The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Sravya
I wanna do law to. Im applying Cambridge, LSE, Nottingham, Cardiff and Warwick

Just done AS 's didnt go as well as I would like :frown: . Am doing Maths, further Maths, Biology, Economics, R.S
Critical Thinking

Don't worry about it until Results Day! Though if you haven't done as well applying to 3 A*AA unis, including the most AS obsessed in Britain, and 2 AAAs, including Warwick, may need some rethinking.

Original post by Conzy210
This will hopefully be me, I'm worried however that I've only managed AABB though at AS which I think will rule me out of doing a law degree anywhere decent, although Newcastle are doing lower offer schemes for people who fall under certain criteria which includes me.

How well rated is Newcastle in terms of employability prospects?

Check it's employment stats in a league table or on unistats. Also, don't worry until you have the results in your hands and AABB is no catastrophe, a few years back admittedly, I had lower AS's than that and got Leicester and Warwick offers and my cousin got ABBB and offers for Birmingham and Newcastle this year.
Do you think the applicants will decrease for 2013 entry with the fee increase?
Reply 62
Original post by JLXP
Do you think the applicants will decrease for 2013 entry with the fee increase?

Fees increased for 2012 entry, the one's starting this Sept. so they'll be level again I imagine.
Original post by roh
Fees increased for 2012 entry, the one's starting this Sept. so they'll be level again I imagine.

Ah, my mistake. So you don't think number of applicants will change too much?
Reply 64
I'd imagine the number of applicants to law will drop. Mainly due to tuition fees and 'apprenticeships' for people with A-Levels by some companies.

And currently I'm considering a mix of the following: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cambridge, Oxford
Reply 65
Original post by JLXP
Ah, my mistake. So you don't think number of applicants will change too much?

Well its fallen back to 2010 round level, after it rose last year to dodge fees, so I'd guess it will be the same.

Zedd mentions the apprenticeships at Gordons, Irwin Mitchell, Pinsents, DWF and the odd other one but I think most law students aren't necessarily aware of them and even if they are I don't think they'll necessarily take them up in huge numbers because there simply aren't that many available and most don't want to confine themselves to regional firms (because training there is likely to limit moving up the pack to City and MC firms unless you network like crazy) that early on.

People are aware of saturation of the legal market so I'm not sure they'll be a major rise but I can't see a reason for a big fall, though there may well be one!
Reply 66
:hi:

Not applying for Law, but does anyone happen to know any good blogs by law applicants / students? :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by Vulpes
:hi:

Not applying for Law, but does anyone happen to know any good blogs by law applicants / students? :smile:

This one's excellent I heard :wink:

http://studentblogs.le.ac.uk/law/
Reply 68
Anyone managed to get any work experience at any local firms? I must have rang about 100 firms now and no luck :frown:
Reply 69
Good news for some of you. Nottingham's entry requirement for 2013 is AAA for internationals. It's stated in the last page of their law prospectus :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by JLXP
Indeed, it really did impress, it's got such a great student feel about it which makes it feel like such a nice place to be, and the separate law building seemed really nice too. I think i may apply for the international i'll take a good look at both specifications and students comments to make an informed decision :confused: :biggrin: The guy that did the talk about the international couse did make it sound rather interesting, i just hope it wouldn't put me at any sort of disadvantage for a training contract.

Bartolomé House is a great building, in my opinion, and it is certainly nicer to have our own building rather than having to share with with another department. The only disadvantage of the international course, that I have noticed, is that when it comes to applying for Vacation Schemes you will likely be aboard and therefore have to pay to fly back for interviews and assessment centres (although it is common for law firms to cover travel expenses, often offering between £50-100).

I don't think there would be any other problem with regard to landing a TC and previous international course students have of course gone off to great firms (Freshfields is the most recent that springs to mind for a law student on the international course).
Reply 71
I'm applying to law this year too. I think I'll be applying to Oxford, LSE, UCL and perhaps Edinburgh. Not sure about some, though. Rumors about how LSE doesn't like Oxford applicants is part of the reason.

Since I'm an international student, I don't take any A levels but I did do a lot of APs. I think the total is around 10, but I have to wait for my scores to come out next week. I have no idea what my scores will be for some of the subjects, hope they turn out to be decent!!
Reply 72
Original post by kavue
I'm applying to law this year too. I think I'll be applying to Oxford, LSE, UCL and perhaps Edinburgh. Not sure about some, though. Rumors about how LSE doesn't like Oxford applicants is part of the reason.

Since I'm an international student, I don't take any A levels but I did do a lot of APs. I think the total is around 10, but I have to wait for my scores to come out next week. I have no idea what my scores will be for some of the subjects, hope they turn out to be decent!!

Scottish law. If you intend to qualify as a solicitor or barrister in England and Wales you would be best advised to apply somewhere else, otherwise you'll end up doing the GDL for a year somewhat needlessly.

And it's only 4, you get 5 choices might as well use 'em up :smile:
Reply 73
Thanks for the replies you guys, I'll look at the unis suggested :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by kavue

Not too sure how they'd know you're an Oxford applicant since unis can't see what other unis you apply to! Unless you'd get asked in interview, I suppose?
Original post by emanuela15
Not too sure how they'd know you're an Oxford applicant since unis can't see what other unis you apply to! Unless you'd get asked in interview, I suppose?

There's an early deadline for Oxbridge applications, so if LSE receive the application before then, then it might a tip.

However, I think the rumour of them discriminating against Oxford applicants is unfounded.
Reply 76
Original post by Defragmentation
There's an early deadline for Oxbridge applications, so if LSE receive the application before then, then it might a tip.

However, I think the rumour of them discriminating against Oxford applicants is unfounded.

Hm...I never thought about it like that. I'm not applying to Oxbridge myself but I wanted to submit my application early; maybe I shouldn't after all.

Well, it's just that isn't it - a rumour.
Reply 77
Original post by emanuela15
Hm...I never thought about it like that. I'm not applying to Oxbridge myself but I wanted to submit my application early; maybe I shouldn't after all.

Well, it's just that isn't it - a rumour.

They used to be able to see their rank on your choices, and maybe even see the others you applied for not sure, but now they have no way of knowing short of a vague hunch based on your application date or actively ringing up Oxford and asking for a list of applicants, which I doubt they would give them,
Reply 78
As I vaguely remember from my first UCAS applications a few years back, can you not apply to, say, 2 uni's and then at a later date add an additional 3?
Had my first day working in a solicitors firm, along with plans to work in a barristers chamber soon! It's looking good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending