The Student Room Group

Share your bicycle accident stories!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I cant ride a bike :frown: because im a wimp who is afraid of falling and hence never try.

I MUST learn though, it looks so much fun!
I had a fun one.

I hadn't cycled for a few months, so I wasn't expecting anything amazing out of my legs, but I did a 7 or 8 mile journey to the nearby town and then back home. Great!

I was on the final stretch of road back to my house, and I wasn't really paying attention, and the bike drifted parallel to the curb and they finally hit. Brakes didn't seem to work (maybe locked up) and I was travelling too fast to put my feet down as the pedals were catching them. So I basically had to bail and throw myself and the bike onto the pavement. Thankfully the traffic was very low and there were no pedestrians. I cut up my arm a bit on the landing (which is okay, I wore a helmet!) and I knackered the front derailleur, so I have lost about 2/3 of my gears now! Haha!
Reply 22
When I was about 9, I was riding my bike up the street and another kid was riding it down the street. As you've probably already guessed, we collided and both of us promptly fell off. I had the most mahoosive bruises up and down my legs, not to mention various cuts and grazes!

Good times, good times.
A few years ago now - I was cycling home along a downhill stretch when the road is a busy dual carriageway, so the pavement is split pedestrians/cyclists. A lady is walking uphill with her dog on a long extendable lead. As I am a couple of meters away from her the dog walks across the cyclist half of the pavement provided a taut trip wire effect with the lead right in front of me. I realise what is about to happen and break, but am going pretty fast downhill, the lady carries on walking uphill in my direction and ends up walking the lead into me. Cue me my front wheel getting tangled in the lead and me going head over heels over the front of my bike straight onto my head.

The lady was more concerned about her dog and told me I shouldn't be on the pavement (eh? what's the cyclist bit for then!?) She was lucky I had a bike helmet - I had a hairline crack and dent in that - very glad it wasn't my head! And a sprained wrist from landing on it.

Very frustrating...and all the more annoying as she didn't seem to realise that letting your dog run whereever it wants on its long lead isn't exactly ideal on the pavement!
Original post by kookabura
A few years ago now - I was cycling home along a downhill stretch when the road is a busy dual carriageway, so the pavement is split pedestrians/cyclists. A lady is walking uphill with her dog on a long extendable lead. As I am a couple of meters away from her the dog walks across the cyclist half of the pavement provided a taut trip wire effect with the lead right in front of me. I realise what is about to happen and break, but am going pretty fast downhill, the lady carries on walking uphill in my direction and ends up walking the lead into me. Cue me my front wheel getting tangled in the lead and me going head over heels over the front of my bike straight onto my head.

The lady was more concerned about her dog and told me I shouldn't be on the pavement (eh? what's the cyclist bit for then!?) She was lucky I had a bike helmet - I had a hairline crack and dent in that - very glad it wasn't my head! And a sprained wrist from landing on it.

Very frustrating...and all the more annoying as she didn't seem to realise that letting your dog run whereever it wants on its long lead isn't exactly ideal on the pavement!

I hate it when pedestrians or other motorists don't know the cyclists' place on the streets. You're not meant to cycle on the pavements (except where marked by a cycle lane) but even so, you don't have to use it - You can still use the road. However, unless the cyclist has a drivers license, they probably don't know all of the rules of the road anyway.

I went on a bike ride just to test out a new 10 mile street circuit that I'd created on Google Earth. All was fine until one of the last roads. It is a thin street normally, but people park on the curb on both sides anyway, so a lot of it is effectively one way. I was about to go down one of the one-way gaps... So I check over my shoulder, see a car (a good distance back) and signal out. I do have a drivers license - They had plenty of time to react. They could've seen me and the road conditions for about 20 seconds before I had to pull out. So I was about to go through the gap, and the driver sped on by and nearly knocked me off. They just didn't want to have to stop for a cyclist. They were also using the phone at the same time.

