The Student Room Group

What universities are open to me with grades BBBC/D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MattyJo
But I don't really think this is ideal as I'm already taking a gap year?

What are you going to do in your gap year? Maybe you could not go on a gap year
Original post by MattyJo
I don't understand, surely my grades would match up to the entry requirements of the university? :s-smilie:.

Ok - you find me a decent university that will take you onto a mathematics course with those grades. Look I get why you want to do maths - you can potentially earn a lot of money and it is a great subject - but it is better to get into a great university and get great teachers and not be surrounded by remedial students. So I say again - get a decent foundation and you can go anywhere and I mean anywhere. I know someone who did a foundation at Kent and was offered the BSc at Warwick - one of the greatest unis for maths
I mean this in the least possible rude way and please don't take offence BUT if you can only get a B in maths and further maths would you be able to cope with it at degree level?
Um people, do you know if foundation courses are usually available in clearing. All this talk bout foundation actually sounds great!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 24
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Ok - you find me a decent university that will take you onto a mathematics course with those grades. Look I get why you want to do maths - you can potentially earn a lot of money and it is a great subject - but it is better to get into a great university and get great teachers and not be surrounded by remedial students. So I say again - get a decent foundation and you can go anywhere and I mean anywhere. I know someone who did a foundation at Kent and was offered the BSc at Warwick - one of the greatest unis for maths

But I wouldn't fit in in somewhere like Warwick :s-smilie:. Surely if I achieve what I achieve in my A levels that shows what I'm capable of? And I've worked very hard.
Reply 25
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
I mean this in the least possible rude way and please don't take offence BUT if you can only get a B in maths and further maths would you be able to cope with it at degree level?

What would you be your alternative suggestion? I very much enjoy the subject in school and I've read some books and it looks very appealing.
Wot do you like about maths and do you enjoy aspects of your other subjects?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 27
Bournemouth - a good uni and South!
Original post by MattyJo
But I wouldn't fit in in somewhere like Warwick :s-smilie:. Surely if I achieve what I achieve in my A levels that shows what I'm capable of? And I've worked very hard.

How do you know you wouldn't fit in at Warwick. Have you been there? I used Warwick as an example - there are plenty of others.

But at the end of the day, do you want to pay £9000/year for the educational equivalent of the 99p Store, when you can pay the same amount and get Waitrose.
Oh and the other thing - some unis - not all - don't like you to take a gap year if you are doing maths - unless you are doing something maths related like teaching it
Reply 30
Original post by squeakysquirrel
How do you know you wouldn't fit in at Warwick. Have you been there? I used Warwick as an example - there are plenty of others.

But at the end of the day, do you want to pay £9000/year for the educational equivalent of the 99p Store, when you can pay the same amount and get Waitrose.

I take your point and will consider it thoroughly :smile:.
If you want to go to a top uni and do maths then maybe it would be a good idea to do a foundation year - Birmingham University has one for example, my friend did one for Chemistry and now can go into Year 1 of Chemistry Undergraduate where he would have needed AAB/ABB where he had CCD. However, there's plenty of universities that would accept BBB for example - they're not necessary ones that people see as 'prestigious'. Such as Nottingham Trent, UWE, Essex, Brighton etc. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by MattyJo
Is there anything that is involved in the course that could make going to one uni more of an advantage? Or is it just personal preference?

No just look and see if you like the look of the course and the choices you get, obviously if you love number theory and a particular uni doesn't have many options for it you may be inclined to go elsewhere.
Reply 33
Original post by TheJ0ker
No just look and see if you like the look of the course and the choices you get, obviously if you love number theory and a particular uni doesn't have many options for it you may be inclined to go elsewhere.

Okay, thanks for the advice!
Original post by MattyJo
Thing is I'm already doing a gap year and I'd rather not lose even more time, nah pure maths.

but where you get the degree from is still important, 1 year in which if you're good at maths anyway you can mess around and enjoy an extra year at university paid for by the government, what's the rush? Job market won't improve till then anyway... on top of that the loan won;t even hurt you once it's that high...
(edited 11 years ago)
Hull, swansea, cardiff, goldsmith, heriot-watt, brunel, ulster etc.
Reply 36
Original post by pshewitt1
but where you get the degree from is still important, 1 year in which if you're good at maths anyway you can mess around and enjoy an extra year at university paid for by the government, what's the rush? Job market won't improve till then anyway... on top of that the loan won;t even hurt you once it's that high...

May I ask, are you a graduate?
Original post by MattyJo
May I ask, are you a graduate?

nope, why?
Reply 38
Original post by MattyJo
I've had a look about but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas about where I could potentially be going? Would rather the institution be in the South. In my A levels I aim to achieve B (Maths), B (Further Maths), B (Biology), and C/D(Physics).
Obviously I know these grades are not good enough to get into a Russell Group so I was wondering about the alternatives?

Not to sound blunt or disheartning in any way shape or form, honestly. But if russel group uni's dont usually accept good A-levels with decent/good GCSE's then Its unlikely that they'd favour a foundation year with lower than required A-levels applicant over an A-level student with the grades. Even though many unis tend to say that they accept people via a foundation years in reality most dont, the same way they don't accept BTEC's. If your looking for a University with BBC entries check out the university of bedfordshire (heard its not the best), University of west of england and generally Uni's near the south of england. Good Luck and hope you get to do the course you want.
Original post by jesse111
Not to sound blunt or disheartning in any way shape or form, honestly. But if russel group uni's dont usually accept good A-levels with decent/good GCSE's then Its unlikely that they'd favour a foundation year with lower than required A-levels applicant over an A-level student with the grades. Even though many unis tend to say that they accept people via a foundation years in reality most dont, the same way they don't accept BTEC's. If your looking for a University with BBC entries check out the university of bedfordshire (heard its not the best), University of west of england and generally Uni's near the south of england. Good Luck and hope you get to do the course you want.

you don't seem to understand what a foundation year is... it's integrated onto the course for people who can't make the usual offer, it's all taught at the university, and you advance onto the course provided you pass it... for example I can go to Liverpool, Manchester, Southampton and B'ham.
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/foundationyear/uk-eu/
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest