The Student Room Group

can't eat vegetables, they make me sick

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by POWCATTY
as far as i know the only 'bad' thing about fruit is that it contains sugar, so if you eat too much it drives your blood sugar up. ive heard loads of type 2 diabetics say that to control their weight and blood glucose theyd have a fruit salad for breakfast and then another one for dessert - trying to be healthy but its actually pretty bad for them.

aside from that....i have no idea

People with diabetes are not normally healthy so they have to watch their diet. This in no way means one should avoid fruit.

The biggest hazards to the health of younger people available in our society are:

1. Fizzy drinks, even the diet ones, apart from just plain water.
2. Burgers and fast food generally.
3. Many "low-fat" products have had the fat replaced with artificial sugar, causing more severe problems than the original fat.
4. Too few vegetables and fruit in the diet.
5. Too much meat - causing long-term development of a host of diseases.
Original post by sconter
please tell me what is 'healthy' about fruit

Everything that's healthy about vegetables, except with the addition of fructose. So long as you're not stuffing in Mars bars, a little fructose won't make you obese - fruit is an enjoyable, nutritious alternative.

OP, a couple of ideas;
1. Adding onion/mushrooms/sweetcorn to things like Shepherd's pie. You'll barely taste them.
2. Roast vegetables are delicious - nothing like cabbage. Use olive oil, and in moderation they are perfectly good for you.
3. Vegetable soup - plenty of varieties, all the vitamins.
4. Ratatouille.
5. Swap cheese sauce on pasta for homemate tomato sauce.
6. Keep on with the salads etc - maybe experiment with dressings. They don't have to be unhealthy - apple juice, vinegar, mustard and sundried tomatoes make an amazing dressing.

Small changes go a long way :smile:
Original post by sconter
please tell me what is 'healthy' about fruit

They contain fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. And are said to have 'cancer reducing properties.'

For example, oranges high in vitamin C, have cholesterol reducing antioxidants. Bananas are high in potassium which helps regulate blood pressure, and are high in pectin (bowel movement :tongue:). Mango high in fibre and in enzymes that aid digestion, low in calories.
Original post by Octohedral
Everything that's healthy about vegetables, except with the addition of fructose. So long as you're not stuffing in Mars bars, a little fructose won't make you obese - fruit is an enjoyable, nutritious alternative.

OP, a couple of ideas;
1. Adding onion/mushrooms/sweetcorn to things like Shepherd's pie. You'll barely taste them.
2. Roast vegetables are delicious - nothing like cabbage. Use olive oil, and in moderation they are perfectly good for you.
3. Vegetable soup - plenty of varieties, all the vitamins.
4. Ratatouille.
5. Swap cheese sauce on pasta for homemate tomato sauce.
6. Keep on with the salads etc - maybe experiment with dressings. They don't have to be unhealthy - apple juice, vinegar, mustard and sundried tomatoes make an amazing dressing.

Small changes go a long way :smile:

Good advice!And also OP, if you like pasta then add some roast peppers, tomato, onion and mushrooms to your tomato pasta sauce.
Try chucking onions, peppers & spinach/top of a leek (Dragon Fire curry ftw) in a curry, you can't taste them, I promise :smile: They also have hardly any texture to them, sespecially if they're cut up small :smile:
Also- sweet & sour with pinapple & peppers in, or beansprouts?
Original post by AspiringGenius
Just eat those greens you like then. I personally eat loads of potatoes. :sex:

Potatoes aren't vegetables.

OP - you don't have to eat veg on its own. You said you eat soup? Do you make it yourself? If you do, then you can just eat loads and add whatever veg you want. I have 3-4 veg with dinner every night. You can't taste them really if you have them in a bolognese sauce or any other kind of sauce you cook dinner with. I usually have mushrooms, courgettes, baby corn, peas, whatever else is going cheap that week at the shop. If you get a chinese takeaway, there will be veg in the dish too. Try making them at home and adding peppers or any other veg.
Reply 26
Original post by EffieFlowers
They contain fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. And are said to have 'cancer reducing properties.'

For example, oranges high in vitamin C, have cholesterol reducing antioxidants. Bananas are high in potassium which helps regulate blood pressure, and are high in pectin (bowel movement :tongue:). Mango high in fibre and in enzymes that aid digestion, low in calories.

fibre isnt healthy, in regards to nutrition it is useless. the only reason it pads out your poo is because it is indigestable. you dont need much for a healthy bowel.
Micronutrients are all well and good, but hardly something to base your diet on.

they arent 'healthy'
Original post by Sprockette
Potatoes aren't vegetables.

