The Student Room Group

I get unusually sad when things end

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This is me with tv shows...
Reply 21
I hate goodbyes too.
So now I don't bother with hellos, therefore- no more goodbyes.
:frown: same, i even get it at the end of films sometimes. But then you just plan another holiday/festival/film and it starts again :biggrin: chin up!
I get this, OP.
Ive learnt it's due to anxiety about change. I really get myself wound up when things take an unexpected turn and / or things abruptly end.
What i've tried to do to keep on top of it, and combat these feelings, is always make sure I have future plans so that I always have something to 'fall back on'.

For example, I was really upset after being let go from my previous job due to funding and the company going bust, and I dwelled on it for about a week, which I think tbh is about normal, no-one likes to lose their job!

After that I thought, screw this and threw myself into keeping myself so busy I forgot how I was feeling, and soon found a job again.

Basically, distract yourself. Don't let yourself think about these things, or if you dwell on the negatives too much and it becomes obsessive, it could turn into a downward spiral and that's how depression starts. A certain amount of sadness in life is normal though, you can't be expected to be happy all the time, you're only human.

Keep busy doing hobbies and things you enjoy, and always have a friend to grab and go out with if you feel sad. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I know this is an old thread but yes I get this too!! I get really down at the end of so many things, holidays, days out with friends, end of a nice summers day gets me really down, end of the summer, end of a party (It's worse when I'm drunk and i tend to run away from the people saying it's time to go home), I'm getting really sad about the end of first year of uni because it's making me sad about when the whole degree ends.

I have social anxiety, I think I fear abandonment to and a terrible fear of death... I think maybe things coming to an end is a reminder that everything comes to an end even us...
Hi! I stumbled across your post when I googled 'I get really sad when things finish', it just occurred to me today that a big part of my procrastination is about not wanting things to end. Today, as I completed a game that I'd been playing for two years to help me through a hard time, I reflected on the nature of 'endings'. Seeing people on this post feeling the same way gave that strength and I thought perhaps I should honor the ending. I lived in Japan for a while and they honour beginnings and endings of everything! Some words, a toast - a ceremony if it warrants it. So I lit a candle , placed the game beside it and spoke some words of gratitude- for the game makers, the sound designers, the technicians and the community within the game. I thanked them for bringing me joy within the sad time and then unexpectedly I cried! So perhaps it is this, dear sensitive souls - we feel joy to a higher level and sadness too - a double edged gift. I liked this ending today... I'll light a candle and say some more words at my next ending. Might need to add yummy food next time. ❤️🌻
Do you still feel that way all these years later?

Quick Reply

Latest