Turn on thread page Beta

What the heck is G5? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What the heck is G5? I hear this term thrown arround....what does it mean?

ReputationRep:
    Its a term coined by the press for 5 of the top universities - Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE and Imperial (I think). Rumour is they want higher fees (bad) or at least a sensible system of funding (good)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckwan16)
    It's also a term coined for the top five economies in the world: USA, UK, Japan, Germany and France. (Not too sure about france actually).

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    It's also a term coined for the top five economies in the world: USA, UK, Japan, Germany and France. (Not too sure about france actually).
    surely G8 now i think-USA, UK, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Italy and Russia thrown in simply because of its size

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    surely G8 now i think-USA, UK, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Italy and Russia thrown in simply because of its size
    Lol - russia thrown in for it's size. Probably is G8 now, just my teacher used a G5 slide in class when comparing GDP production per hour.

ReputationRep:
    Its not Russia its actually china.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh G8 for the economies

The 5 biggest economies in the world are USA, Japan, China, Germany and India.

(Original post by Gnostic)
    I really don't know where you got that nonsense from, but then again you are only 15 or 16. The five biggest economies are, in order:

1) USA
    2) Japan
    3) Germany
    4) UK
    5) France

China and India combined don't even produce the GDP of France.
    isnt california fourth or fifth though? but yeah the above is completly right otherwise

ReputationRep:
    When it was first officially set up it was G7, the addition of Russia made it G8. It used to be made up of the Finance Ministers of each country (we call him the Chancellor) but is now made up of the leaders (i.e. Tony).

I really don't know where you got that nonsense from, but then again you are only 15 or 16. The five biggest economies are, in order:

1) USA
    2) Japan
    3) Germany
    4) UK
    5) France

Economics class. I just looked it up and you're right about the top 5, but China's (including HK's) economy was about as big as France's in 2002. If you used the latest figures and included India's GDP, it would be far higher than either France's or the UK's.

Here's the link:

www.worldbank.org/data/databytopic/GDP.pdf

ReputationRep:
    From the website of the G8 summit in Evian:

The G8 Summit brings together the leaders of Germany, Canada, the United States, France, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and Russia. In addition, the European Union participates and is represented by the president of the European Council and the President of the European Commission

So it's 8 plus a cameo from the EU...

ReputationRep:

1) USA
    2) Japan
    3) Germany
    4) UK
    5) France

Total bollox.

The five biggest economies in the world are

1)USA
    2)China (PR)
    3)Japan
    4)India
    5)Germany

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...untries-by-GDP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckwan16)
    very beautiful computers made by that wonderful company apple.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I thought its :
    1) USA
    2) Japan
    3) Germany
    4) UK

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha, what a debate. China's GDP may be big but consider the sheer size of it's population, divide the GDP by it's population and you'll find the average GDP per worker is not as high as France. (And I'm allowed to say this about China - I'm chinese).

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha, what a debate. China's GDP may be big but consider the sheer size of it's population, divide the GDP by it's population and you'll find the average GDP per worker is not as high as France. (And I'm allowed to say this about China - I'm chinese).
    its g8 now and china's in the Wto but not g8- usa, japan, germany, gb, france, italy,canada, russia (they call themselves industrialised 'democracies') and california would be 5th interesting eh

ReputationRep:
    u pps dont know ne thing do u
    G7 = usa, japan, germany, uk, france, italy, canada (not necessarily in that order)

g8 includes russia

when u calculate gdp - it is normally GDP per head..therefore CHINA is well out of it

china is part of the g12 or g13 developing countries

(Original post by zero101)
    when u calculate gdp - it is normally GDP per head..therefore CHINA is well out of it
    But GDP per capita isn't a very good way of measuring the size of an economy. Otherwise, Luxembourg would be the biggest economy in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    But GDP per capita isn't a very good way of measuring the size of an economy. Otherwise, Luxembourg would be the biggest economy in the world.
    and bermuda 3rd

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.