Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalaura)
    can anyone build their own computer? or do u need to know loads of computer freaky stuff?
    Anyone who can read the directions can put a computer together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalaura)
    where do u get all the stuff to make one? how much does it cost?
    I bought all of my components from Newegg.com which is competatively priced but they don't do international shipping. I built mine with top of the line intel products for less than 800 dollars where as if i got it from a company it would have cost at least 500 more $s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    About a week ago I built my own computer and before i started I was told that i would have all kinds of problems but didn't have any, so i'm curious to see if anyone else built their own and whether or not they had any major problems.
    I build loads! My dads a computer consultant so I build them for him (a few a month). The major problems are things like not plugging in the fan lead, ergo chip overheats and dies! But it's mostly not knowing which lead go to which... or worse putting the wrong lead in.

Loose Hard drives are never a good idea either.

The bit I hate doing is getting the fan over the processor... very frustrating sometimes... especially when you’re doing 6-8 computers in day.

I find I end up with loads of scratches on my hands and metal cuts (not nice... blood in a computer very bad!).

As for good site to use http://www.redstore.com/ is a god send, always prompt and rarely messes it up!

Eva

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txt_eva)
    I build loads! My dads a computer consultant so I build them for him (a few a month). The major problems are things like not plugging in the fan lead, ergo chip overheats and dies! But it's mostly not knowing which lead go to which... or worse putting the wrong lead in.

Loose Hard drives are never a good idea either.

The bit I hate doing is getting the fan over the processor... very frustrating sometimes... especially when you’re doing 6-8 computers in day.

I find I end up with loads of scratches on my hands and metal cuts (not nice... blood in a computer very bad!).

As for good site to use http://www.redstore.com/ is a god send, always prompt and rarely messes it up!

Eva
    no offence but you give me the impression that you know a lot less than you should about putting together computers! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Overclockers is a good site, you should see some of the stuff they do to their computers. It's incredible. One guy mounted his TFT screen on the side of his computer using hinges so it could fold away when he wasn't using it. It actually looked quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    no offence but you give me the impression that you know a lot less than you should about putting together computers! :rolleyes:
    I know. I'm tired and hungover... anything ever vaguely complex at the mo makes no sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txt_eva)
    I know. I'm tired and hungover... anything ever vaguely complex at the mo makes no sense...
    i understand, why dont you lie down and sup some herbal tea. i dont claim to know anything about computers, so you're ahead of me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Overclockers is a good site, you should see some of the stuff they do to their computers. It's incredible. One guy mounted his TFT screen on the side of his computer using hinges so it could fold away when he wasn't using it. It actually looked quite good.
    Got the link to the pic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    i understand, why dont you lie down and sup some herbal tea. i dont claim to know anything about computers, so you're ahead of me anyway.
    lol! I do a lot bout computers... just only when I'm sober!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yes basicaly you have to know all the compoments that make up a PC. Then you have to know whats compatable with each other etc. Its all very easy but you have to be very technicaly minded.
    Are you joking? You dont need to be technically minded at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Are you joking? You dont need to be technically minded at all.
    you do need to be quite technically-minded if you want a stable, reliable pc. If you buy parts which dont like each other, or buy parts which are crap, them the pc will fall down very quickly.

I built my rig, and it cost about £300-£400. Well, it will cost that when I get my new HD and graphics card...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I only ever build AMD PCs as well, I really despise Intel.
    Why? AMD processors are basically just Intel clones with some of their own extensions thrown in. They are all based on the same architecture (IA-32), so an adamant dislike of one over the other is a bit weird... a preference for one is understandable, but a blanket dislike... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Especially when motherboards come with a nice handy manual explaining how to set it up in layman's terms. After that its just physically screwing and plugging things together.
    really? all the motherboards Ive read make very little sense, because they've been badly translated from taiwanese or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    About a week ago I built my own computer and before i started I was told that i would have all kinds of problems but didn't have any, so i'm curius to see if anyone else built their own and whether or not they had any major problems.
    my brother built his first comp when he was 4. needless to say, he is the computer fixer at our house.

ReputationRep:
    I first built my computer about 4 years ago. The computer I'm using now has an AMD XP 1700+ CPU, Crucial 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM, Maxtor 60GB ATA133 hard drive, Liteon 52x32x52 CD-RW drive, Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 graphics card with 64MB DDR RAM, Relisys 17inch flatscreen CRT monitor, Creative Labs 4.1 sound card and Creative Labs Inspire 4.1 speakers. It cost me less than £500 for all the components. If I could just get another monitor and hard drive, I would have 3 PCs in my house now.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I've just been lucky, or known what I was doing anyway.
    I know what i'm doing, but the manuals still make little sense because they are badly translated to english.

ReputationRep:
    From which company? I've got Epox, Asus and Tyan motherboards and their manuals are pretty good.
    Ive got an Abit, which is quite good tbh, but i also have a Gigabyte and a Jetway, which have quite bad manuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Why? AMD processors are basically just Intel clones with some of their own extensions thrown in. They are all based on the same architecture (IA-32), so an adamant dislike of one over the other is a bit weird... a preference for one is understandable, but a blanket dislike... :confused:
    have you seen the price of intel stuff?

ive built around 6-7 PCs and it is never as easy as you think it might be. unless you are lucky.

the most recent one i built came with a sata hard drive (which the geeks of us might know). with the fact i had no floppy drive because the one they sent me was phookad, i had a bit of trouble getting it to be recognised.

the problem i always find is overheating. you have to get a big fan and lots of heat compound otherwise it will get very hot.

like you say putting the fan on is the worst job, nowadays i can do it in 30 seconds. its not that hard at all once you work on your style

i now have a 300gb baby which is being piled up with like 60gigs of music baby!

adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    my brother built his first comp when he was 4.
    what, out of lego?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    what, out of lego?
    That would still be a mean feat at the age of 4!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.