OP - you don't have to eat veg on its own. You said you eat soup? Do you make it yourself? If you do, then you can just eat loads and add whatever veg you want. I have 3-4 veg with dinner every night. You can't taste them really if you have them in a bolognese sauce or any other kind of sauce you cook dinner with. I usually have mushrooms, courgettes, baby corn, peas, whatever else is going cheap that week at the shop. If you get a chinese takeaway, there will be veg in the dish too. Try making them at home and adding peppers or any other veg.

Actually on a strictly botanical level I think you willmfind potatoes are indeed a vegetable.
Original post by EffieFlowers

I love fruit but of your '5' a day, there should be more vegetables than fruit because of the high sugar content. I'd much rather eat mango than broccoli but the sugar makes it less healthy than fruit. A good alternative to chocolate/sweets and obviously has lots of vitamins as you said but still, should be limited. And yummy!
Original post by AspiringGenius
Actually on a strictly botanical level I think you willmfind potatoes are indeed a vegetable.

But I think you'll find they're not on a nutritional level, they're a carbohydrate. With probably more vitamins than other carbs but... I'm not trying to start a major argument over it though!
oh the decadence
Reply 31
stop being such a pussy and eat it
Reply 32
I don't like veg but manage to eat some as a blended soup or mash carrots and turnip through potatoes x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 33
Original post by Fires
People with diabetes are not normally healthy so they have to watch their diet. This in no way means one should avoid fruit.

...yeah but with diet controlled diabetes its not a good idea to be eating two large bowls of fruit a day, especially as most of the ones i spoke to did little/no exercise. it causes blood glucose to rise, and obviously it remains too high for a long period after, which is detrimental to their health
i never said to anyone to avoid fruit, i was only stating the potential negative of fruit, as was asked.

but yeah...fruit is the least of our nations worries...
Reply 34
Personally I hate the taste of them so I just put them in my mouth and swallow them with a mouthful of juice without chewing them.
I don't have a massive gag reflex, so that does that trick for me :tongue:
Try making some vegetable soups! :smile:

http://www.vegetablesouprecipes.co.uk/
Original post by laprenti
But I need to start eating them because I'm becoming overweight. I cannot even put them in my mouth, I gag when I do, and I even hate the smell (like boiling cauliflower...disgusting). But in order to hide the taste of vegetables you have to make them unhealthy, which is pointless. Is there any way of making vegetables taste ok/mask their taste without making them unhealthy?

I can already eat lentil soup, green beans and lettuce/cucumbers, that's about it really though.

I think you just about spoke for everyone :P
Well I usually hold my nose.. can't you even eat sweetcorn? It's lovely
try chopping it in to bits and making a soup out of it?
Reply 37
But I need to start eating them because I'm becoming overweight.

Your consumption, or lack thereof, of vegetables is not what's making you overweight.

I cannot even put them in my mouth, I gag when I do, and I even hate the smell (like boiling cauliflower...disgusting). But in order to hide the taste of vegetables you have to make them unhealthy, which is pointless.

Hiding the taste of vegetables can be done simply, effectively, and without adding lots of fatty sauces etc. I used to just blend them up and add in plenty of seasoning and curry powder. Doesn't look nice, but it tastes fine.

There are also thinks like Chinese or Indian style vegetables, which might be less healthy than steamed veg on its own, but don't detract from the health benefits of eating the veg as opposed to not eating it.

I can already eat lentil soup, green beans and lettuce/cucumbers, that's about it really though.

If you can eat lentil soup, you can eat a soup that includes leeks, carrots and root vegetables. If you can eat green beans you can eat a variety of beans, and if you can eat lettuce and cucumbers you can probably eat a salad including spinach, tomatoes and peppers.
Learn to cook

Ah, well I didn't say I liked lettuce/cucumber, I can just tolerate them in sandwiches since they taste of nothing, they're just a nuisance. I can't eat salads, lettuce isn't very good at all nutrition wise, and other things you put in salads I hate (like tomatoes, I actually threw up when I tried some raw)

aspiringgenius, I can't go by just eating beans, I need to get healthier

rainbow.panda, fruit isn't as healthy, if you look into the studies

Lettuce may not be good nutrition wise but it still has some nutrition and is a healthy food. It is better to eat lettuce than to not eat it at all. I'd suggest including lettuce into your diet, at least it is a healthy food. It tastes of nothing either as you've said yourself, so they should be easy for you to eat.
Beans are a healthy food because they have a lot of protein and fibre. You should eat more of them in your diet as they will help you to lose weight. I don't know the exact science, but they have a type of fibre which actually aids in weight loss.
Fruit is a perfect food. Eat it.

Quick Reply

Latest