Braces free over 18?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
tinchy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Basically, i really want braces for my top teeth, i don't know why my dentist didn't give me them, need them due to some gaps. It affects how i smile. Can i still get them done for free or do i have to pay as i'm over 18? thanks for your help guys
Ayshizzle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tinchy)
Basically, i really want braces for my top teeth, i don't know why my dentist didn't give me them, need them due to some gaps. It affects how i smile. Can i still get them done for free or do i have to pay as i'm over 18? thanks for your help guys
You'll have to go private and pay for them I'm afraid.
tinchy
Rep:
?
any idea of costs?
snowflake23
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No you won't be able to get them for free..you will have to go private if you want them.

The cost will vary upon each dentist and the severity of your teeth etc. Costs will average usually between £2000-£5000
tinchy
Rep:
?
oh brilliant
Ayshizzle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Search for private orthodontists in your area, most of them will have websites and will have price lists on them.

But yes, as someone said above the price will vary due to a number of factors such as how long you will need to wear them for, and the type of fixed appliance you want.
Gales
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was under 18 and had to pay for them myself, my dentist told me that due to cuts they will only do quite bad teeth now. Mine weren't too bad and affected my confidence, but still had to pay :/
Gales
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, but mine cost £500. I was expecting to pay much more, but since my teeth weren't *too* bad and I don't have to have them on for long, it was much cheaper.
millie-rose
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
im 18 and i went to see if i could get them free. they said because i had under a 4mm gap between teeth they wont be free. (dont quote me on that, it might have been 5 or 6 i cant remember)

but if your over a certain gap measurement,they become free as you 'need' it for oral health rather than appearence
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
there are clinical criteria for braces etc, i.e. malocclusion etc, you don't get NHS orthodontics for cosmetic reasons
Tinsley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got my top teeth done privately, cost me 2K. Another 2K for the bottom ones if I wanted those done.

Gaps generally aren't a massive reason for braces, it tends to be more overcrowding which will get worse with the appearance of wisdom teeth, unless the gaps are quite large.

My teeth got a lot worse when I was 18, hence why I got my braces just after I turned 19 (had them on for 11 months). I am really happy with them now, my confidence is so much better I never could have imagined it. I could have got braces on the NHS when I was 17 but like my dentist said, did I want to lose two healthy teeth to straighten my others, and I didn't. Luckily with going private and using the type of brace they did I didn't even need teeth taken out
HeatherHatter
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I heard that you could sometimes get orthodontic treatment free when you were over 18? You can certainly get dental treatment free if you're in full time education and not earning enough, if you fill out an HC1 form and get an HC2...

What I heard was that if mistakes were made when you were younger, which has affected your teeth in the future, those would be corrected free of charge, if those mistakes were major. For example, I know someone who had an orthodontist that pulled out their bottom front tooth because it was slightly behind the others, and then fitting a brace to straighten and keep the rest in place, rather than pulling out some back ones and fitting a brace to straighten the whole mouth. In later life, this person was given what was basically an entire tooth made out of a filling so they didn't have a gap in the front of their mouth any longer. They didn't have to pay a penny, they even got a white filling rather than a silver one like you usually would.

But they don't give braces as often any more, if you've got big gaps, or overbites, or there's crowding, teeth missing or something major then you can, but otherwise they don't offer them.
james :P
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey i'm 16, I had braces before, not 'train tracks' but glorified retaners, they've made my jaw grow slightly to the left and my bottom teeth crowd and one go at near side ways, i'm really self conscious about it, I want to have proper braces to correct my jaw and teeth, re align and straighten it, had a terrible dentist --__-, as ive already had a treatment would I still be able to get train tracks on the NHS? sorry to ask but the NHS website doesn't really clarify
dooobie_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tinsley)
I got my top teeth done privately, cost me 2K. Another 2K for the bottom ones if I wanted those done.

Gaps generally aren't a massive reason for braces, it tends to be more overcrowding which will get worse with the appearance of wisdom teeth, unless the gaps are quite large.

My teeth got a lot worse when I was 18, hence why I got my braces just after I turned 19 (had them on for 11 months). I am really happy with them now, my confidence is so much better I never could have imagined it. I could have got braces on the NHS when I was 17 but like my dentist said, did I want to lose two healthy teeth to straighten my others, and I didn't. Luckily with going private and using the type of brace they did I didn't even need teeth taken out
I had my teeth put in braces for free on the NHS (I lost my retainers when I went travelling and my teeth went back to normal.. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR RETAINERS) and now I pay £120 for a session and I only need 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bemnet
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, i am 21 years old I came to London 5 months ago for studying at university for 3 years. I have been wearing braces for more than a year and now now I need my braces fixed, and I only have a student visa so I can't work. Two teeth have been taken out for the braces. Can I get free treatment?
Maryeep
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wanted braces when I was younger because my bottom teeth were slightly wonky. Now I've had all 4 wisdom teeth for a couple of years the front two bottom have overlapped, not really that bad but it's starting to hurt. It isn't unbearable pain, but has been there and noticeable for the past few days, it's starting to affect my sleep.
I'm 19 in full time education, check up trip to the dentist booked for a few weeks where I will mention this. I hope they will take it seriously and if braces are needed they will be free.
Anyone with an experience similar to this?
Mohamed guled
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had braces when I was 13 got it off when I was 14 but lost my retainers whilst travelling and now my front teeth have all got gaps between it and I don't know if I can get braces for free again
h3isenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mohamed guled)
I had braces when I was 13 got it off when I was 14 but lost my retainers whilst travelling and now my front teeth have all got gaps between it and I don't know if I can get braces for free again
You won't be able to. But if you're still under 18 you might get a cheaper rate.
Mohamed guled
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by h3isenberg)
You won't be able to. But if you're still under 18 you might get a cheaper rate.
Like how much
Lt95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you go private? Also how did you find a place to do it?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (812)
42.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.7%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads