Turn on thread page Beta

What should happen to Ian Huntley? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    We were having this debate in RE today and there were very mixed views about. I, personally, think that death is the easy way out for him. However his time in jail isn't exactly "a living hell" because he has three meals a day, his own room with a television!!!
    What do you think? Should he be killed? Or is there another way around it?
    :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **bekks**)
    We were having this debate in RE today and there were very mixed views about. I, personally, think that death is the easy way out for him. However his time in jail isn't exactly "a living hell" because he has three meals a day, his own room with a television!!!

why should he be killed?

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of others who have done crimes on a similar level to that of Ian Huntley. So, the question is - Is capital punishment every justified?

No, the justice system is not about punishment it is built on rehablitation alongside punishment and capital punishment goes against this. It also does not act as dettorent as shown in American states where Murder rates remain high despite having the death penelty.

ReputationRep:
    he should be locked away for life, and put in with all the other murderers who have life sentences. I'm sure they would soon sort him out...

ReputationRep:
    I think even with a TV and three meals a day, the lack of free will and the barriers of prison are both a deterrant and punishment. I really dont think that he should be killed where is the punishment in that, he has tried to commit suicide in my mind it is the easy way out. It really does depend on your view of religion. If you believe in heaven and hell then I guess you would think that the death penalty is an adequate remedy but it doesnt fit with my beliefs at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but believe me he'll be getting a very hard time from his fellow inmates. Prisoners are usually scum, but even most prisoners hate kiddy molesters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Do you think Huntley is being rehabilitated at the moment, or ever will be?
    I dont think that everyone is capable of being rehabilitated.

ReputationRep:
    Why are we keeping him alive then?
    I suppose you could say that is his punishment. He'll almost certainly never be released, and every day is going to be like hell for him in there. I actually had an old school mate who went to jail a while ago, and he told me about some of the things that happened to paedophiles in there. For someone who has actually murdered as well as abused children, believe me he'll be getting torture right now.

ReputationRep:
    Is he mixing with other prisoners then? I assumed he'd be in solitary.

Either way, Its not really that much of a punishment is it? He could be getting worse. *thinks* Oh yes, he could be getting a lot worse.

Can you imagine him at about 70 (by which time most will have forgotten), living out a dreary but not too uncomfortable existence, having cost the taxpayer a tidy sum?
    The problem is though that while we may not have too much of a problem sentencing someone like Huntley to death, if we actually brought back the death sentence it opens the possibility for other people to be wrongly executed. I'm definately against the death penalty, and for the most part I'm in favour of rehabilition (where there is a real chance of successfully rehabilitating someone). Huntley as far I'm concerned can spend the rest of his days in jail.

ReputationRep:
    whos ian huntley?

ReputationRep:
    He murdered two ten year old girls in England last year (pretty sure it was early last year anyway). I actually did a quick google search to point you in the right direction, and funnily enough this link was the first one to appear:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2586489

Headline of the article, 'Child Killer Huntley Attacked in Jail'. Spooky coincidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    He murdered two ten year old girls in England last year (pretty sure it was early last year anyway). I actually did a quick google search to point you in the right direction, and funnily enough this link was the first one to appear:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2586489

Headline of the article, 'Child Killer Huntley Attacked in Jail'. Spooky coincidence?
    ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh was he the guy who was a janitor at a school and he and his gf kidnapped them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh was he the guy who was a janitor at a school and he and his gf kidnapped them?
    Yeah, that's him.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's him.
    ya he should just be shot... screw tv and meals... maybe a dark cell with some puddles... let him in general population for a nice beating every couple of days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    ya he should just be shot... screw tv and meals... maybe a dark cell with some puddles... let him in general population for a nice beating every couple of days
    lol, I think he's gonna get his fair shair of beatings inside prison I actually think prison is quite an adequate punishment. Execution is over very quickly. Living in an environment like jail will mean he'll live in constant fear and will recieve many a beating. Nice

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Huntley attempt suicide recently? I would have let him do it, instead more expense is spent putting guards on suicide watch.
    I would have no problem whatsoever if Huntley were to kill himself while a guard was on a convenient break.

ReputationRep:
    Although Huntley being killed would probably give Holly and Jessica'a famillies some form of closure (i.e. they wouldn't have to worry about him being released), I don't think it could be justified when people such as Hindley were allowed to live. The problem is that our prisons are more of a hotel to these people- given the choice, Huntley would probably choose to stay there than face the public's wrath. Murderers and peadophiles should be sent to prisons like the one run by Sheriff Joe Arpaio (dubbed 'America's Toughest Sheriff'). His jail is like a living hell for the prisoners and that's what people like Huntley should have to go through.

ReputationRep:
    Suz, as I said in a previous post, most prisoners absolutely despise paedophiles believe it or not. He will be recieving hell in there right now. There's an article posted in one of me previous posts about Huntley being attacked in jail. Sky news have an article about it too. Here it is:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...003196,00.html

We can't see what goes on in jail, and what does happen is mostly kept from us. His life will be absolute torture in there though, believe me. It's not gonna be like a hotel for him.

ReputationRep:
    Suz, as I said in a previous post, most prisoners absolutely despise paedophiles believe it or not. He will be recieving hell in there right now. There's an article posted in one of me previous posts about Huntley being attacked in jail. Sky news have an article about it too. Here it is:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...003196,00.html

We can't see what goes on in jail, and what does happen is mostly kept from us. His life will be absolute torture in there though, believe me. It's not gonna be like a hotel for him.
    Ok, so maybe calling it a 'hotel' is an exaggeration but still, suffering 'minor bruising' hardly compares to the suffering he subjected upon Holly and Jessica. He deserves to suffer for what he did and the image of him sitting around playing cards all day doesn't correlate with suffering to me.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what difference does it make whether he is dead or not? Other than satisfying some morally questionably bloodlust, it doesn't do anything important. Doesn't revive his victims. Doesn't rehabilitate him. Most likely isn't punishing him any more or less than the current incarceration. Doesn't benefit society in any real, non-emotional psychological sense.

All it does is satisfy the will of some members of society in their desire for bloodlust. Surely that contradicts the essence of the law and criminal system. If we did not value life, then his actions would not have been deemed crimes. Then if we do value life as is stipulated, the only just cause would be to try as hard as feasible to maintain his life.

Money is a weak argument. Surely the purpose of money in society is to provide reward what what we value. And this society supposedly values human life and thus funds institutions whose sole purposes are to preserve it. It is hence society's duty, according to the principles in the law and beyond, to maintain the lives of everyone as feasible - incosiderate of the costs.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.