Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I have decided to go to Bournemouth to study Multimedia Journalism yesterday, I received a email from sheffield, saying that they would like to offer me an place to study Broadcast Journalism Studies.

Now I really don't know which to choose. So i need you guys to help me to make the decision.

first of all, I want to be a journalist.

The course in sheffield has just been validated this year and is not accredited by the BJTC. But the overall ranking of Sheffield is much higher than Bournemouth.

Bournemouth ranks very low but its Media school has a very good reputation. A friend who is studying the couse there told me he had the chance to visit BBC.

I am an oversea student and I want to work in UK after graduate.

You guys gotta help me out here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankhoward)
    When I have decided to go to Bournemouth to study Multimedia Journalism yesterday, I received a email from sheffield, saying that they would like to offer me an place to study Broadcast Journalism Studies.

Now I really don't know which to choose. So i need you guys to help me to make the decision.

The course in sheffield has just been validated this year and is not accredited by the BJTC. But the overall ranking of Sheffield is much higher than Bournemouth.

Bournemouth ranks very low but its Media school has a very good reputation. A friend who is studying the couse there told me he had the chance to visit BBC.

a friend of mine is doing broadcast journalism and after she visited Bournemouth, her mind was set on it. she was saying that bournemouth is really good to get in to the work and that they do not try to push you to doing something you dont want, e.g radio if you arent interested. also said they really try to help you find the work you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankhoward)

Sheffield is far and away the more respected uni. Go there!

ReputationRep:
    i recently went sheff to stay wit my mate who's doing geog (first yr) its really nice n cool! i liked it!and the nightlifes real good!!!!!!! even thou im not going there i'd recommend it!! ranmoor house one of catered accomodation halls has got a bar/pub underneath it...bloody lush lol!

ReputationRep:
    My friend is doing the journalism masters course at Sheffield. Which is a crammed version of the undergrad course I think. She is finding it pretty good I think. Sheffield has a very good reputation all round but Bournemouth is top for journalism so really it is a question of priorities. If you are going to definitely pick a career in journalism then Bournemouth is the best journalism school but if you have any doubt in your mind at all about careers then I would advise Sheffield because the course is good and its overall rep is a lot better than Bournemouth. If you have any questions about sheffield i can answer them and I can always ask my friend if you have any specific queries about the course.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing a Journalism degree at Central Lancashire at the moment.

Both of the Uni's you mention have good reputations for Journalism, as do Cardiff and Central Lancashire. The only thing I would say about Sheffield is that it's offering you a place on a broadcast journalism course but it is not accredited by the BJTC. I dont know how important that might be.

We are told that accreditation by both the NCTJ and BJTC is important. Maybe you could contact some people in the industry and see what they think or research the accrediting bodies.

Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.