Turn on thread page Beta

I have heard the work at Imperial Coll, Lon is really big and that there are lots of lectures/classes when you study there. How many hours of tutorials/lectures are there per week for Computer Science, or how many lectures/tutorials are there per week?

Thanks for da info

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=29039

Check out one of Bosslady's posts

ReputationRep:
    In particular this link : http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~im/TIMTAB/term2/class/c1.html

Damn that is pretty keen, looking up the timetable and all, what's wrong with shoving a course down on the ucas form, seeing what offers you get and sticking it out ! I'm starting to get scared now, I'm going there this year for comp sci also..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light)
    In particular this link : http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~im/TIMTAB/term2/class/c1.html

Damn that is pretty keen, looking up the timetable and all, what's wrong with shoving a course down on the ucas form, seeing what offers you get and sticking it out ! I'm starting to get scared now, I'm going there this year for comp sci also..
    you should be content with that! you are going to pay lots of money for your higher education, and that is what they give you back. arent you happy? you are not going to waste your money at all~~

p.s. hope to see you guys here this Oct. work hard and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiefei_ma)
    you should be content with that! you are going to pay lots of money for your higher education, and that is what they give you back. arent you happy? you are not going to waste your money at all~~

p.s. hope to see you guys here this Oct. work hard and good luck
    I want some time to join a wholeeeeeeeee bunch of societies and clubs though!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    I want some time to join a wholeeeeeeeee bunch of societies and clubs though!!!
    Wed. afternoons are left free for you to do sports or clubbing..

ReputationRep:
    Wed. afternoons are left free for you to do sports or clubbing..
    But if you only get one afternoon free, then you could only realistically fit in one club(that you were really comitted too of course) no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    But if you only get one afternoon free, then you could only realistically fit in one club(that you were really comitted too of course) no?
    you have evenings..

ReputationRep:
    you have evenings..
    and weekends as well..

ReputationRep:
    So do you do much C++ in Comp Sci @ Imperial ? I would love to learn about threading etc, as at the moment I have to do everything without it cause i'm too inexperienced . I'm writing an OpenGl app. ( basically aquires data from a piece of hardware and plots the results / does signal processing on them ).. but I suspect the guts of it are rather nasty - hopefully after comp sci. I will be more confident about my programming ability :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light)
    So do you do much C++ in Comp Sci @ Imperial ? I would love to learn about threading etc, as at the moment I have to do everything without it cause i'm too inexperienced . I'm writing an OpenGl app. ( basically aquires data from a piece of hardware and plots the results / does signal processing on them ).. but I suspect the guts of it are rather nasty - hopefully after comp sci. I will be more confident about my programming ability :confused:
    no, we dont do C++. lots of academic staffs here dislike C++.

however, you have to teach yourself C++, cos you will need it later on for the course). the staffs are quite confident that you are capable to learn it by yourself cos they teach you Java & C.

if you enjoy programming, then Imperial will satisfy you :-

in the first year, we do Haskell (declarative, functional programming) and Kenya (procedural "Java") in the first term; we do Postgre-SQL, OO Java and Assembly plus (a little bit in C and OpenGL) in the second term; in the third term, we do Prolog (yeah, my love -> declarative, logical programming).

in addition, we have a group project in the third term -- to create some webpages. in order to finish it you have to teach yourself a number of web design lauguages/scripts -- e.g. HTML+CSS, Javascript. or you may want to learn Perl, XML and so on, provided you have enough spare time.

in the second year, we will learn a few more languages..e.g. Core C for the MINIX practical coursework!

i am sure after the comp sci. course at Imperial you will become a highly skilled programmer, even though you know nothing about computing before.

ReputationRep:
    By the way if you hadn't realised it by now, Jeff (and Peter) are the two academic powerhouses in our year!

Hence he did the non-compulsory "little bit in C and OpenGL".

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Plank)
    By the way if you hadn't realised it by now, Jeff (and Peter) are the two academic powerhouses in our year!

Hence he did the non-compulsory "little bit in C and OpenGL".

John
    oh, you are joking. i am just in the middle of the class. Peter and Richard are the powerhouses in Computing and JMC respectively..

ReputationRep:
    Middle my arse : you got the third highest exam result!

John

ReputationRep:
    Its called being modest

ReputationRep:
    oh, you are joking. i am just in the middle of the class. Peter and Richard are the powerhouses in Computing and JMC respectively..
    LOL, if you're middle of the class, then I'm the king of France! Talk about modesty.

ReputationRep:

John
    i was just lucky

ReputationRep:
    Yeah big up Jeff.

John

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was rather disappointed when I learned they were going to teach Java instead of C++. What's up with that anyway?
    Have you guys made up your mind on specializations (graphics, AI, Software Engineering...etc) ?
    I love the programming, but I'm starting to get scared about the math. Is it hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Piovano)
    Yeah I was rather disappointed when I learned they were going to teach Java instead of C++. What's up with that anyway?
    Have you guys made up your mind on specializations (graphics, AI, Software Engineering...etc) ?
    I love the programming, but I'm starting to get scared about the math. Is it hard?
    (Hello btw) I'm maths and compsci, but not looking forward to the Java. C++ is so much better I'd much rather do that!! I've taught myself some C++, so I'd be slightly ahead too!

Oh well... hopefully they'll overlap or something

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.