The Student Room Group

Make-Up advert discribes freckles as a 'flaw'.

So, whilst watching copious amounts of daytime TV yesterday, I couldn't help but notice that there is a advert for a brand of make-up (which has now slipped my mind) that claims to cover up all skin flaws - one of which is freckles.

I was actually quite offended by this, after having to deal with 6+ years of 'can we play dot to dot on your face', 'you're so dirty, we can see it on your skin' type remarks I've recently started to LIKE my freckles, and embrace them.

Am I the only person who thinks this may be damaging to pre-teen/early-teen's? (Not just girls, as I know my brother struggled with bullying due to his freckles, too).

I've been thinking about writing a letter of complaint to the company (if the name ever comes back to me/I ever see the advert again), what do people think of this?

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

I have a few moles on my face and a 'beauty spot' i.e. dark mole under my lip and they're pretty much seen as a flaw. You get used to it.
Yes! I think you should write a letter, outline your own personal experience and why you think this may be detrimental to teenage self esteem.

I have freckles too, and if a complete stranger came up to me and told me they were a flaw, ie 'she'd be pretty without the freckles', i'd be insulted, so why should an advert be any different?
Original post by sarahthegemini
I have a few moles on my face and a 'beauty spot' i.e. dark mole under my lip and they're pretty much seen as a flaw. You get used to it.

I'm not sure I've ever seen my freckles as flaws. I quite like them :biggrin:
It's disgusting how advertising is used to insidiously undermine people's self-image and self-esteem in order to make more money. I think it's very damaging and extremely cynical, and if you want to write to them you definitely should!
Reply 5
I have freckles myself too which I am rather fond of, and in fact I find it annoying that make-up covers them up! Quite ironic in this context :tongue:
I agree they should not encourage freckles to be seen as flaws - they're completely natural and are seen as cute by most people! The company is obviously trying to encourage a huge mass market to think they need to buy that make-up product to cover up the "flaw" in order to make lots of money, but it's wrong. Not only do teens and young adults have distorted views about body image and breast size and how skinny they are, but if something like freckles are introduced as a flaw, children will become more self-conscious from an even earlier age. Luckily I don't think (or at least I hope) this opinion will catch on, but I don't see the harm in writing a letter of complaint anyway to the company. They need to know that what they're doing is essentially wrong!
Reply 6
I think freckles are quite nice on a girl!
Reply 7
Arg, this is so annoying. My little sister is eleven and already really self-concious about her freckles. I keep telling her that I love them and ever since I was a kid, I've wished I had more freckles- and the thing is, I'm not even saying it to make her feel better, it's true, I think they're adorable.
Reply 8
Freckles are brilliant- this advert is just another example of media and advertising campaigns which attempt to get us to dislike anything out of the ordinary or which isn't conventionally attractive I think.
I love freckles!! I've always been jealous of people who have them...
I don't know whether writing to them would actually make a difference but it's worth a go even just to prove a point :smile:
But freckles are so cute!
Makeup and skincare adverts are the worst, if you look at their supposed statistics of people trying out their products, it often says vague things like "7 out of 10 women noticed a difference", when that difference could be absolutely anything!

Freckles are definitely not a flaw, they were wrong to imply that they were.
Freckles are nice as long as they aren't too extreme and cover up the whole face etc. A couple of freckles around the nose and cheeks are cute IMO.
young person ambivalent about freckles = not a customer

young person ashamed of freckles = brand new customer

I expect they are fully aware of what they are doing :biggrin:
Reply 14
I have a fair few freckles and although I'd probably get rid of them if you gave me the chance to, I don't really see it as a big deal and, unless everybody I know is really good at keeping things from me, not many other people do either. I think it's probably right that cosmetic corporations' adverts are designed to make you feel insecure. It's pretty low really and it's one of those things that makes you resent capitalism.
I actually prefer it when I've had a bit of sun to my face and my freckles come out more, otherwise they don't really notice. I think they're cute, especially around the nose.
We should all write letters to the company and shame them. I love freckles, they're little sun kisses.
Reply 17
I think it is just an example of how good (or heavy is that the right word) the coverage is since most makeup don't cover them it must be high coverage?

I really wouldn't take it personally.
Reply 18
Original post by milkytea
I have a fair few freckles and although I'd probably get rid of them if you gave me the chance to, I don't really see it as a big deal and, unless everybody I know is really good at keeping things from me, not many other people do either. I think it's probably right that cosmetic corporations' adverts are designed to make you feel insecure. It's pretty low really and it's one of those things that makes you resent capitalism.

if you actually want to be less freckly. there are creams to get rid of them, or make them less noticeable. lemon juice also works. I'm guessing from the rest of your post that you don't care enough to buy a cream but you could try lemon juice.
That's crazy. Freckles are cute. It's like when you watch style shows and you've always got to dress to look as tall as possible. Anything but is a flaw, apparently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending