a rather complicated situation!

    I'm in my second year at the uni of Salford. Just before my end-of-year assignments and exams, I was diagnosed with stage 1c ovarian cancer. I have to go through chemotherapy throughout the summer (I'm actually hooked up to one of my chemo drugs as I type!), and it's four three-week cycles.

    When I was admitted to hospital and diagnosed, I submitted a PMC form to cover the various assignments and exams that were due in during those weeks. I'm still waiting for the results of that, to see if it has been accepted.

    I was hoping to continue onto my third year in september, as I'll hopefully be finishing chemo around then and I already applied for accomodation before the whole mess. However, I don't know if that will be very practical, as I may have to have more chemo, radiotherapy or surgery after this round depending on my markers, and the side effects from chemo can last for up to a year after treatment- fogginess, worse short-term memory and fatigue being the main three that would impact my studies.

    I have already applied for student finance, but if I choose to take a year out (thankfully uni are being very supportive no matter what I decide to do), what would happen with student finance? I wouldn't be resitting my second year (unless I completely mess up the resits!), just progressing onto third year later than planned, but I have no idea of the process that I need to go through, or if student finance will even allow me to take a year out mid-way through the course!

    Thank you guys in advance!

    Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your health Just keep your spirit high and I'm sure with all of the treatments and medication you'll receive, you'll recover

    They'll most likely allow you to cancel your loan and use it in the following year after your year out, since you'll be providing a valid reason.

    Phone them up and see what they say. They'll most likely ask for a note from your doctor.
Do you honestly judge a book by its cover?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.