The Student Room Group

Oxford with a B in a Higher in S3

On a teacher's recommendation, I took two highers - politics and computing - in S3. In the weeks following the exams, I've become disillusioned with my initial high hopes, and have managed to convince myself that, while I don't think I dipped to a C, I don't think I can have got more than a B in either.

Oxford is my ideal school, and my Int 2/SG predictions all had me at Oxford level. With this ridiculous act of hubris, however, have I killed my Oxford chances? If I had only had the humility not to try to take two highers, however soft, by a variously reliable system of poorly-coordinated self-study (the teachers from other schools who were slated to take my Higher Computing never put in an appearance, but I can't lay the blame on them - once one term had passed without their ministry, I should have bitten the bullet and done it entirely as self-study, rather than Beckettianly waiting and doing only as my "facilitator" said!), in third year, would I still be looking forward to Oxford?

There is no point in torturing myself with the belief that I might still be able to get in if I've blown my chances already. So: in what I fear is the most likely scenario - that I have two Bs at Higher in S3 - could I redeem myself and be competitive for Oxford if I get an A in every Int 2/SG Credit next year and in every Higher the year after, despite this blot? Does it make any difference that the courses for which I was intending to apply at Oxford don't require politics or computing?

(I feel sick. I wish I weren't so stupidly headstrong. I wish I weren't so lazy.)
Reply 1
I doubt you're going to be punished for getting B's in Highers you done when in S3. Universities will know that's a big achievement.
Reply 2
Original post by Ecosse_14
I doubt you're going to be punished for getting B's in Highers you done when in S3. Universities will know that's a big achievement.

Two Bs in soft subjects are far from a "big achievement". Besides, the fact remains that they're Bs.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there any way I could anonymously contact Oxford admissions about it?
Reply 3
How old are you? 14/15? Two B's at highers are excellent for your age and considering you have little experience in your subjects. As long as you take 5 highers in fifth year then they'll see you're smart. Two highers in S3 is impressive, Oxford standard even at B's.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lenina
Two Bs in soft subjects are far from a "big achievement". Besides, the fact remains that they're Bs.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there any way I could anonymously contact Oxford admissions about it?

I was talking about you doing them in S3. They aren't Bs yet.
I don't know what your plans are, but if you achieve good grades at a more typical point (e.g. 5 As in fifth year) then your performance in third year will be irrelevant.

Original post by nerd434
Since when do students do Highers in third year?

Also this.
Reply 6
And also, you don't even know what your results are yet and typically you think you will get worse than what you get. So there's a chance it's not even two B's anyway. However, 2 B's at S3 is fantastic and shouldn't be making you feel sick.
Original post by Lenina
On a teacher's recommendation, I took two highers - politics and computing - in S3. In the weeks following the exams, I've become disillusioned with my initial high hopes, and have managed to convince myself that, while I don't think I dipped to a C, I don't think I can have got more than a B in either.

Oxford is my ideal school, and my Int 2/SG predictions all had me at Oxford level. With this ridiculous act of hubris, however, have I killed my Oxford chances? If I had only had the humility not to try to take two highers, however soft, by a variously reliable system of poorly-coordinated self-study (the teachers from other schools who were slated to take my Higher Computing never put in an appearance, but I can't lay the blame on them - once one term had passed without their ministry, I should have bitten the bullet and done it entirely as self-study, rather than Beckettianly waiting and doing only as my "facilitator" said!), in third year, would I still be looking forward to Oxford?

There is no point in torturing myself with the belief that I might still be able to get in if I've blown my chances already. So: in what I fear is the most likely scenario - that I have two Bs at Higher in S3 - could I redeem myself and be competitive for Oxford if I get an A in every Int 2/SG Credit next year and in every Higher the year after, despite this blot? Does it make any difference that the courses for which I was intending to apply at Oxford don't require politics or computing?

(I feel sick. I wish I weren't so stupidly headstrong. I wish I weren't so lazy.)

Seriously 2 highers in your 3rd year is fantastic. Regardless of what you get at them it certainly will not hinder your chances of getting to Oxford. Furthermore I wouldn't really say that Politics is a soft subject, and computing isn't that bad. They will still be counted.

I'd imagine, like most universities they'll just look at your 5th year results, or since Oxford is an English uni your adv highers in 6th year :smile:
What kind of teacher says take 2 highers in S3? Also did you do your highers over two years and sit in S4 or in one year in S3?
Original post by SneakyDoug
What kind of teacher says take 2 highers in S3? Also did you do your highers over two years and sit in S4 or in one year in S3?

The cost of doing Highers in S3 could've been less Standard Grades. Which I would say is a poor deal.
Reply 10
To clarify, they were both "soft" Highers.

What kind of teacher says take 2 highers in S3?

One who I suspect reads TSR and may have realised that this is me, so I'll keep my opinions to myself. :P

Also did you do your highers over two years and sit in S4 or in one year in S3?

I did the courses for one year in S2 and sat them in S3. I'm currently in (my final weeks of) S3, not S4.
Original post by Lenina

I did the courses for one year in S2 and sat them in S3. I'm currently in (my final weeks of) S3, not S4.

If you are just finishing S3 why are you 15? I'm 15 and going into S5...
If you are just finishing S3 why are you 15? I'm 15 and going into S5...

She can be 15 and be going into S4. Must be one of the oldest in her year though whereas you must not be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending