george.e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, i'm thinking of applying for psychology in uni so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what's like?
How hard is it? Because some places ask for crazy hard grades like A*AA, whereas others ask for Bs and Cs.
What sort of content is it? How's the workload?
Most importantly, where are you hoping for it to take you in the future? I've got a stereotypical view of all psychologists being like therapists, so what other avenues can you take for specific jobs?
Thanks!
Deano80
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I did an undergrad in psychology and graduated a year ago, of you are wanting a career in psychology it's important to check that your undergrad course is BPS approved (British Psychological Society) if your course is you can then access postgrad psychology courses.

You tend to cover similar topics in all BPS courses although there are always going to be some differences. The topics I did were, personality and individual differences, social psychology, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, abnormal psychology, research methods and then in the final year there were options to pick from such as forensic, counselling, health.

Research methods is probably the module which surprises most people as it is statistics as well as research design. We also did modules in personal development and career development.

There are lots of job routes you can he's for afterwards, if you want to do something psychology based then you can do educational, counselling, clinical, health, sports, occupational or business (might be more!). If you don't want to do something psychology based its a good degree to have as you get a really good grounding in academic writing, research skills, oral/presentation skills etc

The BPS website has some good links as to the types of jobs you can get and pay scales etc. Its worth bearing in mind though that almost all psychology based careers require postgrad qualifications and if you want to head into clinical psychology there is lots of competition so start getting work experience as soon as you can (now even!).

I hope this helps, so sorry for the really long post!! Feel free to message me if you want any more info.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
george.e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks! What are you doing with your undergrad degree now?
Deano80
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm starting a masters in health psychology in September. Most of the people from my course are heading into postgrad courses.

umarrehman187
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it is psychologically hard
Deano80
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No harder I think than any undergrad study. Depends on your background some topics may hit close to home. If you go on to work as a counsellor / clinical psychologist then you get a lot of psychological support yourself during study and career.

rachelvid
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what uni did you go to?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads