Turn on thread page Beta

medical school watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    has anyone applied to medicine and has been rejected like me? if so can u please help me on how i can get there in the end without completing a whole biomedical degree an dthen applying again i was hinking of a gap year but i called up some unis and they don't really like the idea of a gap year? is it possible to fast track on all the biomedical degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen 99)
    has anyone applied to medicine and has been rejected like me? if so can u please help me on how i can get there in the end without completing a whole biomedical degree an dthen applying again i was hinking of a gap year but i called up some unis and they don't really like the idea of a gap year? is it possible to fast track on all the biomedical degrees.
    One of my friends applied for medicine this year and got rejected by all 4 of her choices. She used her other non-medicine choices to apply for chemistry, and is actually going to do chemistry at uni and decide what she wants to do from there. Another girl from my school applied for med last year with deferred entry and has a place at Southampton, so obviously they didn't mind her doing a gap year. I think if you're doing something worthwhile (and maybe slightly related to medicine) then they'll look a bit more favourably on it.

Also there is a girl on my chemistry course here (she is doing a BSc) who wants to do medicine, but she did A-Levels a while ago (she did the old system) and only did 2 (but both were A grades i think), so is having to do a chemistry degree before she goes to do medicine, but she's can't fast-track it I don't think. But it is straight chemistry so maybe its different for a biomedical degree.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I would strongly advise you avoid the grad route if at all possible - the competition is even fiercer. Degrees are difficulty enough as it is without your heart not being in the subject you're studying.

Have you any idea which part of your application has let you down? If it's predicted A level grades, then try and ensure you get the best results you can this summer. If it's lack of work exp, vol work etc, then a gap year could be used to strengthen your application. Don't look upon it as a 'waste of time'. You can earn money, travel, gain more experience etc. So many medics now chose to take a gap year.

There are many people in similar situations on www.medschoolguide.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Uni's shouldn't mind you having a gap year, as long as you use your time constructivly, - working, more work experience, travelling, volentary work etc. Try to find out why you were rejected from the places you applied, in order to strengthen your application next time round. I wouldn't advise apply post-grad, - that'll be even harder to get in.

ReputationRep:
    have a look at medschoolguide.co.uk I think thats the address! there are plenty of potential medics etc on there who will be able to advise you and empathise.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply i think what let me down me down was my lack of work experience so i will probably take a gap year and reapply is it possible in the case of medicine to reapply to the same universities again if you have been rejected before?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply i think what let me down me down was my lack of work experience so i will probably take a gap year and reapply is it possible in the case of medicine to reapply to the same universities again if you have been rejected before?
    Yes, it's fine to reapply to the same universities.

ReputationRep:
    Some medical schools are likely to offer you a place (so i have heard) if they rejected you but u have the guts to reapply to them again. Shows determination.

ReputationRep:
    don't know if this was mentioned before, u could try apply through clearning-some unis do ucas extra, though your chances are slim, were u rejected by all four of your choices??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgo203)
    don't know if this was mentioned before, u could try apply through clearning-some unis do ucas extra, though your chances are slim, were u rejected by all four of your choices??
    What's Ucas extra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgo203)
    i only apllied to three cos i thought tha i would have a small chance of getting in and i got rejected from all three.

ReputationRep:
    you could go to Prague.
    Doing a biochem degree is not wasted time - you would probably do an intercalated BSc anyway had you go into MB first time - most people do. You could do your 3 year degree and then a 4 post grad entry MB at say Warwick - it would only have taken an extra year.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities allow first years who follow the course of study for a degree in life sciences to transfer to medicine after their first year if they have the required grades and if theres room in the Medical Faculty. Also some universities allow students who lack the required grades for medicine to take a preparatory year which qualifies them for it (Sussex Uni do one http://www.readmedicine.com/ ) another option is St.Andrews which has a 'Medical Science' Degree taking 3 years and completion of which guarentess you a place at Manchester Uni for Medicine on an accelerated course which takes a further 3 years, though the minimum requirements for the St.Andrews degree is only marginally lower than those for the MB chB.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.