Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fyska)
    (Hello btw) I'm maths and compsci, but not looking forward to the Java. C++ is so much better I'd much rather do that!! I've taught myself some C++, so I'd be slightly ahead too!

Oh well... hopefully they'll overlap or something
    If you can do C++, you can learn Java in a day.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's why I'm not whining too much. The "programming feel" is what's important in the end.
    I hope they don't do OpenGL in Java; slow as a drugged hippo.
    I have mixed feelings about this first month with Haskell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Piovano)
    Yeah, that's why I'm not whining too much. The "programming feel" is what's important in the end.
    hehe, Haskell is fun!

and there will be a competition in Haskell as well

ReputationRep:
    Consisting of what?

ReputationRep:
    i dont like programming...

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing Computing?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing Computing?? :confused:
    JMC - maths and computing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralNeo)
    JMC - maths and computing
    yeah, JMC is suitable for you if you dont like programming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiefei_ma)
    What?

I'm doing JMC... I like programming!!

Maybe I'll end up changing to compsci.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, join us and we shall code Quake 5 with Haskell... mwahahaha

ReputationRep:
    I think you are being sarcastic aren't you Jiefei? You've been doing too much work on Pandora.

ReputationRep:
    Haskell is important from a theoretical point of view. Purely functional languages are a very important concept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    I think you are being sarcastic aren't you Jiefei? You've been doing too much work on Pandora.
    hehe, my proposition is:

¬ like(X, programming) -> suitable(JMC, X)

it doesnt mean:

suitable(JMC, X) -> ¬ like(X, programming)

nor

like(X, programming) -> ¬ suitable(JMC, X)

PS: Implementing the Tableau for handling proofs with Equality and Quantifiers has made me mad ~~
    wanna die~~ my neck and shoulders are killing me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Haskell is important from a theoretical point of view. Purely functional languages are a very important concept.
    why not show them the trees?

ReputationRep:
    Two questions:
    1. You get to do OpenGL in the first year?
    2. Having done the 'directions' course, can you give me your personal summary of the 'software engineering', 'AI' and 'graphics' specializations and how much math they involve (I like math, but I want to do more programming than math)

ReputationRep:
    Two questions:
    1. You get to do OpenGL in the first year?
    2. Having done the 'directions' course, can you give me your personal summary of the 'software engineering', 'AI' and 'graphics' specializations and how much math they involve (I like math, but I want to do more programming than math)

I love both maths and programming. But I want to do some more A.I. and Software Engineering courses in my 3rd/4th year. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean there's a heckload of math?

ReputationRep:
    I love both maths and programming. But I want to do some more A.I. and Software Engineering courses in my 3rd/4th year. :-)
    jiefei_ma did you go to each and every lecture/lab session in the 1st year? Is this the norm? In some unis people just seem to turn up when they feel like it...does this happen during the computing course at ICL or is everyone very pretty good about turning up to lectures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    jiefei_ma did you go to each and every lecture/lab session in the 1st year? Is this the norm? In some unis people just seem to turn up when they feel like it...does this happen during the computing course at ICL or is everyone very pretty good about turning up to lectures?
    it depends.

I didnt go to all the lecture/lab sessions. for example, i had experienced with Java before coming to ICL so I didnt attend some Programming I lectures(I shouldnt have done that indeed). and I usually finished the lab assignment on the day it was given out, so I hardly attent the lab sessions. instead, i went to some second year lecture sessions whenever I had time.

however, if you are not 100% happy with the subject/course, please do go to the lecture/tutorial sessions. last year, quite a few computing students over-estimated themselves and seldom turn up in the Maths lecture/tutorial sessions. therefore they failed the Xmas test and the summer exam.

ReputationRep:
    it depends.

I didnt go to all the lecture/lab sessions. for example, i had experienced with Java before coming to ICL so I didnt attend some Programming I lectures(I shouldnt have done that indeed). and I usually finished the lab assignment on the day it was given out, so I hardly attent the lab sessions. instead, i went to some second year lecture sessions whenever I had time.

however, if you are not 100% happy with the subject/course, please do go to the lecture/tutorial sessions. last year, quite a few computing students over-estimated themselves and seldom turn up in the Maths lecture/tutorial sessions. therefore they failed the Xmas test and the summer exam.
    Thanks for the reply!
    I think the Maths lectures will definatley be the ones I will try the hardest to attend, because I get the impression the maths on the course can be tricky! It's scary that some people failed their maths summer exam! Doesn't that count towards their degree grading? :eek:
    Oh btw, so the lab sessions are basically allocated time for you to work on your assignments that have been given by the lecturers?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.