Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've already posted this on University, but I'm impatient and I want more people to see this. So please read it and help me!!!!

I trust your judgment...most of you....with some exceptions....at least I know about them though....

Well as most of you know I've applied for Journalism at

Bournemouth University, Surrey Institute of Art & Design, Middlesex University, The London Institute, Southampton Institute & London South Bank University.

The London Institute is my first choice, however there was a minor "hiccup" when my interview letter got lost in the post (not a lot of people get interview letters) and I missed it, I however have been given a second chance (thank you lord!) but because of this I am now even more paranoid that I won't get in.
    I want to go there for the location, the atmosphere, the prestige (Rupert Murdock's pet school=Jobs for me), the speakers (Jon Simpson, Head of the BBC, Kate Adie etc every Friday) etc

So I'm having to choose between (at the moment)
    Middlesex(unconditional),
    Southampton (Conditional)
    Surrey(Unconditional),
    and possibly London South Bank
    As I have already told you, Bournemouth...the *******s...rejected me

Which do you think would be best, in YOUR opinion? I'd like reasons as well

I'd also like to point out that whilst at University I am hoping to establish myself with the music scene in and around London, I've got a few friends there already and would like to set myself up to do a bit of freelance etc but I can't do that if I'm too far away due to money and last trains back and stuff. I can get backstage easily with help from friends but I can't stay long if I have to get a train back at 10pm
    Thank you,
    XXX

ReputationRep:
    I would go for surrey, as its not a bad uni, and its unconditional so youll get in whatever grades you get.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you oh wise elpaw
    The one disadvantage is though it's 45 minutes away from London and the last train is at 11pm and aftershow parties don't finish till 2am...*sobs* damn trains, they run all night in Holland

Also do you think I will get into LCP? They said my "enthusiasm" was refreshing and good and will also be dually noted in my application for my interview (After I harassed them three days in a row, the admin lady is SOoooo nice)

ReputationRep:
    NO ONE IS AS WORRIED AS I AM>>> I need a very high english mark to maintain an above 90 average but my teacher has been to school TWO TIMES this SEMESTER. We had had supplies who can't teach, can't mark and even illiterate ones. Im screwed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    NO ONE IS AS WORRIED AS I AM>>> I need a very high english mark to maintain an above 90 average but my teacher has been to school TWO TIMES this SEMESTER. We had had supplies who can't teach, can't mark and even illiterate ones. Im screwed
    I can totally relate to that. My Psychology AS teacher got pregnant last year when she didn't want to, got awful stress and sickeness and abandoned the class for 5 months with no substitute.
    Needless to say I got the highest mark in the class being a D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Thank you oh wise elpaw
    The one disadvantage is though it's 45 minutes away from London and the last train is at 11pm and aftershow parties don't finish till 2am...*sobs* damn trains, they run all night in Holland

Also do you think I will get into LCP? They said my "enthusiasm" was refreshing and good and will also be dually noted in my application for my interview (After I harassed them three days in a row, the admin lady is SOoooo nice)
    if the worst comes to the worst, its always refreshing to know that you have an unconditional offer to fall back on. so do you still want to stay at home rather than in accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    I can totally relate to that. My Psychology AS teacher got pregnant last year when she didn't want to, got awful stress and sickeness and abandoned the class for 5 months with no substitute.
    Needless to say I got the highest mark in the class being a D
    AHHHHH don't say d............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    if the worst comes to the worst, its always refreshing to know that you have an unconditional offer to fall back on. so do you still want to stay at home rather than in accomodation?
    No not at all, but even though it takes me 3 and a half hours to get to Surrey I only live about 40 miles away and that may mean I WON'T get a place to live.
    I also plan on having a part time weekend job at University and there is not a single job in that place...all of them are taken by retired people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    AHHHHH don't say d............
    Well think about it this way, I didn't need it...but I turned up all the time and winged it in the lesson. The rest of my class were just dossers. If you want to do well enough you'll take the time to do the work yourself. You should have been given a marking thing with the course. Do it yourself and complain to the head of staff.

ReputationRep:
    No not at all, but even though it takes me 3 and a half hours to get to Surrey I only live about 40 miles away and that may mean I WON'T get a place to live.
    I also plan on having a part time weekend job at University and there is not a single job in that place...all of them are taken by retired people.
    40 miles???? they're a bit stingy. in oxford its 4 miles, and still they discourage it.

ReputationRep:
    Do u reckon I'll still get into LCP? I mean my grades are a bit bog standard they want three C's at A2 which is exactly what I have with two extra AS D's lol, but I have work experience (which is mandatory before you even apply) at News International and the BBC....what do
    you reckon...? Oh wise Elpaw
    Though needless to say I've only ever been published once as all my campaigns for a school/college newspaper have been shut down... EVERYTIME

ReputationRep:
    Do u reckon I'll still get into LCP? I mean my grades are a bit bog standard they want three C's at A2 which is exactly what I have with two extra D's lol, but I have work experience (which is mandatory before you even apply) at News International and the BBC....what do you reckon...? Oh wise Elpaw
    i believe you will get in. youve got a good track record, and even if you get CCCDD, they will be obliged by law to let you in (if they have given you a CCC offer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    40 miles???? they're a bit stingy. in oxford its 4 miles, and still they discourage it.
    They have a massive international student population

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i believe you will get in. youve got a good track record, and even if you get CCCDD, they will be obliged by law to let you in (if they have given you a CCC offer)
    Well no, that's just the guide in the prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    I think Dani mainly because I know bugger all about any of them except for LCP which I had heard of before that it might be best to go for whichever one is next best in the league tables for journalism, seeing as it is so competitive and because you want to get ahead. It is probably also better to keep as near London as possible because i imagine it will be easier for you to get work experience and establish a reputation there.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.