The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 5 June 19 2012

Scroll to see replies

Guys is this right? Hexa aqua ions are coloured due to promoted electrons falling back to lower energy levels and releasing energy in the visible spectrum.

However where water ligands have been replaced by other ligands, the D-orbital is split and the subsequent d-d electron movement absorb all visible light except a specific colour?
Original post by arnab
why do we need to know about this diagram? :s-smilie:

because it's within r syllabus
chromium(ii) ehatnoate is special chromium compound cause normally chromium is stable in compounds when it has and oxi state of +3 ,+6 but chromium(ii) ehatnoate is stable and has a +2 oxi state

the reaction procedure is explained in the attachment

so it's a possible topic to mix with some synoptic questions and ask

this also has many hazards
*solid sodium dichromate is toxic carcinogenic and an irritant
*conc HCl - corrosive
*Zn powder and H2 are highly flammable
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by King_Arthur
because it's within r syllabus
chromium(ii) ehatnoate is special chromium compound cause normally chromium is stable in compounds when it has and oxi state of +3 ,+6 but chromium(ii) ehatnoate is stable and has a +2 oxi state

the reaction procedure is explained in the attachment

so it's a possible topic to mix with some synoptic questions and ask

this also has many hazards
*solid sodium dichromate is toxic carcinogenic and an irritant
*conc HCl - corrosive
*Zn powder and H2 are highly flammable

ahh cool. So we bascally need to know how to prepare chromium(ii) ehatnoate and just know the diagram?
Do you guys feel that unit 5 will be better than unit 4? I think that for some reason; the content in unit 4 is more llikely to come up with trricky questions.. i dont think thats the case with unit 5.
Reply 144
Original post by shahofiran
Do you guys feel that unit 5 will be better than unit 4? I think that for some reason; the content in unit 4 is more llikely to come up with trricky questions.. i dont think thats the case with unit 5.

what type of question do they ask in u5? I haven't done any past paper yet....
Reply 145
Original post by bsblitter
Can someone explain to me when we have to use the platinum electrode in the half cells?

thanks

Platinum electrode is used when there are multiple ions in solution in the half cell and also in the standard hydrogen/calomel electrodes.
Original post by arnab
what type of question do they ask in u5? I haven't done any past paper yet....

Thats for you to find out lol :P

I mean with the content of unit 4 (like the acid-base topic) they asked tricky questions which f***ed me and other people over lol.

I just think unit 5 is better for some reason..
Reply 147
Original post by nmudz_009
Guys is this right? Hexa aqua ions are coloured due to promoted electrons falling back to lower energy levels and releasing energy in the visible spectrum.

However where water ligands have been replaced by other ligands, the D-orbital is split and the subsequent d-d electron movement absorb all visible light except a specific colour?

Ligands cause the metal ion's D orbitals to be split into two energy levels. A higher and lower level. Wavelengths of light with energy the same as that of the difference between energy levels are absorbed and the energy is used to promote electrons from the lower energy level to the higher level (This is a d-d transition). The electrons shortly 'fall back' to the lower level, releasing the energy difference as heat(not light). Hence, the solution appears the complimentary colour to that of the wavelength absorbed.

However, if the D orbitals are full, then promotion cannot take place, and so no light is absorbed -> it appears white. Equally if there are no ligands, there is no splitting of the d orbitals and hence, no absorption can take place.
Reply 148
Original post by im so fresh
just a quick question:
how much detail do we need to know about 3d sub-shells splitting into 2 energy levels due to ligands?

You need to know that and why the complex appears coloured. Check past paper mark schemes for a more complete answer.
Reply 149
Original post by Backflip
Ligands cause the metal ion's D orbitals to be split into two energy levels. A higher and lower level. Wavelengths of light with energy the same as that of the difference between energy levels are absorbed and the energy is used to promote electrons from the lower energy level to the higher level (This is a d-d transition). The electrons shortly 'fall back' to the lower level, releasing the energy difference as heat(not light). Hence, the solution appears the complimentary colour to that of the wavelength absorbed.

However, if the D orbitals are full, then promotion cannot take place, and so no light is absorbed -> it appears white. Equally if there are no ligands, there is no splitting of the d orbitals and hence, no absorption can take place.

Yeah basically, the light which is not absorbed, gets reflected back and we see that colour
Original post by arnab
a lot, i believe. most of the question from the PREVIOUS spec had always a 3-4marks questions on that lol

Original post by Backflip
You need to know that and why the complex appears coloured. Check past paper mark schemes for a more complete answer.

Could you guys link me to some questions or tell me where to find them?
Reply 151

Past question papers; http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/chemistry/Pages/default.aspx
Feeling quite confident on this mainly. Hoping we don't get any questions on the reaction between MnO4- and Cr2O4 because I always drop marks on those and find it hard to rememeber all the different half equations.

they are the new spec which i already know about.
Were there similar questions in the previous spec?
Reply 154
Original post by vedderfan94
Feeling quite confident on this mainly. Hoping we don't get any questions on the reaction between MnO4- and Cr2O4 because I always drop marks on those and find it hard to rememeber all the different half equations.

Mind writing them down here for us? it will be good revision for you too:wink:
Reply 155

i will try to post it tonight but not now as i am doing bio!:mad:
Reply 156
Original post by vedderfan94
x

By the way this is for edexcel... :P
Original post by EffKayy
By the way this is for edexcel... :P

:erm:....*leaves*
Reply 158
can anyone explain to me what is fuel cells?
Reply 159
Original post by nmudz_009
Im not clear about reactions with non-neutral ligands :frown: sorry, Have you got a list of which ones we need to kno and be able to write the equations of their ligand exchanges?

Sorry for the late reply but in my chemistry text book, (Edexcel Chem by Graham Hill and Andrew Hunt), has;

*chloro ligands Cl-
*fluoro ligands F-
*cyano ligands CN-
*hydroxo ligands OH-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending