EstebanK0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
We've finished the AS modules for biology and now starting A2. The next few months that remain before summer starts are to be dedicated towards coursework (6BI06). Is anyone else starting on coursework as well?

I was just wondering what would be some good topics to consider in order to get a high mark. I was thinking about doing something like how light intensity affects the rate of photosynthesis but idk.

Any thoughts?
Clare~Bear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've completed A2 edexcel biology. We started the CW last summer.

Especially if you're having a different teacher next year, for the love of god make sure you finish at least a first draft of this by either the end of this term or by September.

We did the investigation this time last year. Back in the class we wrote up what we were going to include in each section and did most of the statistical stuff.

I then kinda forgot about it. We then had a knew teacher who had taught under a different exam board. She wasn't even aware of the coursework! Or the pre-released article we need for our exam next week (in the end, we got it about a month ago, even though it was released nearly a month before that!) Until we mentioned them to her.

It was a nightmare and we ended up handing them in 2 days before they had to be submitted!
EstebanK0
Rep:
?
I've got the same two teachers I had this year for next year.
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Still, you might not want to do work over the summer hols, but please do, if you need to finish the first draft of it or whatever, if you get stuck, you can message me . The A2 topics are very time consuming. Just be glad that photosynthesis and respiration are on different exams. Trust me, you'll thank edexcel for that when you see how complicated they are but also how they look almsot identical!!!!! - OCR people have them on the same exam!
highams 95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by EstebanK0)
We've finished the AS modules for biology and now starting A2. The next few months that remain before summer starts are to be dedicated towards coursework (6BI06). Is anyone else starting on coursework as well?

I was just wondering what would be some good topics to consider in order to get a high mark. I was thinking about doing something like how light intensity affects the rate of photosynthesis but idk.

Any thoughts?
i am and i don't even have any ideas on what to do for my coursework, any ideas?
EstebanK0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clare~Bear)
Still, you might not want to do work over the summer hols, but please do, if you need to finish the first draft of it or whatever, if you get stuck, you can message me . The A2 topics are very time consuming. Just be glad that photosynthesis and respiration are on different exams. Trust me, you'll thank edexcel for that when you see how complicated they are but also how they look almsot identical!!!!! - OCR people have them on the same exam!
Thanks for the advice. I'm most probably going to do bulks of it over the summer, just don't really know what to do it on atm.

Was thinking about doing something on light intensity and the rate of photosynthesis. My teacher recommended us to do something so that results can be obtained over a short period of time such as a titration.

Any suggestions?
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for the advice. I'm most probably going to do bulks of it over the summer, just don't really know what to do it on atm.

Was thinking about doing something on light intensity and the rate of photosynthesis. My teacher recommended us to do something so that results can be obtained over a short period of time such as a titration.

Any suggestions?
Please do!

The school I was at during my AS year organised a trip to the local marshes each year. We collected peat/clay marsh data for plants, and insect samples from two dykes. We then ended up with a tonne of data without having to repeat it much ourselves. Our teacher suggested just basing our study on the amrshes or dykes so you can include enough data. We took temperature and ph readings and whatnot to explain the differences. And in the discussion explained how they would affect the biodiversity. And with the marshes it was easy to explain outliers cos you could just say that peat didn't have many species, but species X is better suited to peat because of z.

How would you do a biological titration? Cos you can jsut use Ph to work out the acidity of something biological.
EstebanK0
Rep:
?
I've decided to based it on either how intensity of light affects the rate of photosynthesis or how light colours affect the rate of photosynthesis. Just need to design an experiment and get some prelims done.

Thanks Clare for your advice. Much appreciated/
EstebanK0
Rep:
?
I was just wondering, what grade did you get in the cw?
Nu1tha
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got an A Very relieved that the time and money on the field trip paid off. lool
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
a U. The teacher was clueless, and said it was good (maybe a C/B).
EstebanK0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clare~Bear)
a U. The teacher was clueless, and said it was good (maybe a C/B).
A U? Damn. What did you get for all the other modules? What was your grade overall? Have you got into uni?
Mollymod
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Any thoughts?
Yeah, I started coursework back in June after a trip to the forest, and our coursework is based on ecology. Light intensity's a good one, and you can hypothesise well on it.

I'm like 1200 words over the maximum limit, it was literally impossible for me to finish the report, and there's still more I could add to make it a better piece of work, but I stopped where I did, which is about 4700. Will I be penalised massively for it? And is there a TSR coursework draft forum at all?

I really want/have to do better than AS. I got a middle D in Biology, partly because my Unit 2 was a D, and also because I had no idea what to do for the coursework. Looking back over it, it's cringeworthy, and I'm surprised I even got a D for it...

But I realise how much a good coursework can help you. Particularly in Chemistry.

I realised I'm a bit late with my own contribution. Apologies.
EstebanK0
Rep:
?
I got a C overall in Biology AS. I got a B in 6BI01, an A in 6BI03 (Coursework) and a bloody D in 6BI02
Mollymod
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't worry, the same happened to my friend. I got a C in Unit 1, a D in unit 2 and a D in the coursework,
so I'm going to have to really redeem it this year.
EstebanK0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mollymod)
Don't worry, the same happened to my friend. I got a C in Unit 1, a D in unit 2 and a D in the coursework,
so I'm going to have to really redeem it this year.
What other subjects are you doing?
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A U? Damn. What did you get for all the other modules? What was your grade overall? Have you got into uni?
I've got an E overall, guess I'm not gonna be doing marine biology. That was my only a2, I'm doing 3 a2s this year and hopefully getting onto oceanography which is basically a broader course which includes a few marine biology topics.
Mollymod
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What other subjects are you doing?
Chemistry and German.
I dropped Music Technology at AS.
EstebanK0
Rep:
?
I hope you do well in all your subjects and get onto the course you want to

Just give it your all!
Mollymod
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thank you!
Same with you, what subjects do you study other than Bio?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (32)
13.79%
Virtual campus tours/open days (51)
21.98%
Live streaming events (22)
9.48%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (23)
9.91%
A uni comparison tool (54)
23.28%
An in-person event when available (50)
21.55%