The Student Room Group

AQA Unit 3 Mathematics 13 June 2012 - Unofficial Mark Scheme [43603H] [GCSE]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Can anyone remember how many marks the question where you had to work out bearing of C from D or whatever was?
Reply 121
Original post by Will2012
Can anyone remember how many marks the question where you had to work out bearing of C from D or whatever was?

2 marks
Reply 122
Original post by ads22uk
2 marks

Hi there, do you know how much all of the vector questions were added together? And if you can... the concrete question as well.

Thanks

Jack
Original post by ads22uk
2 marks

I'm sure it was only 1 mark (???)
Original post by ellewoodings
I get that the triangle would make it 60degrees, but the actual arc wasnt from the triangle, there was a semi circle added, and the edge was curved so it looks like its 180, so i dont see why it is 60, could somebody please explain

The semi circle was to throw you, it's simply an arc and the triangle is there to get the 60 degrees.
Reply 125
Original post by JDee
Hi there, do you know how much all of the vector questions were added together? And if you can... the concrete question as well.

Thanks

Jack

I think the concrete question was 4 marks, the vectors I remember seeing 2 and 2 I think...But I'm not 100% sure.
I found this paper pretty good at the beginning, but it was more difficult at the end, then I ran out of time >.<

I really want to get a B in maths overall, but if I get a C on this paper, will I still manage to scrape a B, do you think? I have 127 "points" overall, a B for Unit 1 and a B for Unit 2.

Thanks in advance, good luck to everybody if you've taken this paper :biggrin:
Reply 127
Original post by charliehavana
I found this paper pretty good at the beginning, but it was more difficult at the end, then I ran out of time >.<

I really want to get a B in maths overall, but if I get a C on this paper, will I still manage to scrape a B, do you think? I have 127 "points" overall, a B for Unit 1 and a B for Unit 2.

Thanks in advance, good luck to everybody if you've taken this paper :biggrin:

To get a B overall you need 83/120 marks on this paper. 84/120 marks is the lowest B you can get, so if you were to get a C on this paper it is unlikely you would get a B overall. If you get a B or higher on this paper you will definitely get a B overall :smile:
OK, thankyou! I hope I have got a B, I counted through the paper at the end to see where I thought I might've lost marks (through not knowing how to answer the question/questions I got stuck on etc.), and would've given myself about 43 out of 80...fingers crossed it's enough for a B! :smile:

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by PrinceUpsb
To get a B overall you need 83/120 marks on this paper. 84/120 marks is the lowest B you can get, so if you were to get a C on this paper it is unlikely you would get a B overall. If you get a B or higher on this paper you will definitely get a B overall :smile:

Hi there, the grade boundaries for this paper have not yet been released and will not be released until results day in August. You may be looking at the Specimen paper where these were the only grade boundaries given to teachers. There was no grade boundaries set for the Practice question papers.
Reply 130
Original post by JDee
Hi there, the grade boundaries for this paper have not yet been released and will not be released until results day in August. You may be looking at the Specimen paper where these were the only grade boundaries given to teachers. There was no grade boundaries set for the Practice question papers.

I'm clearly talking about UMS which is known. Everything I said is correct and true.
Reply 131
What was the 7 marker answer????

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Pretty sure the bearing of C to D was 164, considering through re-arranging the formula given of A = F +180 you get A - 180 = F, and therefore if you place the values in you get 344 (the given angle) - 180 = 164?

Also how many marks was the question do to with the volume of a cuboid where the length was 7 greater than the width?
Reply 133
Original post by IAmYourdog
Ok the arc length question is WRONG.

the triangle was equilateral. So all sides were 8cm!
So the SEMI-circles DIAMETER was 8cm.
Therefore its radius must be 4cm.

The arc length is pi x 2r or pi x D
Now the next bit is where everyone messed up and involved the triangles angles in their answers.
The angle you should have used was 180 degrees as it infact a semi circle.
180/360 x pi x D = answer.

the radius is 8cm
radius = the distance from the circumference of the circle to the centre point.
Even though it is a semi-circle, the radius of a semi-circle is the same as a full circle.
And it is the angle of the triangle (60 degrees) that matters, not the semi-circle!
So it is 60/360 x pi x D where D is 16
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 134

Original post by woiiiichan
hmm maybe o well its only 1 mark :smile: they might allow it idk x

u will lose 1 mark :smile:
Reply 135
Original post by Abbseh
I got 72/80 and my maths teacher told me I only just got an A*, literally 71 an A and 72 being an A*!

diff. test has diff. grade boundaries
so we r all not 100% sure yet
Reply 136
Original post by nickwoood
Your maths teacher was just raising the standards for you to make you work harder, the grade boundaries for A* are always much lower than 90% with Unit 2, an A* was only 42/66..

UK standards are lower
im some countries it actually takes 90% to get A* (the papers aren't any easier)
just fyi
Reply 137
Original post by ellewoodings
I get that the triangle would make it 60degrees, but the actual arc wasnt from the triangle, there was a semi circle added, and the edge was curved so it looks like its 180, so i dont see why it is 60, could somebody please explain

Next time, don't assume by using the diagram because it is said it is not drawn accurately, only assume by using the diagram when it says that it is drawn to scale.

First of all, it was NOT a semi circle, it was an ARC of a bigger circle than what u wudve thought, since it is not drawn accurately .If you continue to draw the arc till its a full circle, a square made up of 4 of the triangles will fit in the circle, where the edges of the square will touch the circumference of the circle.

if u get my explanation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by PrinceUpsb
I'm clearly talking about UMS which is known. Everything I said is correct and true.

There's no need to be so abrupt & snappy. Let's try and remain civilised and talk normally.

The UMS marks have not yet been released also. The 120 mark does not change, but the actual grade boundaries in UMS format do.

Many thanks.
Reply 139
Original post by JDee
There's no need to be so abrupt & snappy. Let's try and remain civilised and talk normally.

The UMS marks have not yet been released also. The 120 mark does not change, but the actual grade boundaries in UMS format do.

Many thanks.

For UMS:

90% = A*
80% = A
70% = B

and so on... always.

Quick Reply