This discussion is closed.
wildeoneify
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have a firm offer to Cardiff Uni for September this year.
I have a small dog I would love to keep with me..my parents aren't really in the position to take her and I will not re home her so I really need to have her with me.

Has anyone else has experience with this? How should I look for accommodation?

Any help would be sooo appreciated!!!

Thanks x
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wildeoneify)
I have a firm offer to Cardiff Uni for September this year.
I have a small dog I would love to keep with me..my parents aren't really in the position to take her and I will not re home her so I really need to have her with me.

Has anyone else has experience with this? How should I look for accommodation?

Any help would be sooo appreciated!!!

Thanks x
I'd be very surprised if you manage to get rented accommodation that will allow a student to keep a dog.
neon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You could just lie about it and hide it when you need to. But that would be a lot harder in first year than it would be in private accommodation. And would you really want to risk being kicked out of halls over a dog?
wildeoneify
Rep:
?
Thats the thing, I know i wouldnt be allowed in Halls, I think they would see me taking her in and out! But like student houses outside of halls.
I think I would probably have to lie about keeping one and just be carefull, but does anyoen know anyone else who has had a dog in uni???
Valjean
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I took my dog to uni with me and it was challenging, but not impossible to find somewhere to live.

You could try www.spareroom.co.uk - you can check 'pets allowed' before you search, then message the landlords. You will probably find that a lot of them are only willing to have cats at most, but when I recently was contemplating moving out of my privately rented house, I did find some shared houses which were open to having a dog.

If you rent a place on your own, you'll probably want to rule flats out (who wants to get dressed and find the dog's lead in the middle of the night just so they can go out for a wee?) and be limited just to houses with gardens. The rent will obviously be more expensive than a shared house (I do this and it cripples me) and the lettings agency will probably make you pay all sorts of fees to add extra clauses to your tenancy agreement, and they might make it so you have to have all the carpets steam cleaned at the end.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
Helmi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey !

I'm thinking about getting a dog and I just called a realestate agent and said to him what I need (a place where i can have a dog) and he found me one. If it's a small one the landlords are more likely to say yes. So just ring up an estate agent and tell them your situation xo
Apa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My partner and I are renting a house as students with our German Shepherd, I found it on the first day I started looking. It's entirely possible
vvbox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah, lots of dogs in campus. you just keep them off the guard you'll be fine.
Flyteryder
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't want to share a house with somebody who had a dog; the smell, the mess, the attention the dog owner thinks I should give it when I really don't want to, the barking, the howling, the walks when the dog owner is busy, the opening the doors all the time.

It might be hard to find other students who are willing to share a house with you if you have a dog.
littleone271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It sounds like it's going to make things an awful lot more difficult and probably impossible in halls depending on what the layout is like and whether you have cleaners, reception desk etc. Personally sharing a privately rented house in the 2nd year with someone who had a dog really wouldn't bother me as long as it was house trained and didn't bark constantly or jump up at me scratching my legs all the time. I was hoping that maybe in my 2nd year when I'm in a house I could get a small snake... I've heard of other people doing this and I've always wanted one!
tehFrance
Badges: 17
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
I'd be very surprised if you manage to get rented accommodation that will allow a student to keep a dog.
I found a place with relative ease, expensive but it can be done
Leooonie
Badges: 7
Report 9 years ago
I have my dog with me at Uni. but only because my parents bought a house..
However If you look at not telling a landlord.. make sure you have good cleaning skills. if dog hair is found, or the smell lingers.. you could find yourself outed.

You have to be careful with other students living with you. lay out ground rules with the dog, and preferably have a crate for the dog to stay in whilst you are out so no accidents occur involving the dog. If anyone is bitten (not syaing your dog bites, but there is always the chance something occurs that causes a bite) the person involved is likely to only blame the dog, and not their own actions.
wildeoneify
Rep:
?
Thank you so much guys, i really hope this works!! I know it wouldpossibly be more expensive, and I have found some one bed flats but i do kind of want to be with other students!!

yeah i totally agree with setting out ground rules with everyone and that dog.

Thanks again guys...any more info welcome really appriciated!
@
lyd27me
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am in the same predicament, I want something to call mine and desperatly want a chawawa! I won't be going to university till 2019 but I'm wondering if there's a way around it because I know a dog in my life would be really great! Maybe other students would enjoy the company but if the wrong people found out, I'd be kicked off the premises,right?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads