The Student Room Group

Students should think twice about pharmacy

Scroll to see replies

There's so much nativity on this page it makes me feel very sorry for you all. I'm tired of reading this lip service. So much of it is parroting back idealization heard at University. You will soon learn. I am taking a post-grad in a non-pharmacy subject and moving onto better prospects and better working conditions. There's a lot of people vehemently defending their course just because they don't want to live up to the fact that it's all down hill from here on. It just highlights how little experience you have, how few contacts you've made, and how short sighted you are when presented with all the obvious signs. Go talk to some real pharmacists, not the ones employed by the university or a lecturer. Real honest to God hard working pharmacists on the front line. Pick up the C&D or the PJ. Get informed, then get out of this dead end.

I'm not saying any more on this matter or replying to any more notes. If you don't like the bald truth, there's nothing more I can help you with.
H miss alice i'm a newly qualified pharmacist and i share your sentiments, what post-grad course are u gonna do?
It doesn't matter what university you go to or what degree you do nowdays (unless its medicine, dentistry and some types of engineering). We're all f*cked. Soon it won't matter if you even did medicine at uni, it will still be difficult to find a job.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by grimreefer
H miss alice i'm a newly qualified pharmacist and i share your sentiments, what post-grad course are u gonna do?

I don't think you will get a response either, I asked a similar questions not that far back.
Original post by pharmasaurus
I just don't understand your attitude. You're acting like you are owed a job just because you completed a degree. You have yet to graduate and register as a pharmacist. I would take your comments more seriously if ONCE you graduated and experience first hand all you that you claim above.

May I point out that its not only pharmacy; medicine is also in a deficit of foundation year positions. The telegraph suggested that 1000 medicine graduate would be without a job in 2013. It's not just us!!!

wow even medicine grauates won't have jobs. Wish we were in the 80s. We are all f*cked.
Reply 45
What do you suggest as an alternative degree then? apart from dentistry medicine optometry

WHat other degree is there you think we should do#?
Original post by Theoneoranro
wow even medicine grauates won't have jobs. Wish we were in the 80s. We are all f*cked.

Yeah, it is that bad. It is going to probably get worse for medicine also.

In this current economy, no degree is safe and will not lead automatically to a job.
Original post by firestar101
Yeah, it is that bad. It is going to probably get worse for medicine also.

In this current economy, no degree is safe and will not lead automatically to a job.

I'm getting out of this country asap lol, this country is going down and this is only the beginning.
Original post by Miss_Alice
There's so much naivety on this page it makes me feel very sorry for you all. I'm tired of reading this lip service. So much of it is parroting back idealization heard at University. You will soon learn. I am taking a post-grad in a non-pharmacy subject and moving onto better prospects and better working conditions. There's a lot of people vehemently defending their course just because they don't want to live up to the fact that it's all down hill from here on. It just highlights how little experience you have, how few contacts you've made, and how short sighted you are when presented with all the obvious signs. Go talk to some real pharmacists, not the ones employed by the university or a lecturer. Real honest to God hard working pharmacists on the front line. Pick up the C&D or the PJ. Get informed, then get out of this dead end.

I'm not saying any more on this matter or replying to any more notes. If you don't like the bald truth, there's nothing more I can help you with.

You didn't respond to my first reply so that's not much of a shock. When in doubt (or when people call you on your ridiculous statements) take the haughty 'you're all so ridiculous I'm not going to reply' stance, good plan. You're coming across as very patronising and superior actually, you're not the only person to ever speak to a pharmacist... Yes you have seven years of experience as a dispenser but it's not necessarily that much different to 3/4 years working through uni, it's all about what you get out of it. Ever think it's your attitude that puts potential employers off?

I don't think I'm being short-sighted. I graduate this month and walk straight into a well paid job for a year (and there are pre-reg places out there). I can only name a handful of people graduating from other courses that can say that but it goes for (almost?) my whole class. Even if the situation gets worse and I decide to leave pharmacy, I'm still sitting with a 2:1 in a science discipline. There are plenty of options, it's hardly short-sighted. I can't understand people who feel that having a degree guarantees them a job and it's their right. That's not how it works unfortunately.
Reply 49
Original post by college80
Pre - reg places are getting very difficult to come by now with companies rejecting students on the basis of 'overwhelmingly this year too many applicants, applying for pre-reg' there are simply too many applicants per pre reg places avaialable and too many pharmacists per job either in hospital or community (there simply are not enough jobs to go round in community and hospital to cater for all the qualified pharmacists right now...can you imagine things a few years down the line?)

The pharmacy board/society probably saw this coming a few years ago and as they cannot cap student numbers (unlike Dentristy and Medicine can) they cannot do much about it. It looks like 4 years of intense study and then no job for pharmacy students. Other sectors of pharmacy will have few jobs as it is and the situation is getting bleak now, let alone by the time students qualify in a few years.

This once secure healthcare job is now entering intense saturation territory and students should think long and hard about studying. Of course if pharmacy student capping was introduced this would not have happened but we still have new pharmacy schools opening next year...one shudders to think what effect that will have on an already bleak situation. Dentistry and Medicine will not allow new schools to open like this as they want to control their workforce and hence ensure secure job employment. Unfortunately the pharmacy profession does not have the power to do this. New schools of pharmacy can keep on opening and bring in lots of money for universities.

Pharmacists themselves are very worried about the situation and are urging students to save their money and time as forget 4 years down the line, here and now is getting very difficult.

Yes we can talk about no course guarantees jobs etc but pharmacy is heading towards the historical 90% job prospect rate to a 40% job prospect rate, that is even lower than those already saturarted job/course markets.

Things have changed dramatically since 5 years ago.

why are you morons negging this! this is absolutely true, my mums been a pharmacist for 20 years and this is exactly what she said when I was choosing my courses. pharmacy is saturated and is shifting towards a whole lot more paperwork rather than dispensing
Tbf no degree at the minute is looking at great in terms of employment so if you're going to struggle in finding a job after make sure its in something worth the struggle. For many of us learning a foreign language and moving abroad would probably be our best bet. This country is in a dire position for young people. We are being priced out of the property market, are most likely to be unemployed, have the least amount of welfare (look at what an OAP gets and look at what a child gets and then look at the age bracket of 18-25). We all seriously need to think about our future, those doing pharmacy, those not doing pharmacy, heck even those not doing a degree. We need to think about what we want and how to get it cause at the moment this country is a wreck for us to get what we want. Even moving abroad isn't the best option cause these problems are being faced by youth globally..
Reply 51
Original post by YB101

Because of the ridic amount of medics who use biomedical science as a back up choice, less space is available for those who ACTUALLY want to be biomedical scientists or go into research. Biomedical Science is most definitely not for those wanting to do medicine. Medicine for for those wanting to do medicine

Ah sorry mate i think ur right, you just caught me at a bad time honestly (a2 stress to get into pharmacy haha obviously made worse by viewing this thread!) best of luck with biomed :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by MonkeySee
why are you morons negging this! this is absolutely true, my mums been a pharmacist for 20 years and this is exactly what she said when I was choosing my courses. pharmacy is saturated and is shifting towards a whole lot more paperwork rather than dispensing

Exactly. Here is another poster who has validity to talk about this situation as his mum is a pharmacist and she is telling him that job prospects are looking bad. So please guys listen to that, the situation is getting very bad, there are just too many pharmacy students compared to the number of pre reg and qualified positions available. You should ask yourself if the pharmacy profession cared about job prospects they would not have let this happen, but they have!

I think you guys are being harsh on Miss Alice, she is telling you the grim truth but I guess those of you applying for pharmacy or are in your first few years of the course do not want to hear it even though you may think its true- its understandable, all that hard work and then no job, its just too depressing to contemplate.

Yes no course can guarantee a job, but this is pharmacy, with full time intense study over 4 years and very few of the other 'no job guarantee at the end' courses involve this sort of gruelling schedule,commitment and money! So having no job to go to after the degree makes it even more depressing.
Reply 53
Man... My pharmacy friends tutor is telling him that this topic is rubbish. I agree with the first post though.

Also Medicine applicants are going to have the same problem as well.
Exactly. Here is another poster who has validity to talk about this situation as his mum is a pharmacist and she is telling him that job prospects are looking bad. So please guys listen to that, the situation is getting very bad, there are just too many pharmacy students compared to the number of pre reg and qualified positions available. You should ask yourself if the pharmacy profession cared about job prospects they would not have let this happen, but they have!

I think you guys are being harsh on Miss Alice, she is telling you the grim truth but I guess those of you applying for pharmacy or are in your first few years of the course do not want to hear it even though you may think its true- its understandable, all that hard work and then no job, its just too depressing to contemplate.

Yes no course can guarantee a job, but this is pharmacy, with full time intense study over 4 years and very few of the other 'no job guarantee at the end' courses involve this sort of gruelling schedule,commitment and money! So having no job to go to after the degree makes it even more depressing.

I'm in two minds about this. Why should we be so privileged that there will always be jobs for us, even underperforming pharmacists? Competition can be a good thing. But I know that certain companies will take (and are taking) advantage of this to drive down wages and working conditions.

I don't think I'm being harsh, the only thing that was maybe too harsh was commenting on why she personally might not have got a pre-reg and I do feel bad about that. I'm not disagreeing that the job situation is poor but some of her comments are just blatantly untrue. You only have to look at this and this, two threads that I think demonstrate a lack of passion and a lack of willing to listen to anyone's advice. It seems like she felt she was guaranteed a place and not getting her chosen one has to be a result of lack of jobs, not just competition from other, maybe better, candidates. She was given a lot of advice in those threads and chose to ignore it. I can completely understand her disappointment, choosing to pursue a 4 year course and pay a lot of money after already being in a job for so long and then not getting what you expected out of it must be awful. But things have changed in every industry, it's not just pharmacy.

I know it's not nice but really, what are the alternatives? Do a BSc and be in the exact same position but without the option of being a pharmacist? Okay you have less debt and are a year ahead but if you really want to be a pharmacist is it worth it? We can talk about how intense pharmacy is but other students work hard too. A law degree used to be great but now how many law graduates are unemployed or working in something totally unrelated to their degree?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Miss_Alice
You don't seem to have read the point behind my post and the blatant warning. Don't ignore the facts, people. Go out and read up on popular pharmacist opinions. Go speak to the people in the job and they will warn you away. Don't be sucked into the airy fairy talk of the University who want your money. There are no caps on students and there never will be, and the Uni won't take the ethical high ground and cap themselves.

When there are so many students, the competition is becoming so fierce that even the most deserving students are looked over. I'm warning you, you need to pick hospital or community in year one, then do A LOT of unpaid work to stand a chance. You got to get in there from day one, and sadly some of the mainstream pharmacies are not pleasant to work for.

Getting lots of variety is not going to help, though you may quickly get sick of eating, sleeping and breathing pharmacy everyday for years. You will be rejected for lack of focus and lack of brand name. Though it's nice you can afford all this unpaid work (sadly for me, I have kids to pay for and a mortgage). Maybe you're aiming for a low-competition area as I just sadly happen to be in the most competitive region (too bad for me). But this is the face of things and how everywhere will be soon. With 150+ students per year at one school, trying to find work is damn impossible, especially if you expect to pay the bills while getting experience. A huge majority of students never secure summer experience. I worked in more than one pharmacy over those 7 years and demonstrated complete accredited skills in all areas that any pharmacist would then be expected to demonstrate in their pre-reg year and beyond. No doubt I have one of the most heavily weighted CVs for experience and I don't know anyone in my year who comes close. But I'm pipped at the post by Mr 50% who has 5 weeks unpaid work at Boots. Thanks to Uni I got even more time under my belt in hospital, but it seems that hospital experience has no value anymore. Ah, the great hospital-community divide. But now someone with a few weeks glorified work experience is telling me I should throw in my mortgage, turn back the clocks and do more shelf stacking in lloyds for variety's sake. Take a step back everyone and look at the state of pharmacy. It's not worth it. This could be you 4 years down the road, no life, worked like a dog for nothing, no hope, sent away from friends and family to some undesirable area to do some rotten pre-reg, in distressing levels of debt. All for a job that pays less and less (check out the recent Boots wage cuts deemed unlawful, but they are still pressing on with them unabashed. They rule the market so they can treat you like dirt). Don't forget mounting stress and zero respect.

This is the last time I'll say it to all you undergrads. AVOID PHARMACY.

I'll be looking for alternative employment this summer. I've had enough that is this joke called pharmacy.

Very interesting info you have posted there. I am a dentist and the situation is just as bleak for us. It's funny, I've had thoughts of maybe I should've studied pharmacy! They opened 3 new dental schools in the last 5 years and there is an enormous number of people coming from abroad to work here now. Yes, up until say 2007, the numbers were fairly stable and you were hot property. Well, happy days are over my friends.

As a dentist, you are a mere commodity and like Boots exploiting young pharmacists, we have large companies who own multiple practices that pay very poorly.
I have written a long post on why people should avoid dentistry. So if there's any people out there looking at dentistry as your escape hatch, think again if I were you. Miss_Alice and I are saying things that you don't want to hear. Why would you? It's shattering dreams and ideals. But it's the truth and ignore it at your peril. Especially now as you're gonna have to pay through the nose to study anything. My degree was a bargain in comparison.
It seems that nothing is safe these days.
Reply 57
I wasn't aware that 3 new dental schools had opened in the last 5 years. Which are they?
I wasn't aware that 3 new dental schools had opened in the last 5 years. Which are they?

Peninsula
Aberdeen
University of Central Lancashire

I they are graduate entry (4 yr) courses only
People...so on most Uni Pharmacy course websites, why does it say they have like 98%-100% graduate employment every year for places like Nott, LSOP etc if this is the case? :s Confused.com. I specifically remember a uni telling me that all of their students get jobs within 6 months of leaving university...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending