The Student Room Group

My Dobe killed a fox

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Scumbaggio
His dog killed some vermin.

Why the hell would he get it destroyed?

Dogs are vermin in my opinion. They're dangerous and should be illegal.
watch out for a fox reprisal
Original post by mahaneap
Dogs are vermin in my opinion. They're dangerous and should be illegal.

Ha ha.

When did you last see a wild dog in the uk? Wild as in not domesticated.
Reply 23
Original post by Scumbaggio
Ha ha.

When did you last see a wild dog in the uk? Wild as in not domesticated.

I don't think I ever have. I don't know why that would be relevant though.
Reply 24
I used to keep a Rottweiler when I was living in UK. I'd gladly leave my 2 kids with her than with many humans. She has killed the following :-

2 snakes, both of which belonged to a neighbour who kept them as pets, 1 was venomous and most definitely would have harmed children if it ever bit any of them.
2 adult foxes.
4 cats.
Countless rats and mice.

It's generally within their nature to hunt and kill and its how big dogs generally see as their duty to kill to protect not just itself but also its master and family.

I certainly won't put down a dog that had killed a fox.... you rather your dog kill the fox or the fox kill or injure one of your family members or one of your neighbour's children?
Reply 25
Original post by Potential Trigger
Good point but he is. The only procedure that was done. No ear cropping or tail docking which is common for US dobes.

On a side note do people still do declawing for their dogs? It's something I would never dream of doing because it's natural for them and a part of who they are.

Haha, you won't have a dog declawed because it's natural but you'll have it neutered?! (not that I'm criticising, my dog has been neutered, I just found that funny!)

Are you sure your dog killed the fox, and didn't just find it?
Original post by Herr
I used to keep a Rottweiler when I was living in UK. I'd gladly leave my 2 kids with her than with many humans. She has killed the following :-

2 snakes, both of which belonged to a neighbour who kept them as pets, 1 was venomous and most definitely would have harmed children if it ever bit any of them.
2 adult foxes.
4 cats.
Countless rats and mice.

It's generally within their nature to hunt and kill and its how big dogs generally see as their duty to kill to protect not just itself but also its master and family.

I certainly won't put down a dog that had killed a fox.... you rather your dog kill the fox or the fox kill or injure one of your family members or one of your neighbour's children?

Fully agree mate.
Original post by CurlyBen
Haha, you won't have a dog declawed because it's natural but you'll have it neutered?! (not that I'm criticising, my dog has been neutered, I just found that funny!)

Are you sure your dog killed the fox, and didn't just find it?

Declawed and defanged cannot be compared to being neutered. It's common for a lot of animals to be neutered for practical purposes and doesn't have any adverse psychological effect. Whereas declawed and defanged is cruel and can lead to behavioral problems as natural defence/attack mechanisms have been removed.

Yes the fox was quite bloody with bite marks.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/8689-dog-bite-statistics-breed.html

Labs come in with 26 child maulings, 18 adult maulings and 9 deaths. Doberman come in with 11, 7 and 4 respectively. Check the thread out...

Original post by Kamaljot
Exactly my point, thank you for backing it up :smile:

I'm willing to bet that those figures aren't of much use, because (as far as I can tell) they make no allowances for how many dogs of each breed there are (nor do they seem to mention any sources, which country, or what time period). If there are more labs in the country, and they are generally perceived as family pets, so they are more likely to have access to children, and there are more chances for things to go wrong. I'm a bit nervous of labs myself, because my own dog has been attacked more than once, completely unprovoked (as in, dog just ran over to him, and attacked him straight off) by labs, in one instance so seriously he had to be stitched back together under general anesthetic.

And despite pomeranians showing up on that figure as having only one attack, I don't think they're suitable dogs to have around young children, simply because they are usually rather neurotic and not hugely tolerant - certainly if a child pulls their fur then they're likely to at least growl.

--------------

In answer to OP, it is entirely possible for some dogs to have a species-specific prey drive. Our own was obsessed with chasing cats (utterly incapable of running fast enough to catch a cat, let alone do it any damage if it did manage to catch it, hence why we weren't worried) but never showed any instinct to chase any other animals (squirrels, pigeons etc.), or even chase a ball. I think the closest we got was the occasional tug of war with a soft toy.

If you're worried, then make sure you muzzle him when you walk him / let him off the lead - better safe than sorry if you think he might start chasing other animals.
Original post by Kamaljot
This is what we call breed specific legislation, people dont realise ALL dog breeds have the potential to kill. But they target bull breeds (Staffordshire bull terriers, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Bull terriers, etc..) just because they were trained and bred to have a 'high' prey drive or were used for fighting. Does any one here about the Collie or Lab that killed a baby? No.

People need to learn its not the dogs, its the owners!

To OP: I wouldn't worry at all about your dog killing a fox. You have to remember that most dogs have a prey drive and will go out and kill rats/rabbits/cats/foxes because that's their natural instinct. If you are worried about it going after other dogs for instance, just keep him on a leash when walking or if you really need to use a muzzle :smile:
Reply 30
He had a "Death fox" in his mouth?? Sounds pretty nasty/quite cool...

Death fox... Like Star Fox's evil Brother...

Quick Reply

Latest