Ahwell, now their registration plate belongs with the police.
I was about... oh, 9-ish?
I was going downa hill- seemed fast at the time, but I don't really think it was- hit a speed bump at the very bottom (seriously? Who puts one there?), flew over the handle bars and landed on my left knee and arm.

Gaping hole in my knee about two or three inches wide and about the same/slightly longer down. It was really deep as well. Minor cuts on both arms.
Ended up having to go to hospital, obviously, and was told they would normally stitch it back together but they couldn't because it was too wide and wouldn't stay together. Arm got bandaged up, leg got injected and then got the grit removed, loads of antiseptic cream and stuff around it and bandaged up, then left unable to walk or go to the loo properly until it was almost healed (it was a nightmare to do anything other than slouch around). Had crutches but didn't really use them because I never needed to walk too far.
Original post by Sparklyblue171
I locked my bike to a bike stand with one of those cheaper D-locks, and I had the key with me so I thought there would be no problem.
After buying and sorting out some stuff, I headed back to my bike and when I twisted the key inside the lock, the key snapped in two. Grabbing the spare key was pointless as the key lock was jammed with the broken piece was stuck inside, and the bike was stuck to the stand.

Luckily, it was parked near a betting shop (Ladbrokes) and some kind men decided to help me out when one walked all the way to his house to grab a saw, and he cut through the D-lock for me and I was able to ride home. Without them it could've been stuck there for ages, and I would be gutted as I was practically glued to my bike last summer.

I've done the same thing, but with a cable type bike lock. I went to the shop and bought a set of bolt cutters. Pain in the arse though.
Reply 27
once i fell off my bike and it hurt
Reply 28
Original post by Alt F4
once i fell off my bike and it hurt

Oh no... :eek:

Thanks for bumping my thread I guess :biggrin:
Reply 29
being on the phone and slamming on the front brake... went straight over the handlebars and elbowed the concrete nice broken elbow for that and bloody painful aswell :colonhash:
Reply 30
Original post by Origami Bullets
SO many near misses, but I'm actually yet to be knocked off! Various attempts by lovely Mancunians to knock me off include
- the classic door opener
- pulling out in front of me
- pulling out from a side road towards my side
- stopping directly in my path to do a parallel parking manoeuvre, and then (as I pause to try and pull out around them into another stream of traffic), they start reversing towards me
- passing with 4" to spare
- Taking a blind bend too fast, on the wrong side of the road
- throwing a stick at me, presumably so they could laugh at me when I fell off (it didn't work) (chavvy children)
- Shouting "boo" into my ear very loud (it was a pedestrian, who got awfully close) in the hope I'd jump and then fall off
- Pedestrians stepping out in front of me without looking (I hit one once)

The only time I've actually ever come off, however, was rather early in my (adult) cycling days. The chain came off, I got a bit confused about what had happened, looked down and went rather off balance. My shoulder and knee hurt, but my pride was hurt even more! :colondollar:

They should raise more awareness of the dangers of doing this. I don't know why some bored car passengers think it's acceptable to try and scare me as I am cycling along a busy road at 25 + mph. You wouldn't do that to a motorcyclist so why a cyclist?

I've only ever crashed my bike once, I rear ended a car that stopped too quickly. Was my fault, I wasn't paying attention.
Reply 31
Original post by kookabura

I sympathize with you but I am ultimately going to have to blame you for this one; you shouldn't have been going so fast on a shared walkway.
Reply 32
Original post by SillyEddy
I hate it when pedestrians or other motorists don't know the cyclists' place on the streets. You're not meant to cycle on the pavements (except where marked by a cycle lane) but even so, you don't have to use it - You can still use the road. However, unless the cyclist has a drivers license, they probably don't know all of the rules of the road anyway.

