The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
G4ry
I don't think they're necessarily after respect. They just want people to be tolerant of them instead of people turning around to them and saying things along the lines of: "it doesn't matter what you think, you're a newbie..." etc. It's the be-littling of someone's argument just because they have joined the forum - that's the issue.

It's only when they have opinions regarding the running of the forum that the issue arises.

Ben
'
{ingnik']cool, well you've put that very non-sterotypical-newbie-ly, have some rep.

*Gives Kingnik a big hug*
Reply 22
suspicious_fish
*Gives Kingnik a big hug*

*checks gender of suspiscious_fish and hugs back*
Ben.S.
It's only when they have opinions regarding the running of the forum that the issue arises.

Ben

I'm with you there - you really do need experience to have a valid opinion on that.
'
{ingnik']*checks gender of suspiscious_fish and hugs back*

hehe... *pokes Kingnik with a spoon*
Reply 25
Ben.S.

Ben

Why? For all you know they could have been visiting this forum for months as a guest. They may be a member of other forums and have suggestions how to improve this one. Just because they joined it doesn't mean to say they can't comment.

They have as much right as us to comment on the forum. After all who are we to complain about the forum? If we don't like it, no-one's forcing us to come here. I've never seen on any other forums people slating the owner of the forum, the moderators and actually holding elections for moderators when the owner of the forum hasn't even mentioned about making a new mod.
Reply 26
piginapoke
A new headmaster knows how to run the school better than the student who's been there a few years...

Yes, but one would hope that he's had the training - never mind going through schooling himself.

Ben
Reply 27
piginapoke
A new headmaster knows how to run the school better than the student who's been there a few years...

But the student knows the school system more intimately than the new headmaster.
Reply 28
suspicious_fish
I've noticed a lot of slating of newbies as a race, and this makes me feel all lumpy inside.
Yeah, I'm a newbie, and although I may not be proud of it as such, please remember that it's just an accident of time that you crusties were here before me. Could be start a new era of newbie-respect?

Agreed, without new members the forum would become so entangled in its pseudo-politics that it would crumble and fall.

If anyone says anything like "your opinion is meaningless as you're just a newbie", send them to me and I'm pretty confident that for the vast majority (if not every nearly all of them) I can say the same thing right back in their face.

Regards,
But the student knows the school system more intimately than the new headmaster.

Some sort of coalition may be in order.
rahaydenuk
Agreed, without new members the forum would become so entangled in its pseudo-politics that it would crumble and fall.

If anyone says anything like "your opinion is meaningless as you're just a newbie", send them to me and I'm pretty confident that for the vast majority (if not every nearly all of them) I can say the same thing right back in their face.

Regards,

Feeling considerably more warm & fuzzy inside now. :smile:
Reply 31
G4ry
Why? For all you know they could have been visiting this forum for months as a guest. They may be a member of other forums and have suggestions how to improve this one. Just because they joined it doesn't mean to say they can't comment.

They have as much right as us to comment on the forum. After all who are we to complain about the forum? If we don't like it, no-one's forcing us to come here. I've never seen on any other forums people slating the owner of the forum, the moderators and actually holding elections for moderators when the owner of the forum hasn't even mentioned about making a new mod.

Of course they can comment, but it doesn't mean 'oldies' have to listen - especially with respect to all this mod rubbish.

Ben
G4ry

Actually, you maye have a point there. Myabe the problem comes when they think they're infallible, or they take over a bit (which has been known to happen, elsewhere if not here).
Reply 33
G4ry

To tell you the truth, I am not bothered by newbies telling us on how the UKl should run. As long as it is sensible and can be backed up with some form of argument, then I am for it.

I however have something against people who just mess around the forum eg TROLLS such as SHANDY and Miss Scarlet.

And they are newbs. Some newbs I respect more than some of the old ones, but other newbs just don't deserve a reply.
piginapoke
How do you arrive at that conclusion?

I'd say students just see it from another angle, one that the headmaster can't appreciate - in the same way that the pupils can't appreciate the abgle the headmaster sees it from. That's why I proposed, in theory at least, a coalition.
To tell you the truth, I am not bothered by newbies telling us on how the UKl should run. As long as it is sensible and can be backed up with some form of argument, then I am for it.

I however have something against people who just mess around the forum eg TROLLS such as SHANDY and Miss Scarlet.

And they are newbs. Some newbs I respect more than some of the old ones, but other newbs just don't deserve a reply.

Maybe some olds don't either, though....
*stir stir*
Though seriously, I'm really not implying anything there.
Reply 36
Ben.S.
Of course they can comment, but it doesn't mean 'oldies' have to listen - especially with respect to all this mod rubbish.

Ben

Why does it matter whether 'oldies' listen? The 'oldies' have no more say than the 'newbies'. Whether they listen to each other is a personal matter and is totally irrelevant (except perhaps in the case of d).
Reply 37
rahaydenuk

Regards,

With the influx of new members the forum is crumbling (I'm talking about those annoying 'the server is too busy at the moment' messages!). The popularity of the forum has been steadily increasing since the June 2003 Edexcel P3 exam, in my opinion.

Ben
Reply 38
rahaydenuk
Why does it matter whether 'oldies' listen? The 'oldies' have no more say than the 'newbies'. Whether they listen to each other is a personal matter and is totally irrelevant (except perhaps in the case of d).

I didn't ever say it mattered, Richard!

Ben
Ben.S.
With the influx of new members the forum is crumbling (I'm talking about those annoying 'the server is too busy at the moment' messages!). The popularity of the forum has been steadily increasing since the June 2003 Edexcel P3 exam, in my opinion.

Ben

Admittedly the busy server business is highly annoying, and apologise for my part in that.
As for P3.... I have nothing to do with that. :tongue: