The Student Room Group

3rd Year Abroad - Thread I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemonade13
Is it just me or time is flying by? In my case this is good and bad as iv got my YA project to do but also i cant wait to see my family/friends again! Before Christmas i felt like time went really slow and now its different. When are you guys planning on going back to the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My second term hasn't even started yet! Although I find that happens even at uni in the UK.
Reply 81
Original post by Lemonade13
Is it just me or time is flying by? In my case this is good and bad as iv got my YA project to do but also i cant wait to see my family/friends again! Before Christmas i felt like time went really slow and now its different. When are you guys planning on going back to the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems I won't get to the UK until September. I was considering a few days' visit in March, but then I was invited to a graduation ball at my high school back in the Czech Republic... I find that since terms are usually very short at UK unis and there are lots of Reading Weeks as well over the year, it's difficult to find a date when I'd have time and my London friends would have time as well.
I hate the teaching method here so much :angry:

One of my Austrian literature classes is basically an A-Z of Austrian authors, where the teacher tells you the life stories of 30 authors and the plots of about 50 books. And you just write down what she says, no analysis or anything. Dreading my exam on this next Wednesday, because although the content is like year 7/year 8 level I'm used to covering less material but in more depth.

Plus there are hundreds of people in each class, so you often end up standing up for 2/3 hours, and lots of students cheat openly - people were swapping strategies on facebook and apparently the teachers don't even care :eek:

/rant :p:
Reply 83
Original post by xmarilynx
I hate the teaching method here so much :angry:

One of my Austrian literature classes is basically an A-Z of Austrian authors, where the teacher tells you the life stories of 30 authors and the plots of about 50 books. And you just write down what she says, no analysis or anything. Dreading my exam on this next Wednesday, because although the content is like year 7/year 8 level I'm used to covering less material but in more depth.

Plus there are hundreds of people in each class, so you often end up standing up for 2/3 hours, and lots of students cheat openly - people were swapping strategies on facebook and apparently the teachers don't even care :eek:

/rant :p:

I can't say I enjoy the teaching method here in France much :/ I had a few 3 hour lectures last semester and mst of them had no PowerPoints and the French students were just typing everything down word for word whilst I was sitting there like :eek: and trying to stay awake :tongue: And in my German class she gave us a test with the EXACT same translations we'd done in class? How do they ever LEARN anything if all they have to do is repeat partrot-fashion??

Talking of cheating, one of my friends was doing a test and as she left she saw the French studrnts at the back cheating and the lecturer didn't even notice :eek:
Registering for my second semester on Monday! Honestly so excited about starting again, even if it does mean 8am starts every day :fuhrer:
Reply 85
Is anyone doing an ERASMUS in Spain?
Reply 86
Original post by number23
Is anyone doing an ERASMUS in Spain?

Yep, I am.
second term is so much easier than first and I'm only a week in! The homesickness is going and classes definitely feel alot easier
Reply 88
Original post by Ivanka
Yep, I am.

How do you find it?
I want to apply to Granada University for this September
Reply 89
How do you find it?
I want to apply to Granada University for this September

Are you planning to apply for the Faculty of Philosophy and Arts?

I'm there and my impression is that it's not a lot of work, but I would strongly recommend Arabic classes with Inalecio, he's a good chap.
Reply 90
2nd semester timetable is out and I've avoided any 8AMs :biggrin:
Don't even have to start before 1.30 if I don't want to, but there are some really interesting-looking courses before that on a Friday.
And it turns out that the flight I booked, thinking I'd be back a ay after lectures started, will actually get me back in the week before they start! Hooray for induction weeks and biannual intakes! :biggrin:

However, revising for exams is horrible, and trying to remember all the things I have to take to the exam, without a written checklist anywhere, is ridiculous. Student ID. Personal ID (passport). Pre-printed exam header. Special exam paper. Pens. Law text, with ONE colour highlighting and index tabs, and no words but numbers are fine! Dictionary, but not a legal dictionary.
Reply 91
Original post by Ivanka
Are you planning to apply for the Faculty of Philosophy and Arts?

I'm there and my impression is that it's not a lot of work, but I would strongly recommend Arabic classes with Inalecio, he's a good chap.

No, Maths. Never thought about learning Arabic when I get there but thats a good idea actually!

Is it hard to get a place?
Reply 92
No, Maths. Never thought about learning Arabic when I get there but thats a good idea actually!

Is it hard to get a place?

Not sure - I was told at uni that the most competitive places for students of hispanic studies are in Madrid. granada should be fine, methinks.
Reply 93
Seems that I witnessed a botellón for the first time in my life yesterday :emo:

I went to a tearoom (know as tetería over here) where I saw a bunch of youngsters (10 to 15 people) standing in front of the house or sitting on the stairs. I entered inside. However, they started being noisy after a while, so the owner of the tearoom went out and told them to stop and leave. They addressed her in a very patronising way (maybe worth noting the owner is a Moroccan hijabi and these youngsters were perhaps all ordinarily dressed whites). When she was leaving, they were still telling her off and showing her gestures. I decided to talk to them as well, but I was just laughed at and when I got back to my table, some girls started knocking at the window and one of them showed me her middle finger. Then a boy from the group got in and asked the owner for a cigarette. She said she didn't have any, so the boy shut the door. Then another girl was shaking with it, but, luckily, they all disappeared. When I was going home, I noticed a banana husk on the window ledge.
Hopefully it's alright to ask this here.

As an international student coming to the UK to study languages, what would cover our fees if we went to, say, France for our third year? Could we use our yearly tuition fees+college fees paid to the UK university for living the the country in the year abroad, or would we have to pay that money + find an alternate way to finance ourselves while we are in France (for example). Sorry if this is a confusing question :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by H_Aple
Hopefully it's alright to ask this here.

As an international student coming to the UK to study languages, what would cover our fees if we went to, say, France for our third year? Could we use our yearly tuition fees+college fees paid to the UK university for living the the country in the year abroad, or would we have to pay that money + find an alternate way to finance ourselves while we are in France (for example). Sorry if this is a confusing question :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

At Edinburgh, during the third year, the fees are cut in half just for that year. I don't know about other universities though and I heard that this may change.
Original post by Quick-use
At Edinburgh, during the third year, the fees are cut in half just for that year. I don't know about other universities though and I heard that this may change.

Thanks. I find it weird how the unis charge heaps and your not really attending the uni, your in another country for the majority of the year. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
To those studying in Spain, does anyone know which universities would be better for studying music or history as its likely that my degree will be one of these combined with spanish. Im 16 and haven't even started A-levels yet so I have a long time to think about this but I am hearing so much about poor quality of teaching and wondering if it is even worth studying abroad and considering doing work placements instead. I'm also very unsure if I choose to do music as its unlikely that I will know enough of the technical terminology in spanish. I suppose a music and spanish student is quite rare but can anyone tell me about good spanish unis for it and history?
Reply 98
Also what type of work placements would realistically be available to those working abroad? I think that my career may involve something down the broadcasting/journalism route but I imagine this would be extremely difficult to get especially in a foreign country. I just suppose I need to be a bit more informed about the work placements in general tbh
6 months in China today! Honestly don't know where the time's gone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending