Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Scarlet)
    I got married when i was 12 in Congo.
    You got married aged 12 and you think you might be a man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    You got married aged 12 and you think you might be a man?
    shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Scarlet)
    shut up.
    Why?
    That was a genuine question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Holy crap im 17 and a half and i've never even been in a real relationship.................... ................................ ..
    maybe you need a new hair-do.

ReputationRep:
    A close friend of mine wanted to get married this summer, after her boyfriend proposed to her after 2 months of dating! She was so excited planning this uber-cool goth wedding...and she was going to have this most wonderful wedding dress...we used to pass by it and stare at everytime we went to Camden. After, weeks of persuasion...she insisted the wanted to marry this geezer....but at 16 it was WAY too young! Luckily, they both had to wait till they turned 16...a couple of months and he happened to have cheated on her, the *******, now she has marraige out of her mind competely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    well, not me, but my best friend i think it's so sad that she's getting married at such a young age! I don't doubt her love, but....i dunno, am i the only one who thinks 18 is far too young?
    getting married? LOL

ReputationRep:
    Hey for me 24 is way too young to think about marriage in fact I think that 34 will probably be too young, I'm a self confessed commitment phobe lol.

ReputationRep:
    I might be crazy but I'd get married tomorrow if I was sure we were both very much in love and that he was my soulmate (if they exist?) I'm 17 by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Not necessarily. I know tons of people who got married in their late teens and early twenties and then turned round at thirty and exclaimed "what the fu*k have I done with my life"?, and dived head on into a premature mid-life crisis.

Not all of them of course. But a lot.
    I left school at 16, went to college for a year, got a job, met my husband at 21, married at 26, had my son at 27, did open University at 26, I am now doing my Masters at 32, just because you get married young doesn't mean you haven't done anything with your life. Some marriages work, some don't, I am happily married, but my parents split up after 32 years of marriage.

ReputationRep:
    I so could not imagine being married at 16! Thank goodness Australian marriage law is 18.

ReputationRep:
    wow, marrige at 18... if you were in america you wouldnt be able to drink at your own wedding. i reckon that for the early part of your life, you should get to know the world, and having someone to do it with you is great. so a gf who you love more than enything is the best thing. when the two of you are together its great cos you can be best friends with your girlfrined, but if she were your wife, that takes some of the innocence and fun out of the equation... i dont know why... i love my gf, and would hope to marry her someday, but right now it is just perfect, and i couldnt want more. marrige implys babies. 18 is far to young. your still a child at 18. (no, im not looking down at anyone, im 17)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i know darl, i dont plan on getting married until at least 28 if i choose to get married that is.

ReputationRep:
    marrige isnt paticularly necissary. for me, itll just be an excuse to get dressed up, party and go on a honymoon with the woman i love. people whouuld do that anyway.....

ReputationRep:
    hmm....
    if you are going to stay together forever, what is wrong with getting married at an early age, if you truly love each other...if you have a good relationship then getting married won't hinder your life, but enhance it and give you a good base from which to adventure out into the world!! Surely marriage is a big thing whatever your age, but there is never a 'right' time, just when it feels right for you and your partner in your relationship...it would be worth getting them to go to a vicar or marriage cousellor or something though, so ensure that they understand the significance of what they are doing..i would say this for anyone though, not just young people!

ReputationRep:
    to me, marrige just feels like something you do when your old. not in a bad way, but i would feel more comfortable and cosy in a marrige, and when im in a serious relationship, its all exiting, and you feel the youth and vitality. there is more passion in a regular relaitonship.
    i just think that being married would change the nature of a relationship, and i think that people should only do that when theyve had their fill of the way their relaitonship already is.
    the only other reason to get married, i think would be to declare your love for someone. and people only do it for that when they arent convinced that they are doing it enough anyway. btu that's what skywriting is for....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two_headed_monk)
    to me, marrige just feels like something you do when your old. not in a bad way, but i would feel more comfortable and cosy in a marrige, and when im in a serious relationship, its all exiting, and you feel the youth and vitality. there is more passion in a regular relaitonship.
    i just think that being married would change the nature of a relationship, and i think that people should only do that when theyve had their fill of the way their relaitonship already is.
    the only other reason to get married, i think would be to declare your love for someone. and people only do it for that when they arent convinced that they are doing it enough anyway. btu that's what skywriting is for....

lol...that would be a romantic way to propose actualy...

ReputationRep:
    in skywriting?.... maybe.... any way to do it without actually having to talk is how i would... whenever i say something romantic i just sound stupid in my own head... it hurts.

ReputationRep:
    NO way, you can never read the writing becuase it blows away in the wind before the whole ting is written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    hmm....
    if you are going to stay together forever, what is wrong with getting married at an early age, if you truly love each other...if you have a good relationship then getting married won't hinder your life, but enhance it and give you a good base from which to adventure out into the world!! Surely marriage is a big thing whatever your age, but there is never a 'right' time, just when it feels right for you and your partner in your relationship...it would be worth getting them to go to a vicar or marriage cousellor or something though, so ensure that they understand the significance of what they are doing..i would say this for anyone though, not just young people!
    i woudl argue that at the age of 16/17/18 you havent had the life experience to take such a huge step.

what the hell is the emphasis on marriage being a symbol of your love? surely people can be just as happy and in love as an unmarried couple. i find it ridiculous that people think the second they think they love someone they should get married. this reinforces this idea that young people dont have the life experience to understand what marriage actually means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    well, not me, but my best friend i think it's so sad that she's getting married at such a young age! I don't doubt her love, but....i dunno, am i the only one who thinks 18 is far too young?
    My mum married at 17. That was 30 years ago. She is still with my dad, and they have been very happy together.

If they are going to last, then the age they get married is not an issue.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.