Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well, not me, but my best friend i think it's so sad that she's getting married at such a young age! I don't doubt her love, but....i dunno, am i the only one who thinks 18 is far too young?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    well, not me, but my best friend i think it's so sad that she's getting married at such a young age! I don't doubt her love, but....i dunno, am i the only one who thinks 18 is far too young?
    no. is she marrying sum1 odf theese forums???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    I think it is far too young. You havn't lived enough at 18.

ReputationRep:
    who cares, if she thinks she's ready then she is.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    I wouldnt get married at 18, possibly engaged. I dont think anyone should get married nowadys generally until they are 21 or older. In the past people had to grow up faster after leaving school at 14 etc, but now a large proportion dont until they are 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    who cares, if she thinks she's ready then she is.....
    Not necessarily. I know tons of people who got married in their late teens and early twenties and then turned round at thirty and exclaimed "what the fu*k have I done with my life"?, and dived head on into a premature mid-life crisis.

Not all of them of course. But a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I wouldnt get married at 18, possibly engaged. I dont think anyone should get married nowadys generally until they are 21 or older. In the past people had to grow up faster after leaving school at 14 etc, but now a large proportion dont until they are 18.
    30 is early enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Not necessarily. I know tons of people who got married in their late teens and early twenties and then turned round at thirty and exclaimed "what the fu*k have I done with my life"?, and dived head on into a premature mid-life crisis.

Not all of them of course. But a lot.
    yeah but i'm sure a lot of people have got married at a much later age and till regretted it, they wont know until they try.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    yeah but i'm sure a lot of people have got married at a much later age and till regretted it, they wont know until they try.....
    That's true too. And a lot "stick it out" for ages before finally throwing the towel in (my folks being a good example having divorced after 30 years and not having spoken a word to each other in the eight years since......go figure!)

ReputationRep:
    well it seems to be something of a tradition in her family...her mother was married at age 18 (and had EIGHT children...!) then her older sister got married at 18, and she's set to follow in their footsteps. It's so sad, because when we were little she used to dream about being different from her family and not just grow up to be a homemaker (as all the other women have...it's a bit backwards, they're like baby machines!) and now she's abandoned her dreams of graphic design (she's SO talented) and just wants kids, and maybe she'll go into hairdressing. This is a gorgeous, intelligent straight-A student we're talking about here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    I remember two years back - after year 11, a rather academically talented girl in our year got married at 16 - after that she didn't come into sixthform, i think she's had a baby now. I think it's shocking, the worst thing being she had no choice - being forced into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I remember two years back - after year 11, a rather academically talented girl in our year got married at 16 - after that she didn't come into sixthform, i think she's had a baby now. I think it's shocking, the worst thing being she had no choice - being forced into it.
    how was she forced into marriage? the thing is, my bestfriend has had such rubbish relationships with horrible guys and now that she's finally found a seemingly *decent* bloke (who she's been going out with for only four months, yet he moved countries to be with her) she's ready to tie the not! such a waste!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    how was she forced into marriage? the thing is, my bestfriend has had such rubbish relationships with horrible guys and now that she's finally found a seemingly *decent* bloke (who she's been going out with for only four months, yet he moved countries to be with her) she's ready to tie the not! such a waste!
    Her parents. Apparantly her family are strict musilms. But i'm not going to say anything else, it'll be fabricating the story - since i never really knew her - perhaps she's happy with the way her life's gone? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)

Hmm, I dont know. I list having a wife and child more imporant than anything else I could wish for in life. Its not a bad thing. As long as she is happy I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I dont know. I list having a wife and child more imporant than anything else I could wish for in life. Its not a bad thing. As long as she is happy I suppose.
    You have very simple, realistic wishes...! I on the otherhand hope i never get married...!

ReputationRep:
    well i agree, i mean i want to settle down as well, EVENTUALLY. But the thing is, i physically cannot imagine her being married! She is soooo young, 18, but still with the mentality of a teenager. Which is fair enough because she IS a teenager, but it is just such a waste

ReputationRep:
    Holy crap im 17 and a half and i've never even been in a real relationship.................... ................................ ..

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine got married at 16 to her 18-year-old boyfriend.
    *sigh* Bizarre, non?

ReputationRep:
    I got married when i was 12 in Congo.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.