The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Exam Unit 1 (C1) 15th June 2012 (New Spec.)

Scroll to see replies

Can someone please explain the miller-Urey experiment to me and primordial soup?also what is smelting? and what sort of questions would they ask about it? Thank you so much! Good luck tomorrow everyone! :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by AZ786
Well, a monomer is smaller and make a polymer through polymerisation
sounds complicated but basically loads of the small molecules, monomers, join togther to form longer chains called polymers. The double bond 'opens up' or breaks to form the polymer :smile:
Hope it helps, and have you got any tips for remebering everything because i am so nervous i will forget everything! Also, what do you think the 6 mark question will be on?? Thanks :smile:

Heyy :smile: Thankyou, for remembering things this may sound really stupid but i sometimes make songs to the tunes of my favourite songs :wink: , and also the night before the exam i like to write out all the definitions and processes that have revised to spot anyones i'm not so sure about using this revision check list: http://http://my-gcsescience.com/uploads/AQA_GCSE_Core_Science_and_Chemistry_1.pdf as when find i'm unsure of something there's a really clear video link next to it :biggrin: If i knew what the 6 marker was i'm pretty sure i'd be rich :tongue: but i'm thinking maybe something to do with global warming, recycling etc but i'm not really sure :smile: I'm sure you'll be fine! Good Luck :h:
Reply 102
Original post by AZ786
Thank you, and what other main topics should i focus more on/less on
like, should i not revise the atoms and stuff as much? :s really nervous :frown:

The questions these days are not based on the syllabus a lot but mostly on common sense and whether you can figure out new data based on the knowledge you already know. In my opinion I think you shouldn't waste time on revising what electrons are and what protons are etc. these things are KS3 and of course you should have known this all the time you have been sitting there in class. Other than that it would be great if you had a very good ready through vegetable oils, earthquakes, biodiesel, ethanol, cracking crude oil, phytomining and the environment issues because these are mostly the ones you get the most marks from. There might be at the start of the exam some easy 1 mark 2 mark questions about atoms but seriously... Anyway, if you have the new specification book you should have a look at the second section (around pg 55 up to 80). I hope you great success in the exam tomorrow since I am also sitting it :biggrin:
Reply 103
Original post by Shad-A
The questions these days are not based on the syllabus a lot but mostly on common sense and whether you can figure out new data based on the knowledge you already know. In my opinion I think you shouldn't waste time on revising what electrons are and what protons are etc. these things are KS3 and of course you should have known this all the time you have been sitting there in class. Other than that it would be great if you had a very good ready through vegetable oils, earthquakes, biodiesel, ethanol, cracking crude oil, phytomining and the environment issues because these are mostly the ones you get the most marks from. There might be at the start of the exam some easy 1 mark 2 mark questions about atoms but seriously... Anyway, if you have the new specification book you should have a look at the second section (around pg 55 up to 80). I hope you great success in the exam tomorrow since I am also sitting it :biggrin:

Thank you, you too-good luck!!
Awwww its a bad thing i aint got no common sense then isnt it :frown:
Reply 104
Original post by hannnahlucy
Can someone please explain the miller-Urey experiment to me and primordial soup?also what is smelting? and what sort of questions would they ask about it? Thank you so much! Good luck tomorrow everyone! :smile:

Well... how about they wouldn't ask about that at all?? Dude, that doesn't come up those are just tiny case studies for you to remember what happens. I know I have the same book as yours but have a look at the specification and over there you will find everything a lot brighter.
Reply 105
Original post by LjWol
Heyy :smile: Thankyou, for remembering things this may sound really stupid but i sometimes make songs to the tunes of my favourite songs :wink: , and also the night before the exam i like to write out all the definitions and processes that have revised to spot anyones i'm not so sure about using this revision check list: http://http://my-gcsescience.com/uploads/AQA_GCSE_Core_Science_and_Chemistry_1.pdf as when find i'm unsure of something there's a really clear video link next to it :biggrin: If i knew what the 6 marker was i'm pretty sure i'd be rich :tongue: but i'm thinking maybe something to do with global warming, recycling etc but i'm not really sure :smile: I'm sure you'll be fine! Good Luck :h:

Lol, good idea, i learnt the order of the electromagnetic waves names using the electromagnetic song-v. catchy lol! Good luck, grr really need to remember everything
Reply 106
Original post by AZ786
Thank you, you too-good luck!!
Awwww its a bad thing i aint got no common sense then isnt it :frown:

Think about as if you do know it :P And think about it as if you are the expert and you will be a lot more confident :smile: It is in the afternoon btw. the best thing to do is do nothing before the exam :smile: Relax and chat to your friends and do some quizzes but don't do stress revision etc. those don't help. Have a read through the spec it takes about 20 mins :biggrin:
Reply 107
Original post by hannnahlucy

ARGGH!!! I didnt even know the primordial soup thingy and miller urey was in the new 2012 spec!! We havent learnt that in class!!
Reply 108
Original post by Shad-A
Think about as if you do know it :P And think about it as if you are the expert and you will be a lot more confident :smile: It is in the afternoon btw. the best thing to do is do nothing before the exam :smile: Relax and chat to your friends and do some quizzes but don't do stress revision etc. those don't help. Have a read through the spec it takes about 20 mins :biggrin:

Eh lol u obvs dnt no me cuz i PANICCCC loads heheeh i will defo read through my notes because it will calm me down i think lol, what r you gna do b4 exam? Lol my friends have a history exam in morning... :P
Reply 109
LOL what I do? Well... have a cup of coffee? And how about playing football :smile: But 30mins before I will do some quizzes about the topics with others :biggrin:
Reply 110
Original post by Shad-A
LOL what I do? Well... have a cup of coffee? And how about playing football :smile: But 30mins before I will do some quizzes about the topics with others :biggrin:

lol i h8 coffee and football
Reply 111
Original post by AZ786
lol i h8 coffee and football

Lol good luck with revision, I will probably read through the spec in the morning and that will probably help to do some beasting in the exam :biggrin: Good night
Reply 112
Good luck everyone! Bye!
Original post by LjWol
can anyone help me with this question:
ch1 001.JPG :smile:

It is reduction. Reduction is the removal of oxygen. I think you also could've said Displacement Reaction, because the Carbon displaced the Iron so you get Iron + Carbon Dioxide.
Reply 114
Original post by Crystallouise99
I'm gonna start revising chemistry tomorrow, because at the moment I am revising for school exams: geography on thursday and english lit 2hours on wednesday.:mad: So much to do including chemistry revision. :frown:

I know about crude oil, fractional distillation, hydrocarbons and simple stuff life that but I really need to revise emulsifiers, the earth and atmosphere. Theories of how life formed etc.
Basically I have soooo much to revise.

So how is your revision going ? How much have you revised so far ?

sorry for the late reply :frown: anyway, revision is going okay. the annoying thing is, i know the general concepts of everything, but its sometimes confusing to apply it to specific questions. :angry: you?
Reply 115
Does anyone have the spec? :smile:
Reply 116
does anyone know what the stages of extracting vegetable oils are :smile:
Reply 117
Looking at the Jan 2012 paper, there seems to be some topics missing which are probably going to be likely to come up, those being:

cracking

emulsifiers

polymers

Reply 118
Good luck!
In the spec is says higher tier need to know "Why we do not know how life was first formed" wth HELP!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending