The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College social life - the truth

Hi, i am an international student thinking on studying Biochemistry at Imperial. I would really appreciate your comments on Imperial.
I know that it's a fine university,with immense prestige and excellent job opportunities. I am also interested however in sports, particularly water polo, and so this also means a lot to me. Does anyone know how Imperial is in sports?

I would also like to ask you about the general social life, i've heard that the % of women is small, but then i suppose that it is most noticeable in stuff like physics? I would thank your comments on this...
the last point is with clubs and that sort of stuff in london. i've heard that they're expensive, so what do students do (afford to go in london?). a friend told me that in manchester students go a lot to clubs and the like, what do studetns do in london?

thank you very much in advance.
Most clubs in London aren't too expensive. Generally £10 (usually less) to get in after 11pm and then £4 for a drink. But what you do is you make sure you're pretty tanked up before you go to the club. :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
watermelon
Hi, i am an international student thinking on studying Biochemistry at Imperial. I would really appreciate your comments on Imperial.
I know that it's a fine university,with immense prestige and excellent job opportunities. I am also interested however in sports, particularly water polo, and so this also means a lot to me. Does anyone know how Imperial is in sports?

I would also like to ask you about the general social life, i've heard that the % of women is small, but then i suppose that it is most noticeable in stuff like physics? I would thank your comments on this...
the last point is with clubs and that sort of stuff in london. i've heard that they're expensive, so what do students do (afford to go in london?). a friend told me that in manchester students go a lot to clubs and the like, what do studetns do in london?

thank you very much in advance.

drinks in the Union Bar and Southside Bar are cheap. i dont know much about clubs.

yes, we do have sport centre.

what do students do in london? well, basically, you can do whatever you do. remember, here is London! you can almost get everything you want. well, for me, i usually go to the museums -- Science Museum, Natural History Museum and V&A Museum. they are all free of charge and are close to the campus. sometimes i may go to a concert (well, Royal Albert Hall is just next to union building) if i have spare money. :smile:

oh, i forgot to mention, you can go to China town and have nice Chinese food, provided you have lots of spare money. :tongue:
Reply 3
Imperial also is really good for clubs and socs. I think it still has the largest number of clubs and socs than any other uni, and there is a waterpolo club I think. Going out is about the same as any other major city. My sister at Oxford says the prices are about the same. Plus in London there are lots of union events with cheap stuff.
On the BioChem open day practically my whole course appeared to be women and I'm female so I don' think the % is that small except for Physics really..plus London accomodates ANY thing you can think of, any club, plus enough nightclubs you can hope for really you can do anything
Reply 5
Ahan, people any more truth. Need more advice, many others like me would kill for this kind of an inside info :P . Anyways, hope IMPERIAL is fun, cause probably going to choose Imperial as my firm and LSE as my insurance.
Reply 6
Imperial will be fun.. I mean, its in LONDON for heaven's sake... Well, maybe its only fun if you have money. I guess it would be miserable spending 3 years in London with only 30 pounds a week to live on. I'm budgeting at least 50 pounds a week exculding housing and weekday food.

And to think that I switched from Biochemistry to Biomedical Engineering... if I'd known that there were going to be lots of girls in Biochemistry I would have stuck with it... Ah well, guess I'll just have to make the trip to the biochem department once in a while!
Reply 7
dazmanultra
Most clubs in London aren't too expensive. Generally £10 (usually less) to get in after 11pm and then £4 for a drink. But what you do is you make sure you're pretty tanked up before you go to the club. :smile:

Die in a fire. :hs:
Reply 8
boonkoh
Imperial will be fun.. I mean, its in LONDON for heaven's sake... Well, maybe its only fun if you have money. I guess it would be miserable spending 3 years in London with only 30 pounds a week to live on. I'm budgeting at least 50 pounds a week exculding housing and weekday food.

And to think that I switched from Biochemistry to Biomedical Engineering... if I'd known that there were going to be lots of girls in Biochemistry I would have stuck with it... Ah well, guess I'll just have to make the trip to the biochem department once in a while!

im going to imperial, and although i know a lot of time will be spent in lectures, surely there are possibilities to mix with other people of other disciplines during whichever breaks, in the halls and out of uni teaching hours... arent the possibilities limitless especially at union events, and also practically every night at the student bar...
Reply 9
Sorry to disappoint you, but my boyfriend is on the MSci Biochem, just finished the first year and there are hardly any girls on his course. Open Days aren't really representative, i think there are only a handful of girls.
Reply 10
my bf is at IC and i go down most weekends. I can't tell you what the social life is like cos i was always hideously drunk somewhere...bars clubs and in the halls kitchens....ummm actually, me thinks that means it was good :tongue: even the subwardens drink with you :biggrin: i remember (well, have been told of) one evening when we all played drinking chess with sambuca, tequila, gin and vodka and also some dodgy wine that we think was actually for cooking with but it came in a glass bottle so assumed it was drinking....any how 6 hours later and 20 shots on we all played i have never and i can only thank god that i can't remember what was said :tongue: i do remember one of my bf's mates taking me to the loo cos i couldn't stand up :tongue: hehe..i don't drink..honest :tongue: on the civilised front there are loads of other things to do ITS LONDON
Man, you guys are getting me scared. These boy:girl ratios are not good...
Departments should not make such a difference, no?
Cheer me up will ya?
Reply 12
well man, mech eng dept will have 10 girls in total maybe but the medicine one will be 50%. anyway dude, its london so dont worry, lots of students running about.,
lucykins
my bf is at IC and i go down most weekends. I can't tell you what the social life is like cos i was always hideously drunk somewhere...bars clubs and in the halls kitchens....ummm actually, me thinks that means it was good :tongue: even the subwardens drink with you :biggrin: i remember (well, have been told of) one evening when we all played drinking chess with sambuca, tequila, gin and vodka and also some dodgy wine that we think was actually for cooking with but it came in a glass bottle so assumed it was drinking....any how 6 hours later and 20 shots on we all played i have never and i can only thank god that i can't remember what was said :tongue: i do remember one of my bf's mates taking me to the loo cos i couldn't stand up :tongue: hehe..i don't drink..honest :tongue: on the civilised front there are loads of other things to do ITS LONDON

Drinking chess... now I've got to try that.
At least I'll have an excuse if I lose. ^^
Reply 14
Can we have an answer from someone actually at imperial, what do you guys do on a night out? Is it like small groups of friends or does the whole campus pack into one bar/club??

Latest

Trending

Trending