The Student Room Group

Jobs for the socially awkward...

Scroll to see replies

I'm socially awkward too, in that I have a terrible time trying to articulate myself or be confident when talking to someone I don't know.

You just have to force yourself to do it, practice, don't think about it too much, etc, otherwise you'll miss out on a bunch of opportunities.

Instead of asking what kind of job you can get for being socially awkward, just trooper through and apply for what's the job you want instead. The absolute /worst/ thing that can happen is they'll say no, and then you apply somewhere else.
Reply 41
Can't be bothered reading the whole thread, but anything based away from teams like warehouse work or factory work. However a better ideal might be to try and develop your social skills through work experience, even if it needs to be voluntary. Will make your life easier in the long run.
Postie? There is some interaction when you have to ring folks door bells but everyone is happy to get their post and, on the whole, everyone is really friendly and nice.
Reply 43
Original post by Derek.
LOL, I have seen these people at ASDA. They always seem to be sad, but great skill at moving like 100s of trolleys through the parking space, all at once.

Someone at my store claims they have moved 48 at once, not sure if I believe them...
Reply 44
I found working in a shop (after blagging some confidence in the interview, sweating like mad) actually improved my confidence a lot.

I was so anxious the first couple of days I made my boyfriend drive around the block about 10 times so I could gather up the courage to go in and started shaking the second I got behind the till, but a couple of months on I feel fine about it, as well as more confident and social in myself.

Literally all you have to do is say "can I help you" and read out the total from the till, it's not like you have to bond with every customer - it's easy even if you're shy.

As time went on I started being able to make light jokes and comments to customers and small talk with my colleagues and I feel like it really boosted my confidence.

Just try it, don't limit yourself to jobs in cupboards or the middle of the night :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending