The Student Room Group
Reply 1
roseonthegrave
Any info on Death by Dehydration - need it for my english oral. How long does it take to become fatal, what are the effects etc etc.

Many thanks,

Pete

a guy called gehard :confused: or something died of dehydration when he was walking to Zabriske point - i'll try n find some more info for you
Reply 2
cheers
Reply 3
roseonthegrave
Any info on Death by Dehydration - need it for my english oral. How long does it take to become fatal, what are the effects etc etc.

Many thanks,

Pete

Desert Tragedies

Hiker Dies Near Popular Viewpoint

Ingrid and Gerhard were only a few days into their summer vacation in the United States when they arrived in Death Valley. A guidebook they had brought from home described the hike from Golden Canyon to Zabriskie Point, which proved irresistible to Gerhard. The trail was only a few miles from developed Furnace Creek so it seemed safe. Although he would be getting a late start at noon and the temperature was already more than 100° F (38° C) in the shade, Gerhard believed the hike would take only half an hour to complete. He was mistaken. Even on a mild winter day the nearly three mile hike over highly eroded badlands takes to 2 hours. He was also mistaken to think he would need less than a liter of water to complete the hike on the hot June day, which was becoming hotter by the minute.

Ingrid agreed to drive around and meet him at Zabriskie Point. From the viewpoint she could watch for Gerhard to cross over the colorful landscape. Three hours after their arranged rendezvous time there was still no sign of him; she became worried enough to seek help. She told rangers at the visitor center about her overdue husband and a search was begun in 112° F (45° C) heat. A quick overflight in the park airplane revealed a figure fitting his description in lower Gower Gulch, the next drainage south of Golden Canyon. Although rangers reached Gerhard only hours after he was first reported missing and only 5 hours after he had started his hike, he was dead. Heat stroke proved to be the culprit.

OK - maybe it was heat stroke - dehydration too though
Reply 4
advice for walking in death valley - has some stuff on drinking lots of water and dehydration:

General Safety

The National Park Service is repleat with safety tips, warnings, and advice - and they're not afraid to use them. here are some general safety tips to keep in mind when planning your visit to Death Valley.

Water: Drink at least one gallon (4liters) of water per day to replace loss from perspiration. Carry plenty of extra drinking water in your car and while hiking.

Heat & Dehydration: If you feel dizzy, nauseous or a headache, get out of the sun immediately and drink plenty of water. Dampen clothing to lower your body temperature. Heat and dehydration can kill.

Hiking: Do not hike in the low elevations when temperatures are hot. The mountains are cooler in summer, but can have snow and ice in winter.

Summer Driving: Stay on paved roads in summer. If your car breaks down, stay with it until help comes. Be prepared; carry plenty of extra water.

Flash Floods: Avoid canyons during rain storms and be prepared to move to higher ground. While driving, be alert for water running in washes and across road dips.
Mine Hazards: Do not enter mine tunnels or shafts. Mines may be unstable, have hidden shafts, pockets of bad air and poisonous gas.

Dangerous Animals: Never place your hands or feet where you cannot see first. Rattlesnakes, scorpions or black widow spiders may be sheltered there.

In Case of Emergency: Dial 911 from any telephone or cell phone. Cell phones may not work in many parts of the park, do not depend on them.
Reply 5
thanks, that's the kinda stuff I need :smile:
Reply 6
A lot of ecstasy related deaths turned out to be from dehydration.
My cousin got dehydrated when we were in Death Valley, I remember it really clearly even though I was only 5 and he had to go to hospital (unless I am mixing up times) anyway heres a website that might help!

http://quickcare.org/gast/dehydrate.html
Reply 8
If you were stuck in a desert without water, couldn't you survive by drinking your own piss?

no - you won't have any if you're dehydrated

Latest

Trending

Trending