The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Exam Unit 1 (C1) 15th June 2012 (New Spec.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
That was definitely hard. Anyone who says it wasn't has to be lying! Haha. I really don't like the way AQA words the questions, I was so confused on the last one :frown: how did you all find it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 141
I can't really remember the last question but I'm pretty sure I put something like helium and neon.
For the question about Miller-Urey I put that they wanted to recreate the conditions too.

What did you put for the question about the gases produced when clay and something else(can't remember what) are put in a kiln?
That was hard, harder than additional! What do people think about grade boundaries? High/low?
Reply 143
AQA took the PISS on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DARE THEY DO THIS?!

I can't resit in my school.....
Reply 144
Original post by Ame1
I can't really remember the last question but I'm pretty sure I put something like helium and neon.
For the question about Miller-Urey I put that they wanted to recreate the conditions too.

What did you put for the question about the gases produced when clay and something else(can't remember what) are put in a kiln?

I know this is wrong but I put oxides of nitrogen -.- , what did you put? I kinda freaked out and failed the whole thing...

and what did you write for "give two reasons why carbon dioxide is released in a rotary kiln?"
Reply 145
Original post by meem23
Thats kinda what i put, but my friend said that she made it sound like it wasnt a statement/fact, because it is actually a theory that those were the gases present in the early atmosphere :ashamed2:

I think I might of wrote "they believed" I'm not sure.
Reply 146
Original post by lilyoftheincas05
That was hard, harder than additional! What do people think about grade boundaries? High/low?

I got a feeling the grade boundaries will be low seeing as everyone so far found it quite hard:frown:
Reply 147
I found this to be quite fair.
What did y'all get on the fractional distillation one?
(Order)

And about the experiment, I put that primordial soup theory states that those were the gases in the early atmosphere
Reply 148
Original post by Ame1

the question was when clay and calcium carbonate are heated in the rotary kiln, and methane and air are put in, which two gases would be produced most?

I put Carbon Dioxide, as that's what's produced when calcium carbonate decomposes, and I also guessed Nitrogen, because it makes up the majority of the air going in, but that's probably wrong.
If it makes you feel any better our school refuses to resit students on the basis 50% do better the second time and 50% do worse and you take the resit grade.
So glad that some others found it hard! I mean, there was some easy stuff, but AQA went a little over the top with the complexity! Quite a lot of their exams are very easy, yes, but they've gone way too far now with the sciences. Biology was ok, but this wasn't great. I don't dare to imagine Physics...

Whoever wrote this paper was being harsh! I always expect one or two relatively hard questions, but quite a lot of that was so random, like I keep saying previously. So I'm disappointed in AQA and not necessarily loads in myself as I knew all the methods and revised for hours on end each night this week. Could have got more marks if it was "define this" and "define that". I definitely expected more definitions. I get that they're not meant to make it easy, but still...

I want my results now. I haven't failed, but I want to know the boundaries at least and what grade I've gotten. I would like an A, so it depends on the boundaries. They should be lower than January 2012, where that exam was so much easier. Though we'll have to see. :smile:
OMG that was horrible.. The grade boundaries better be low, really low.
Reply 152
Original post by Alix23
the question was when clay and calcium carbonate are heated in the rotary kiln, and methane and air are put in, which two gases would be produced most?

I put Carbon Dioxide, as that's what's produced when calcium carbonate decomposes, and I also guessed Nitrogen, because it makes up the majority of the air going in, but that's probably wrong.

I put CO2 because it comes in with the air :/ (1 point) Right or wrong?
Reply 153
Original post by Saraxo

and what did you write for "give two reasons why carbon dioxide is released in a rotary kiln?"

I think the question was which two main gases are released in the rotary kiln. I put carbon dioxide and nitrogen, which was a guess
Reply 154
Original post by tohaaaa
I put CO2 because it comes in with the air :/ (1 point) Right or wrong?

I would guess right, but I don't know whether the marks were just given for naming the gases or explaining why. It was a two mark question, did you put another gas?
Reply 155
On the first page, what did you write for the question about why atoms have no overall charge...

I wrote the number of protons equals the number of neutrons therefore the atom has no overall charge...? dont know if its right...
Original post by Saraxo
I got a feeling the grade boundaries will be low seeing as everyone so far found it quite hard:frown:

I'm guessing 46/60?
I find Chemistry really easy and I revised like hell....but this exam - stupidly hard!
The exam was all really applying knowledge but the questions were hard and badly worded.
I found biology much easier.

Last question I put the boiling points were so similar of Oxygen and Argon so they are hard to separate. What did people get for the QWR question 3 about poly(ethene)??
Reply 157
Original post by Saraxo
On the first page, what did you write for the question about why atoms have no overall charge...

I wrote the number of protons equals the number of neutrons therefore the atom has no overall charge...? dont know if its right...

No, it was number of protons and electrons, the neutrons are neutral
that was hard,so stupid my school entered us for the old spec in January and i got A* in unit 1 but i had to bloody retake it with the new spec and don't think i've got a A*, and they made us finish physics this year with old spec such a retarded school
Reply 159
Original post by MajorRisk
I'm guessing 46/60?
I find Chemistry really easy and I revised like hell....but this exam - stupidly hard!
The exam was all really applying knowledge but the questions were hard and badly worded.
I found biology much easier.

Last question I put the boiling points were so similar of Oxygen and Argon so they are hard to separate. What did people get for the QWR question 3 about poly(ethene)??

I wasn't even expecting a six mark question about poly(ethene) to come up. I basically guessed that one. I wrote:
Poly(ethene) is biodegradable
Landfill sites release methane
Methane is a greenhouse gas
Ethene is non-renewable

but...

Polymerisation is an quick reaction
Could provide jobs to people

THIS TEST WAS HARD. feels like my revision wasn't worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending