Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if i go to a good uni like brunel and get a degree, would i then be able to do a Msc in a BETTER uni like UCL or cambridge and have better job opportunities? in other words, would employers consider you as a graduate from the latter uni or the previous but with just an additional useless yr at a better uni? thnks much

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

I think it would be hard to get a masters at a better uni e.g ucl or cambridge after being at brunel. You will definatley have to have a 1st, no question about that, but even then since you'll be competing with other people who have 1sts from like LSE/oxford/imperial (you haven't stated subject), you'll need something big to stand out from the crowd, like some kind of prize winning etc. In terms of employment prospects after the masters, well employers wil certainly still see the first degree place and although some say this is the most important one, I'm sure they would at least acknowledge the fact that you had to work pretty hard to get to the higher uni for your masters. Nothing is impossible and if you work hard you could probably achieve this, but don't rely on this as your only option, make sure you have a number of options after you graduate in case it doesn't work out.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I am still thinking of doing a masters at a better unviersity as well, however all the people I know who have got masters at my university have now got very good jobs apart from one who is a small supermarket superviser.

I am thinking of Manchester, Lancaster (just to annoy me sister), Liverpool, Shefield, maybe Salford etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I am still thinking of doing a masters at a better unviersity as well, however all the people I know who have got masters at my university have now got very good jobs apart from one who is a small supermarket superviser.

I am thinking of Manchester, Lancaster (just to annoy me sister), Liverpool, Shefield, maybe Salford etc.
    im gonna do comp science and then move to dubai for work,

Brunel aint that worse then UCL or imperial, its still one of the top in london. One of the best unis for engineering and it has a high RAE for comp science (5 B). i think however if i graduated from surrey or city uni then i would struggle competing against students from UCL imperial etc...

i have no idea why pple get the impression brunel is crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)

Brunel aint that worse then UCL or imperial, its still one of the top in london. One of the best unis for engineering and it has a high RAE for comp science (5 B). i think however if i graduated from surrey or city uni then i would struggle competing against students from UCL imperial etc...

I want to do computer science as well, the annoying thing is my univerity actually has a very good masters programme for that subject but I would want to go some where different for a change. I can only do it part time anyway as I need a full time job when I graduate even it its just somthing poxy until I can find somthing better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)

erm don't mean to be rude but you can't compare Brunel to Imperial or UCL. It isn't really one of the top unis in London, otherwise they're ALL the top unis in London, which is silly because there are gonna be some at the top and some at the bottom. There is quite a big gulf between Brunel and Imperial/UCL.
    Reality check here please.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, is it possible to do a Ph.D right after a Bachelor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wal)
    BTW, is it possible to do a Ph.D right after a Bachelor?
    Yes you just need a 2:1, in some case you can do it with a 2:2 depending on the subject. If you are willing to pay (i.e none uni funded) you may even get acepted with a 3rd from TVU.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you just need a 2:1, in some case you can do it with a 2:2 depending on the subject. If you are willing to pay (i.e none uni funded) you may even get acepted with a 3rd from TVU.
    Allright, I thought you need to do a masters before.

Btw, what is a first, and what a 2:1 ? What is the scale?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wal)
    Allright, I thought you need to do a masters before.

Btw, what is a first, and what a 2:1 ? What is the scale?
    You don't need a masters, a PHD is a research degree while a Masters is a taught one.

Degrees are classified as follows (this is very general it depends on the uni and course)

40% - A 3rd class degree
    50% - 2:2
    60% - 2:1
    70% - 1:2
    80% - 1:1

To get the Hons after your name you must do a large project in the 3rd year. I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a masters, a PHD is a research degree while a Masters is a taught one.

Degrees are classified as follows (this is very general it depends on the uni and course)

40% - A 3rd class degree
    50% - 2:2
    60% - 2:1
    70% - 1:2
    80% - 1:1

To get the Hons after your name you must do a large project in the 3rd year. I hope this helps.
    I was under the impression that everyone got Hons now??

Also, can you get 1:2? I always though a first was a first, didn't realise there was an upper class first and a lower class first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    I was under the impression that everyone got Hons now??
    I read somewhere that you didn't get hons if you got less than a third, but still passed. Otherwise, I think everybody does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I read somewhere that you didn't get hons if you got less than a third, but still passed. Otherwise, I think everybody does.
    ah ok thanks !

ReputationRep:
    We don't get 1:2 or 1:1. Everything above 70 is a first, and in some deparments (like ours) it is department policy not really to give anything above 80.

As for the initial Masters question, with a First (or even an Upper Second) you should be able to get into a "better uni" if you try. I'm currently doing History at Essex (an academically respected uni, although most non-academics don't know that), and I've got a confitional offer to do a Masters at Cambridge, i.e. if I get an average of 65% or more this year. I guess it depends on your motivation and whether you can come up with a good idea (in case of a research degree). Doing a PhD straight after your BA/BSc is possible, however, talking to lecturers at different universities I have been told that in recent years this has become more and more unusual, and that most universities are now very reluctant to accept candidates without a Masters. However, it does depend on the course (maybe it's easier for sciences) and also, sadly, on your financial means.

ReputationRep:
    The honours is independent of the grade, so if you do well in everything else but mess up your final year project/disseratation you can still get a good grade such as a 2:1, you just can't put the (hon) after you name.

ReputationRep:
    The honours is independent of the grade, so if you do well in everything else but mess up your final year project/disseratation you can still get a good grade such as a 2:1, you just can't put the (hon) after you name.
    That wasnt the case on my course a lot of courses dont do dissertations or large projects these days. On my course you got honours unless you got a third and below.
    Also I've never heard of a 1.2 anything over 70% is a first.

You can normally do a masters at a better uni, this is mainly because less masters get done these days because of high fees. And the unis want to fill up their masters courses to rake the money in. You can normally do a masters if you get a good 2.1 from any uni. The only unis which I believe are still selective about which uni you go to for your first degree when accepting you in your masters are a few in the top 5. oxbridge etc. I could have gone to UCL with a 2.1 to do my masters so I'm pretty sure you would get in there with a 2.1 or above to do an Msc but you would probably have to contact Cambridge to see because I think you might have more trouble there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolDude13)
    I think it would be hard to get a masters at a better uni e.g ucl or cambridge after being at brunel. You will definatley have to have a 1st, no question about that, but even then since you'll be competing with other people who have 1sts from like LSE/oxford/imperial (you haven't stated subject), you'll need something big to stand out from the crowd, like some kind of prize winning etc. In terms of employment prospects after the masters, well employers wil certainly still see the first degree place and although some say this is the most important one, I'm sure they would at least acknowledge the fact that you had to work pretty hard to get to the higher uni for your masters. Nothing is impossible and if you work hard you could probably achieve this, but don't rely on this as your only option, make sure you have a number of options after you graduate in case it doesn't work out.

Good Luck!

I like the 'UCL and Cambridge line', lol. Getting into a masters at any university other than Cambridge, Oxford and the LSE is a joke. You will get in with your eyes closed providing you get a reasonable 2:1. That includes both Imperial and UCL, especially UCL.

A word of warning, they will let you in as they need the extra cash. That doesn't necessarily mean you will get anything out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    I like the 'UCL and Cambridge line', lol. Getting into a masters at any university other than Cambridge, Oxford and the LSE is a joke. You will get in with your eyes closed providing you get a reasonable 2:1. That includes both Imperial and UCL, especially UCL.

A word of warning, they will let you in as they need the extra cash. That doesn't necessarily mean you will get anything out of it.
    ahem no that doesn't include Imperial JS, not for the good subjects anyway, although certain for undersubscribed subjects I can see why that might be happeneing.

As for the extra cash part, I imagine that applies to LSE most of all, hence their ridiculous intake of foreign students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    ahem no that doesn't include Imperial JS, not for the good subjects anyway, although certain for undersubscribed subjects I can see why that might be happeneing.

As for the extra cash part, I imagine that applies to LSE most of all, hence their ridiculous intake of foreign students!
    do you think it is worth doing a master instead of a ba? and are master courses every hard to get into e.g. economics masters at ucl or something? I personally am very ignorant about differences between masters and bachelor degrees!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.