I went on a bike ride just to test out a new 10 mile street circuit that I'd created on Google Earth. All was fine until one of the last roads. It is a thin street normally, but people park on the curb on both sides anyway, so a lot of it is effectively one way. I was about to go down one of the one-way gaps... So I check over my shoulder, see a car (a good distance back) and signal out. I do have a drivers license - They had plenty of time to react. They could've seen me and the road conditions for about 20 seconds before I had to pull out. So I was about to go through the gap, and the driver sped on by and nearly knocked me off. They just didn't want to have to stop for a cyclist. They were also using the phone at the same time.

Ahwell, now their registration plate belongs with the police.

Ahh this rages me so much. On what planet is charging into someone who is pulling out acceptable? Had this happen to me so many times. I find that turning my head and glancing at them tends to prevent them doing this however. I guess they ignore a faceless cyclist indicating to pull out but can't ignore a human face pulling into the road. Either way what that driver did was totally unacceptable. I hope the police got him.
Reply 33
Rode a corner on a trail I've done hundreds of times before, something went wrong, probably front wheel washed out, ended up needing a few stitches in my arm. Happened on a walking path that's sort of on the way up to the actual trails :/ Great embarrassment ensued.

Hit a sort of hip drop-to-berm thing, that we'd built a few days before, on my own. Went well off-line and ended up landing on the top of the berm, came to an abrupt stop. Snapped my visor and gave myself a nose bleed. Ended up with a scratch on my goggles that would surely have taken out an eye if I'd not worn them.

Last but not least, I'd cycled solo out 5 miles on road to get to Mabie, then rode to the top of the red (on a fairly heavy dh/fr bike). A few minutes into the descent I overcooked it into a corner, fell off and managed to hit a rock with my neck, cutting it. Scarred the life out of me until I realised I could still breathe, but swallowing and talking hurt. Cycled back down the nearest 'escape route' for a few miles, then back 5 miles on road, which seemed to take forever. Took a few weeks before the swelling went down and I could eat and talk normally again. Pretty scary.
Reply 34
Got my pedal caught on a tree root while mountain biking, fell and landed with my ankle bent back with my bike on top of me, almost broke my ankle. And then I had to cycle the four miles back to the car.

Also, the classic riding my bike into the tree/bush/stinging nettles/wall/fence/bridge/lamppost which I seem to do at least once a day. :smile:
Reply 35
I and friends decided to race who will reach home first. I was trying to go as fast as I could and suddenly a part of my jeans got into the pedals/wheel and all I can remember is flying up in the air and then I hit the ground. Luckily, I covered my head with hands, so only got bruised and a bit swelling ankle. Unfortunately, the front wheel was bended heavily and became unfixable.

I was lucky that didn't get a serious head injury or something else. After the fall, I was just sitting in the middle of the road, people gathered nearly, one lady offered to call the ambulance but I've told her there's no need for. The my mum came and took me home. I was angry at that time and some teenagers were laughing and pointing at me, which wasn't funny at all :erm:
I was 7, me my brother and my dad were riding to my Nan's when some old fart ran over my brother, it would have been me but I swerved to my bro's left side and the car came from the right hehe evil me lol

P.S, note the 'old fart' was NOT my nan greeting us early :smile: lol
I was cycling along quite a busy road when a massive lorry pulled past me. It sent dust flying into the air which went all in my eyes. I was going quite fast, I couldn't see where I was going and I was wobbling like hell. I genuinely thought I was going to die haha
I used to fall off my bike all the time. Fell off one time ended up with a bruised nosed and grazed knees. Gave up riding when I was 12.

Would love to start riding again; but it's not going to happen. My balance is somewhat ****ed. :frown:
Reply 39
Not a major thing really, but reflects how poor my brain is at times!

I was in Germany doing a work exchange and had to cycle to the kindergarten.

In Germany the pavement is divided up between cyclists and pedestrians, so I panicked of course.

I was told to be careful on a particular corner as there was a ditch.

Have a guess where I ended up!

People have told me to cycle in London to save money - tbh I'd be a hazard to others and myself!

Quick Reply

Latest