Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want to know why i sound so different on my voice recordings?? i always know this is the case but i never know why?? is it me or is it the machine??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    i want to know why i sound so different on my voice recordings?? i always know this is the case but i never know why?? is it me or is it the machine??
    It's totally normal. The "voice" of your own that you hear is distorted as it travels through the skull. The recordings are what you'd sound like to other people. I listen to recordings and think "what a ****".

ReputationRep:
    Because your ears need cleaning

ReputationRep:
    The quality of the equipment used also matters a great deal, I had to produce a radio recording as apart of my course and my voice sounded good. However I was using a £200 mic and a £200 minidsic machine. This was then inputed to a £500 soundcard. If I recorded it on a cassete recorder with a built in mic my voice would sound awful as the recording would have very limited bandwidth.

ReputationRep:
    you hear yourself different to what other people hear you as, when u hear ur voice on tape, this is how u sound to most other people. terrifying innit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    The quality of the equipment used also matters a great deal, I had to produce a radio recording as apart of my course and my voice sounded good. However I was using a £200 mic and a £200 minidsic machine. This was then inputed to a £500 soundcard. If I recorded it on a cassete recorder with a built in mic my voice would sound awful as the recording would have very limited bandwidth.
    it always comes down to you and your expensive audio equipment, doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    yeah its so scary, i always thought my voice was good. but i when i hear myself on recordings, i so sound like a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Not mine, my universities, I only have cheapo crappy £10 mic from Maplin and a 1970's cassete deck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Not mine, my universities, I only have cheapo crappy £10 mic from Maplin and a 1970's cassete deck.
    cassette deck? thought they were destroyed by the dinosour wipe out...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    you hear yourself different to what other people hear you as, when u hear ur voice on tape, this is how u sound to most other people. terrifying innit.
    But then again, if other people could hear you how you sound to yourself, they would probably think it sounded awful and not a bit like you.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently I ahve a really deep voice. I never noticed that till I heard a recording of my voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    cassette deck? thought they were destroyed by the dinosour wipe out...?
    Lol no a lot can be said about a good cassete deck, a good one is actually better than Mini Disc in terms of sound quality. Still its a long way off from CD or vinyl.

ReputationRep:
    i heard somewhere or other that we have a projected image (image being the wrong word) of how we sound, and just take it for granted that we sound like that, even though we dont actually. so there.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the reply, but i am even more confuse than before. i guess its basically you and other people hear your voice differently??

ReputationRep:
    I sound lousy on a recording, and it's sort of freaky that that is how you sound to other people.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the reply, but i am even more confuse than before. i guess its basically you and other people hear your voice differently??
    yes, because your voice vibration goes a) out of the mouth, in the air, and to the ears; and b) from your vocal cords, through the skull and brain, to the ear. these to paths interfere, causing a different sound timbre than other people would hear

ReputationRep:
    Yeh! I sound horrendous on recordings and it freaks me out thinking that I MAY sound like that in real life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    more important is how you use it

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.