Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone built their own computer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    About a week ago I built my own computer and before i started I was told that i would have all kinds of problems but didn't have any, so i'm curius to see if anyone else built their own and whether or not they had any major problems.

ReputationRep:
    when I built my first computer, I thought I kne what I was doing. I knew where to put everything and what things when where, but I was unaware of one tiny thing. Before I could screw the motherboard in, I needed first to put some risers in to stop the underside of the motherboard being shorted out on the metal case. well, I foegot to do that, but luckily my power supply wouldn't start up and nothing was damaged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Ah metal cases are so last season, mine's made of beech
    You have a wooden case.......

isn't that a bit of a fire risk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    when I built my first computer, I thought I kne what I was doing. I knew where to put everything and what things when where, but I was unaware of one tiny thing. Before I could screw the motherboard in, I needed first to put some risers in to stop the underside of the motherboard being shorted out on the metal case. well, I foegot to do that, but luckily my power supply wouldn't start up and nothing was damaged
    I built my computer completely from the directions that came with the motherboard and nowhere did it say to install the riser things. Luckily it made sense so i did it.

ReputationRep:
    Ah metal cases are so last season, mine's made of beech
    The only good thing that i can think of about a wooden case is that if your house got flooded hopefully it would float.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    The only good thing that i can think of about a wooden case is that if your house got flooded hopefully it would float.
    Another plus point, a burglar will find it too heavy to loot off ehhe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    About a week ago I built my own computer and before i started I was told that i would have all kinds of problems but didn't have any, so i'm curius to see if anyone else built their own and whether or not they had any major problems.
    In Singapore, DIY computers are so common. Rest assured most of the time, they will not have any major glitches. DIY Computers, are so cheap compared to those 'Branded' Desktops i reckon...

How I wish there's DIY Laptops :P ehhe

ReputationRep:
    I have as well, but didn't have any probs really tbh. Putting HSF on CPU was a very delicate operation though.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone build their own computer? or do u need to know loads of computer freaky stuff?

ReputationRep:
    i built a new computer for the family around xmas time this year. I've done upgrades and stuff before and seem my uncle put together pcs so i didn't really have any problems at all.

It's really not nearly as hard as people would think. Basically all the pieces in a computer slot together and u can't usually put components in the wrong places because they usually won't fit.

ReputationRep:
    where do u get all the stuff to make one? how much does it cost?

ReputationRep:
    Building PCs is stupidly easy now. In the old days when I first started building PCs you had to mess about with jumpers for the processor and I/O card. If you set teh jumpers wrong for the processor you would fry it.

These days its virtualy impossible to blow up a motherboard/cpu. The only difficult thing these days is the fan can sometimes be a nightmare to insert over the processor.

I only ever build AMD PCs as well, I really despise Intel.

ReputationRep:
    i used a hammer to get my heat sink on. i fashioned the rest of the computer out of mud and leaves. if you know anyone who works for an IT company you can usually yoink a free monitor off them they're always chucking them unless you want a decent one of course :P

ReputationRep:
    i just looked on those sites u suggested and where do i look? do u have to buy the parts seperatly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    i used a hammer to get my heat sink on. i fashioned the rest of the computer out of mud and leaves. if you know anyone who works for an IT company you can usually yoink a free monitor off them they're always chucking them unless you want a decent one of course :P
    Lol CRT monitors are so cheap now, my sister got her Dell one with a Sony Trinititon tube out of a skip. You can buy a second hand 17" one in good condition for £25 now.

I am planning to build my sister a Duron 1.6ghz, 256MB DDR RAM etc PC for £100 for when she goes to university. The only existing parts I have is the monitor, floppy drive and harddrive, cd-rom/cd-rw, the rest has to new as she currently has a Compaq PII 266 I bought for £20 last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalaura)
    i just looked on those sites u suggested and where do i look? do u have to buy the parts seperatly?
    Yes basicaly you have to know all the compoments that make up a PC. Then you have to know whats compatable with each other etc. Its all very easy but you have to be very technicaly minded.

ReputationRep:
    yes pretty much, some places do a "bundle" which might have a motherboard, ram, and cpu, which are the main bits really.

www.komplett.co.uk and www.novatech.co.uk are good too

ReputationRep:
    A while ago i built a fairly monster pc,

Its kitted out with neons and watercooling and stuff, but to be honest its been a waste of time, the only thing i use my pc for now is downloading, surfing, and maybe type up a few documents.

i can use my crap pc for that.

anyways, if u wanna see a pic, i'll post one up

ReputationRep:
    Those neons will come in handy if you ever need to.. oh wait, no they won't. :P

What a waste of money heh

If you're just word processing you dont gain much benefit over 800mhz or something. If you want to use do video/graphic/sound editing or play games then you'll want as much as you can afford. hardware I mean, not neon lights.

ReputationRep:
    All of this upgrading was brought upon us by the Wintel alliance. We all own ferraris but we're using them to drive to the shops.
    Or using the ferrais to bring the shop to us.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.