Watch
This discussion is closed.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fyska)
(Hello btw) I'm maths and compsci, but not looking forward to the Java. C++ is so much better I'd much rather do that!! I've taught myself some C++, so I'd be slightly ahead too!

Oh well... hopefully they'll overlap or something
If you can do C++, you can learn Java in a day.
Will Piovano
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, that's why I'm not whining too much. The "programming feel" is what's important in the end.
I hope they don't do OpenGL in Java; slow as a drugged hippo.
I have mixed feelings about this first month with Haskell.
jiefei_ma
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Will Piovano)
Yeah, that's why I'm not whining too much. The "programming feel" is what's important in the end.
hehe, Haskell is fun!

and there will be a competition in Haskell as well
Will Piovano
Report 15 years ago
Consisting of what?
Euler
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i dont like programming...
Will Piovano
Report 15 years ago
Are you doing Computing?? :confused:
Euler
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Are you doing Computing?? :confused:
JMC - maths and computing
jiefei_ma
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by IntegralNeo)
JMC - maths and computing
yeah, JMC is suitable for you if you dont like programming.
Fyska
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jiefei_ma)
What?

I'm doing JMC... I like programming!!

Maybe I'll end up changing to compsci.
Will Piovano
Report 15 years ago
Yes, join us and we shall code Quake 5 with Haskell... mwahahaha
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think you are being sarcastic aren't you Jiefei? You've been doing too much work on Pandora.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Haskell is important from a theoretical point of view. Purely functional languages are a very important concept.
jiefei_ma
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
I think you are being sarcastic aren't you Jiefei? You've been doing too much work on Pandora.
hehe, my proposition is:

¬ like(X, programming) -> suitable(JMC, X)

it doesnt mean:

suitable(JMC, X) -> ¬ like(X, programming)

nor

like(X, programming) -> ¬ suitable(JMC, X)

PS: Implementing the Tableau for handling proofs with Equality and Quantifiers has made me mad ~~
wanna die~~ my neck and shoulders are killing me
jiefei_ma
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Haskell is important from a theoretical point of view. Purely functional languages are a very important concept.
why not show them the trees?
Will Piovano
Report 15 years ago
Two questions:
1. You get to do OpenGL in the first year?
2. Having done the 'directions' course, can you give me your personal summary of the 'software engineering', 'AI' and 'graphics' specializations and how much math they involve (I like math, but I want to do more programming than math)
jiefei_ma
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Two questions:
1. You get to do OpenGL in the first year?
2. Having done the 'directions' course, can you give me your personal summary of the 'software engineering', 'AI' and 'graphics' specializations and how much math they involve (I like math, but I want to do more programming than math)

I love both maths and programming. But I want to do some more A.I. and Software Engineering courses in my 3rd/4th year. :-)
Will Piovano
Report 15 years ago
Does that mean there's a heckload of math?
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I love both maths and programming. But I want to do some more A.I. and Software Engineering courses in my 3rd/4th year. :-)
jiefei_ma did you go to each and every lecture/lab session in the 1st year? Is this the norm? In some unis people just seem to turn up when they feel like it...does this happen during the computing course at ICL or is everyone very pretty good about turning up to lectures?
jiefei_ma
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
jiefei_ma did you go to each and every lecture/lab session in the 1st year? Is this the norm? In some unis people just seem to turn up when they feel like it...does this happen during the computing course at ICL or is everyone very pretty good about turning up to lectures?
it depends.

I didnt go to all the lecture/lab sessions. for example, i had experienced with Java before coming to ICL so I didnt attend some Programming I lectures(I shouldnt have done that indeed). and I usually finished the lab assignment on the day it was given out, so I hardly attent the lab sessions. instead, i went to some second year lecture sessions whenever I had time.

however, if you are not 100% happy with the subject/course, please do go to the lecture/tutorial sessions. last year, quite a few computing students over-estimated themselves and seldom turn up in the Maths lecture/tutorial sessions. therefore they failed the Xmas test and the summer exam.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it depends.

I didnt go to all the lecture/lab sessions. for example, i had experienced with Java before coming to ICL so I didnt attend some Programming I lectures(I shouldnt have done that indeed). and I usually finished the lab assignment on the day it was given out, so I hardly attent the lab sessions. instead, i went to some second year lecture sessions whenever I had time.

however, if you are not 100% happy with the subject/course, please do go to the lecture/tutorial sessions. last year, quite a few computing students over-estimated themselves and seldom turn up in the Maths lecture/tutorial sessions. therefore they failed the Xmas test and the summer exam.
Thanks for the reply!
I think the Maths lectures will definatley be the ones I will try the hardest to attend, because I get the impression the maths on the course can be tricky! It's scary that some people failed their maths summer exam! Doesn't that count towards their degree grading? :eek:
Oh btw, so the lab sessions are basically allocated time for you to work on your assignments that have been given by the lecturers?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (70)
53.44%
Yes, but I want to swap them (10)
7.63%
No, but I know who I want to choose (14)
10.69%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (33)
25.19%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (4)
3.05%

Watched Threads