Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How would you rank the London schools for law....UCL, KCL, LSE, SOAS, QM?

If this has been debated, please direct me to that link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckwan16)

Personal Opinion: LSE, UCL = KCL, QM, SOAS

ReputationRep:
    1.lse
    2.ucl
    3.kcl
    4.qm
    5.soas

UCL, KCL, LSE, QM, SOAS...anywhere else? City maybe

i didnt realise the lse degree was rated so highly :confused:

ReputationRep:

LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS, QM

G

(Original post by Gnostic)
    The LSE, as I'm sure you know rah, is equal to Oxbridge.
    haha very true

but i honestly didnt know their rep for law was that high, the info from the chambers website suggested otherwise

meh wotevah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS, QM

G
    I agree with the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    I agree with the above.
    Wahey!!! So i'm not completely and utterly barmy!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Gnostic, you’re deliberately trying to bait me, ey?

Anyway, as a law student who studied at a London uni, my considered opinion (and one generally shared by most employers):

LSE and UCL
    KCL
    closely followed by SOAS
    Closely followed by QM.

One of UCL’s established strengths is its law department. It has churned out a bunch of judges and has some renowned academics. SO I’m afraid I suspect that those who rank it behind LSE just don’t know too much about it… I went to LSE btw, so im not biased.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed you're very dedicated in upholding KCLs prestige.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why I ranked LSE ahead of UCL for law was because of the Times League Tables for law - currently UCL is 8th, LSE 3rd. Also LSE is a better university in general than UCL.

I would beg to differ that Sausages and QM are close to KCL. On the Times League Tables for Law, the KCL Law School was, until recently, better than that of UCL and LSE. But we all know of the problems with league tables.

Broadly, the Law Schools of UCL, KCL, and LSE are all equally esteemed by City law firms and the Bar. Every few years the League Tables will notably fluctuate - LSE and KCL were join 1st in 1997 and KCL will probably be 1st again for law in a few years.

The KCL Law School is very different to the rest of KCL and is far more prestigious than the university in generally.
    I'd agree with that!

G

ReputationRep:
    The KCL Law School is very different to the rest of KCL and is far more prestigious than the university in generally.
    To shed some truth on that, if you tell people in Singapore about KCL, they would probably link it to the KCL Law Faculty... it's like the 'figure-head' for KCL I feel.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, Ive got no beef with you that Kcl law school is excellent. But I maintain that the reputation of SOAS law school amongst legal employers is not far behind that of lse, ucl and kcl.

and nice to see you defending kings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd)
    Oh, Ive got no beef with you that Kcl law school is excellent. But I maintain that the reputation of SOAS law school amongst legal employers is not far behind that of lse, ucl and kcl.

and nice to see you defending kings.
    I am not so sure about SOAS. The LLB from SOAS has only been recognised by Singapore in recent years, as compared to the long standings of LSE, KCL and UCL. No offence thou.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not.

ReputationRep:
    I grant you it's not far behind. The calibre of the students is high. The teaching might be as good. But the brightest and the best, are generally from Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately Oxbridge doesn't have enough places for all of the brightest and best. The remainder go elsewhere.
    But they generally go elsewhere because, good as they are, they're not quite the brightest nor the best.

ReputationRep:
    That’s ridiculous and even more arrogant than the crap I come out with. Are you seriously suggesting that the 8 law places at say Keble College Oxford are only given to the 8 actual best candidates out of the 60 applicants per annum?

And, for what it’s worth, although I have more than fulfilled the entry criteria (I already hold AAAA at A-level not including general studies which, if I did, would be AAAAA) to apply to Oxbridge nevertheless I didn’t because for the LSE is the mecca in the subject I applied for.
    No, I'm not. Obviously there are very capable candidates who do not get into Oxford and Cambridge, but of the very brightest and the best then I would argue that they nearly all get creamed off by Oxbridge. That is to say, that whilst all of the 8 that got in were probably not necessarily the best candidates, of that number the 1 or 2 very best candidates - those who went on to emerge with good firsts from Oxbridge - probably did get in.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.