The Student Room Group

AQA Statistics GCSE exam June 18th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by -Ben
thanks for bothering to post a picture! much appreciated :smile:

one question. were you provided with the mean or did you have to work it out for yourself? and if so, how?

Thought that might be a question :biggrin:
You take the mid point of the data range and times that by the frequency. Do that for each data range and then add the answers all up and then divide that by the total frequency to get the mean.
So in the examples case you do:
(42x1)+(47x7)+(52x12)+(57x24)+(62x29) = 4161
Then divide that by the total frequency which is 73:
4161/73 = 57
Reply 61
thanks! :smile: hope i can remember that :P i've learnt loads this weekend!
Reply 62
Original post by -Ben
thanks! :smile: hope i can remember that :P i've learnt loads this weekend!

Glad I could help with it mate! Good luck tomorrow, i've got a nice early wake up tomorrow at 6:30am and then a morning 8:30 exam and a 1:30pm stats exam, joy! But they are my LAST exams! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by Ali_Ludley
Glad I could help with it mate! Good luck tomorrow, i've got a nice early wake up tomorrow at 6:30am and then a morning 8:30 exam and a 1:30pm stats exam, joy! But they are my LAST exams! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

hahah, well thank you so much for helping me :wink: no doubt i would have failed without you! my teacher gave me no revision resources, except for past papers. he didn't even provide the mark schemes :smile:
good luck with your exams. sorry if i was intruding on your revision with my repetitive questions. i really hope you do well, you deserve it!

i'll be on here tomorrow probably talking about the exam afterwards, so i'll see you then ;p
Reply 64
Does anyone elses Stats exam clash with their German Listening?
Original post by stenhorse
Does anyone elses Stats exam clash with their German Listening?

I know some people's who does. They have to stay after school to finish it off.
Reply 66
Original post by CJG21
I know some people's who does. They have to stay after school to finish it off.

i have to do the stats exam at 9am and stay in isolation until 1.30 to do my german :L it will be a fun day
Reply 67
does anyone know if its the same syllabus as 2009?
Reply 68
Original post by somac
does anyone know if its the same syllabus as 2009?

Nay, its a new syllabus, started with the first paper as June 2011. Look here:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/gcse/maths/statistics/statistics-key-materials.php
Its the key materials you want to took at as they are recent, the 3311 is the old style papers.
GOOD LUCK! Last post till i've done the exam!
Good luck to everyone doing the exam this afternoon.
Reply 70
Ok done it all. That is a free GCSE right there, finished in 1 hour and 10 minutes and had to kill time for 50 minutes...
Didn't find many hard but i lost a mark misreading the 2nd part to the normal distribution question as the answer was 2.5% and i said 0.01% (Thinking of the +-3 S.D of 99.8% and not +-2 S.D of 95%...) and also lost one on the ferry question with Folkestone and dover, i said Folkestone was probably quicker as there where less people waiting up to 30 minutes but that is the point, more people wait longer than 30 minutes so the answer was Dover... Damn, other than those 2 marks, I don't think I lost many so hopefully on track for the A*!
Reply 71
Hah. I feel really good about this! Expecting the grade boundaries to be slightly higher. I finished in around a hour, and went back to some odd questions I missed. I also found I did the index numbers wrong and fixed that :smile: Only thing that caught me out was the 3 mark question after the +3SD question. I think I got 17%? Apart from odd marks I may have missed, and the cumulative frequency question after 45 mins or something.. I think I got 16 or a low number. My friends said they got 35 and I was like O_o. Anyway, thought it was simple enough and the stuff you taught me definitely helped. Thanks!
i also just sat this exam, I finished all but one question within 40 minutes then i spent a further 40 minutes constantly changing my line of best fit but it was correct in the end.

I think that is the easiest exam i have ever done, I only attended about 10 statistics lessons over 2 years and taught myself a lot of the stuff 2 hours before the exam but i think it went very well.

i will be dispointed with anything less than 95% due to the easy nature of the paper as most of it was readding things off a table. Does anyone know or have any idea on the grade boundaries?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Danny_Sparky
i also just sat this exam, I finished all but one question within 40 minutes then i spent a further 40 minutes constantly changing my line of best fit but it was correct in the end.

I think that is the easiest exam i have ever done, I only attended about 10 statistics lessons over 2 years and taught myself a lot of the stuff 2 hours before the exam but i think it went very well.

i will be dispointed with anything less than 95% due to the easy nature of the paper as most of it was readding things off a table. Does anyone know or have any idea on the grade boundaries?

Well last year they where really quite low at 68/100 for A* and 53/100 for an A but this paper was REALLY easy so I would say 85/100 for A* possibly and 70/100 for the A
Well last year they where really quite low at 68/100 for A* and 53/100 for an A but this paper was REALLY easy so I would say 85/100 for A* possibly and 70/100 for the A

Thanks that still leaves room for error so its pretty good, that is a big jump though over 1 year.

For the question early on when it asked you about Female ages in the graph, Was the question asking about what percentage of the population are woman between the ages of 30-39 or between the ages of 30-49.

Some of my friends have been debating about what the question was and therefore what the correct answer was.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 75
Thanks that still leaves room for error so its pretty good, that is a big jump though over 1 year.

For the question early on when it asked you about Female ages in the graph, Was the question asking about what percentage of the population are woman between the ages of 30-39 or between the ages of 30-49.

Some of my friends have been debating about what the question was and therefore what the correct answer was.

DEFINITELY 30-49 which meant it was the both bars added up to make something like 14, can't quite remember.
DEFINITELY 30-49 which meant it was the both bars added up to make something like 14, can't quite remember.

Thanks again

I think i got 14.6 as i'm sure 30-39 was 8 and 40-49 was 6.6. Could be wrong though as i don't remember my exact answer.
Reply 77

It was 30-49 and you had to add the 30-39 and 40-49 bars together which came out as 14.6% if I remember correctly :smile:
Reply 78
I swear i got 14.4??????
Reply 79
Yess it was okay. But I'm not sure if I've done all that well

I really want an a* and my coursework turned out 37/40 which puts me in a failry strong position I hope. But this paper was too easy if I want a high mark it's going to be a gamble!
I hope I do :frown:

I got 14.5% or something for that female question
I've messed up on the normal distribution and Dover one. I didn't out Dover and I put 1% forgetting it was 95% :frown:.
I really hope I do well I need this :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending