Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    ahem no that doesn't include Imperial JS, not for the good subjects anyway, although certain for undersubscribed subjects I can see why that might be happeneing.

As for the extra cash part, I imagine that applies to LSE most of all, hence their ridiculous intake of foreign students!
    Actually it does for most subjects imperial will consider you for a post grad if you satisfy the requirement of, a minimum 2:2 UK degree with Honours, or equivalent qualification.

That is stated in their admissions section.

Most masters subjects are undersubscribed. I know several people that have got on masters courses with a third. Its a joke the unis will take you for the fees but then you wont be able to keep up with the course and will have to drop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Actually it does for most subjects imperial will consider you for a post grad if you satisfy the requirement of, a minimum 2:2 UK degree with Honours, or equivalent qualification.

That is stated in their admissions section.

Most masters subjects are undersubscribed. I know several people that have got on masters courses with a third. Its a joke the unis will take you for the fees but then you wont be able to keep up with the course and will have to drop out.
    What is the point of a masters then ?! :confused:

Well anyway I don't think it applies to the computing courses, they seem to be oversubscribed most of the time.

ReputationRep:

Well anyway I don't think it applies to the computing courses, they seem to be oversubscribed most of the time.
    Well basically its a case of if you get it you earn it. The masters isnt any easier but they let anyone on cos of the funds and then its up to you to keep up with the work, if you drop out its you thats wasted the money the uni doesnt lose anything. Its the same for all masters except for at the top couple of unis these days and that includes computer courses.

ReputationRep:
    Well basically its a case of if you get it you earn it. The masters isnt any easier but they let anyone on cos of the funds and then its up to you to keep up with the work, if you drop out its you thats wasted the money the uni doesnt lose anything. Its the same for all masters except for at the top couple of unis these days and that includes computer courses.
    i meant the computing courses at imperial. The ones at other unis are definatley easier to get into.

ReputationRep:
    i meant the computing courses at imperial. The ones at other unis are definatley easier to get into.

Well it says to email them for specific course requirements i am tempted to just out of interest. I'll email them and let you know.

ReputationRep:
    Well it says to email them for specific course requirements i am tempted to just out of interest. I'll email them and let you know.
    okie dokie,

I wonder if the admissions page one is some kinda of "matriculation" one, (is that what's called?), so it'll be higher for highly demanded courses nearly always, but on that level for the unpopular ones, rather than all requiring a 2:2?

ReputationRep:
    okie dokie,

I wonder if the admissions page one is some kinda of "matriculation" one, (is that what's called?), so it'll be higher for highly demanded courses nearly always, but on that level for the unpopular ones, rather than all requiring a 2:2?
    Well I'll let you know shortly cos I just emailed (using different addresses) the admissions guy for the MSc conversion course thats to convert from another subject to computers, and to the MSc advanced computers for someone wanting to take their computer qualifications further to ask about admissions.

ReputationRep:
    Masters seem really quite easy to get into, all Manchester want is a good 2:1. Getting a 2:1 is probably easier than getting 3 grade A levels in terms of hardness.

I think masters just go into in much further depth. Also a lot of universities take on students for undergraduate degrees who are not capable of doing it and will drop out.

ReputationRep:
    ahem no that doesn't include Imperial JS, not for the good subjects anyway, although certain for undersubscribed subjects I can see why that might be happeneing.

As for the extra cash part, I imagine that applies to LSE most of all, hence their ridiculous intake of foreign students!

It actually does apply to Imperial, which is why I find any comparison between IC and MIT just laughable. MIT is one of the most selective graduate schools in the world, getting into a doctorate at MIT actually means something BIG.

Once again, you need to do some research...it's all relative, now, lets see...

Find me courses at Imperial that are comparable to LSE's Economics MSc or the MRes or its PhD, or LSE's doctoral prog. in IR, Law; the BCL, the BPhil, the IR (and various others) MPhil at Oxford, and at Cambridge there's Economics, Management, Finance, Maths, Law and International Relations. These are just a few of the examples that I know off the top of my head.

What they have in common is that you will not be considered without a first class honours. IC is actually known to have a graduate school that's very easy to get into, relatively. Statistically, the 3 I've mentioned are easily the most competitive graduate (and undergraduate) schools in the UK.

Don't get my wrong, IC is a fantastic university, particularly at undergrad. level. It a very strong research profile, however people do tend to overstate its excellence in quite a major way. Whatever you like to think it doesn't have the global prestige of LSE (even though the global rep. is at times overstated for the LSE too).

ReputationRep:

Getting into IC's computing masters is just a formality. Computing isn't really oversubsribed, especially these days. Although some of the undergrad. degrees still are reasonably so, many of which you applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Don't get my wrong, IC is a fantastic university, particularly at undergrad. level. It a very strong research profile, however people do tend to overstate its excellence in quite a major way. Whatever you like to think it doesn't have the global prestige of LSE (even though the global rep. is at times overstated for the LSE too).
    I wonder if part of the reason that LSE has better global rep than IC is that LSE tends to produce pms/presidents/politicans etc, who will more likely be the ones doing soc sciences than sciences, and so are very vocal in their professions + will be all over the media. IC produce mainly scientist types which aren't really in the public eye at all, although may get a brief mention in the news once in a blue moon, so the institution they are associated with will be less well known.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Getting into IC's computing masters is just a formality. Computing isn't really oversubsribed, especially these days. Although some of the undergrad. degrees still are reasonably so, many of which you applied to.
    From my experience at undergrad level yes they are quite oversubscribed(esp. compared to other sciences e.g phys, chem etc) but possibly not as much as Economics in particular, which everyone seems to be really into right now, or maybe they have been into econ for years? My friends have been asked for 3A offers from institutions which are "good", but certainly not the best, which is weird.
    About the masters in computing at IC...it will be interesting to see what the reply to vivki's emails are, to see whether getting in is a formality or not.

edit: Hey one moment, JS how would you know about postgrad computing at IC? I thought you were an Economics guy from LSE?
    Sounds to me like you're making assumptions w/o knowing much about it....

ReputationRep:
    I got the email back - a 2.1 from a UK university and some programming experience. It seems pretty standard really not incredibly competitive but not too easy.

ReputationRep:
    I got the email back - a 2.1 from a UK university and some programming experience. It seems pretty standard really not incredibly competitive but not too easy.

Which university is for? I got lost in the thread a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Which university is for? I got lost in the thread a bit.
    Imperial for their comp sci postgrad programme. Thats for their MSc conversion (for grads in other disciplines) for comp sci

The Msc in adv compsci for those already with a computer degree is a 2.1 from a UK uni.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial for their comp sci postgrad programme. Thats for their MSc conversion (for grads in other disciplines) for comp sci

The Msc in adv compsci for those already with a computer degree is a 2.1 from a UK uni.

Wow that seems stupidly easy to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Wow that seems stupidly easy to get in.
    It does seem quite low doesn't it? But then again LSE's management programme for undergrads asks for just an ABB, you would think that would be easy, but it's a pretty hard course to get on(and apparently a very good course)! The point is in both cases I don't think they would accept every tom **** and harry who came knocking on the door who are just about filling the requirements, doing no more or less.

I'm not sure the general requirements of a course always dictate the ease in which you can get on to it.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience at undergrad level yes they are quite oversubscribed(esp. compared to other sciences e.g phys, chem etc) but possibly not as much as Economics in particular, which everyone seems to be really into right now, or maybe they have been into econ for years? My friends have been asked for 3A offers from institutions which are "good", but certainly not the best, which is weird.
    About the masters in computing at IC...it will be interesting to see what the reply to vivki's emails are, to see whether getting in is a formality or not.

edit: Hey one moment, JS how would you know about postgrad computing at IC? I thought you were an Economics guy from LSE?
    Sounds to me like you're making assumptions w/o knowing much about it....

Your first point was actually spot on (in your previous post), it's due to the nature of the work carried out there. Also, by international comparisons IC isn't particularly dominant in its field, whereas LSE is (just to compare, MIT has more nobel prizes in the last few years than IC has over its entire history) As for Computing, I know because a mate of mine got in. He studied at Demon-fort and got a 2:1! It's basically well known around London that with a 2:1 you can walk into IC.

As far as I'm aware, (I once considered applying for the Finance MSc there-during a time when I was less sure of myself academically-j/k) they do not, or at least a couple of years back did not ask for transcripts. Transcripts are a break down of your undergraduate grades, so IC go purely on your final classification. Universities such as Oxford, Cam and LSE, particularly in courses where they get over 9/10 applications per place really pay a lot of attention to your individual modular grades, that's how particular they can afford to be. IC is not that particular for its grad school, unless it has changed. Their courses are just relatively undersubscribed, it's not because they're inferior courses (some of them I am sure are fantastic) just that less people want to do them; this is of course why it's still knocking around in clearing in Aug.

ReputationRep:
    Masters courses are generally very unsubscribed now because of the expense it isnt a reflection on the uni.

ReputationRep:
    Masters courses are generally very unsubscribed now because of the expense it isnt a reflection on the uni.

That's not entirely true. For the top national universities, I refer to Bristol, Warwick, Edinburgh, Notts etc, I think that point is valid. However, if the university is going to claim to be better than this, then it must prove it self via the laws of supply and demand, rather than 'historical achievements' that Gnostic/Hewins concern themselves with.

They're generally undersubscribed, however, take a look at most of the MSc courses at the LSE, the MPhil degrees at Oxbridge, many will not even consider applicants without a first and even then they get several hundred people seeking entry. That's the mark of a world class university.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.