The Student Room Group

Geography OCR B 18th June GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
And by the way, if anyone could answer this it'd be great...
I got 59/60 on coursework and 54/60 on SDME. How much do you reckon I'd need to get (at the very least) for an A* (which is my target grade, really) in this exam?
Original post by Nistar
And by the way, if anyone could answer this it'd be great...
I got 59/60 on coursework and 54/60 on SDME. How much do you reckon I'd need to get (at the very least) for an A* (which is my target grade, really) in this exam?

Last year it was 216/240 for an A* I think, so 59+54=113

216-113= 103 UMS, so you'll need approximately this much UMS in this exam out of a possible 120 for an A* :smile:

I got about exactly the same marks as you so I need that much too :s-smilie:

How is everyone revising?
Reply 42
Original post by Dandaman9999

216-113= 103 UMS, so you'll need approximately this much UMS in this exam out of a possible 120 for an A* :smile:

OK, 103/120 should hopefully be do-able. Let's hope the exam goes in our favour then :smile:

And revision is OK. Hard to concentrate when the end of exams is so near....
Reply 43
Original post by Nistar
I thought due to our SDME being rivers and coasts, we didn't have to revise it? I've learnt Population + Settlement, Natural Hazards and Economic Development.

But on the SDME rivers and coasts didn't come up it was just mainly economic developent ( EG Stakeholders view about the aging population )
Reply 44
Original post by Sheel1
But on the SDME rivers and coasts didn't come up it was just mainly economic developent ( EG Stakeholders view about the aging population )

Hold up... my SDME was ALL about rivers and coasts. About flood planning defences etc. Perhaps yours was different... although I don't get how?
Original post by Sheel1

The SDME was on rivers and coasts and how to manage floods, etc... It 100% won't come up in the exam, we haven't even been taught anything about rivers or coasts :smile:
Reply 46
how are people remembering the case studies? I can't keep the figures in my head, there's soooo many! :frown:
Reply 47
The january sdme was rivers and coasts so therefore rivers and coasts cannot come up in the key themes exam. Although I resat the sdme last week which was on ageing population.
Reply 48
Original post by milkteef
The january sdme was rivers and coasts so therefore rivers and coasts cannot come up in the key themes exam. Although I resat the sdme last week which was on ageing population.

Oh OK, there's the confusion then... Yeah, I'm pretty sure Rivers and Coasts will not come up.
Reply 49
Rivers and coasts is definitely NOT on the exam. It will be population & settlement, natural hazards, economic development.

The reason that an ageing population was on your sdme is that you are meant to take it in year 10.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Reply 50
i think the population case study will be on migration seeings as there's been a past exam question on population plus it was in the sdme ...
Original post by Nistar
Awesome. I knew I was right but as always, TSR managed to place a seed of doubt :rolleyes:

Lol yeah tsr tends to do that...its has been helpful to me though in telling me that rivers and coasts isn't going to come up :smile:

What is it for an A? Thanks :smile:
Reply 53
Jebus christ, where did all those exams go? Flew by!

Geography tomorrow! Just wondering if anyone can give me 100% clarification on what the Case Studies are again please! Just need to make sure! :smile:

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Peace out :biggrin: :wink:
Reply 54
Original post by acsecnarf
how are people remembering the case studies? I can't keep the figures in my head, there's soooo many! :frown:

Even if you cannot remember a figure, you can make it up AS LONG as it is reasonable
the examiner will not check.. let me emphasise this as a last resort
because if don't have any specific figures you cannot reach top band :smile:

Note - I did so in my SDME and got 16/16 for the decision :tongue:
Reply 55
Original post by tdrjo
Jebus christ, where did all those exams go? Flew by!

Geography tomorrow! Just wondering if anyone can give me 100% clarification on what the Case Studies are again please! Just need to make sure! :smile:

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Peace out :biggrin: :wink:

Every school does different case studies..
However the most common ones include: Hurricane Katrina, one child policy, Mexico to USA or Poland to the UK, Palm oil, cyclone Nargis etc
Original post by bookworm786
What is it for an A? Thanks :smile:

I think it was 192/240 for an A last year... So do the same calculation I did above with your UMS marks and that's how much you need :smile:
I think it was 192/240 for an A last year... So do the same calculation I did above with your UMS marks and that's how much you need :smile:

Yeah i have to get 99 to get an A (thats how bad i did on the other half of the grade). Do you know how many marks that is? Would be greatly appreciated, thanks :biggrin:
Yeah i have to get 99 to get an A (thats how bad i did on the other half of the grade). Do you know how many marks that is? Would be greatly appreciated, thanks :biggrin:

Well, 120 (ums) divided by 75 (total marks in the paper)= 1.6

99 (grade for an A) divided by 1.6 (the constant)= 61.875... So you need around 62/75 possible marks for an A :smile:

Sorry, forgot to mention that that is not accurate at all, because full UMS is well below full marks for the paper so in reality you can get below that and still get an A :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending