The Student Room Group

Are Btecs equivalent to GCSE's?

I did a Business Studies Btec and got distinction, which is equivalent to two A*s at GCSE but apparently, they're ignored by employers/sixth forms/universities and stuff. Is that true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends, on paper everybody accepts them. But some very good sixth forms just pretend they dont exist, but most I guess would accept them. Unis probably wouldnt mind as most of them dont really look at GCSES/BTEC's but russel group ones would probably put you out of contention if your tied with a GCSE applicant. Long story short an A* is valued more than a distinction and an A is probably still more valued than a Distinction unfortunately.
Top unis don't like BTEC's. FACT

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
If it's only a Level 2 alongside a fair amount of GCSEs it's fine. You PROBABLY shouldn't do a BTEC in place of an A Level if you plan on going to a university though.
Reply 4
i;m a teacher we accept them so long as the rest of your GCSEs are from a wide variety of subjects. BTECs are used to move schools up the league tables. Level 3 Btecs are not equivalent to A level.
Teachers do advertise that their BTEC Subjects are GCSE Equivalents. Although they may be regarded as equivalents, I would not say they are as 'respected'. When Universities look at your results, they would much rather see a GCSE than a BTEC GCSE equivalent.
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Teachers do advertise that their BTEC Subjects are GCSE Equivalents. Although they may be regarded as equivalents, I would not say they are as 'respected'. When Universities look at your results, they would much rather see a GCSE than a BTEC GCSE equivalent.

He's right. Unfortunately, we inhabit a cruel and merciless world.
Reply 7
They may be regarded as equivalents, however, some if not most sixth forms do not accept them.
Reply 8
They're usually equivalent to two GCSEs unless stated :smile:
Original post by Emrys141
I did a Business Studies Btec and got distinction, which is equivalent to two A*s at GCSE but apparently, they're ignored by employers/sixth forms/universities and stuff. Is that true?

In theory they are the equivalent to GCSEs. However, in reality most people know that they are a poor excuse for a qualification and that is why many employers and practically all good universities hold them in low regard. They really ought to be banned! My advise, stay well clear of them.
Reply 10
They were originally designed for pupils who wanted to get jobs or further vocational training straight out of school... when we had a more pronounced split between 'vocational' and 'academic' in the system.
That's not entirely what they're being used for anymore imo, i think they're often 'mis-sold' to pupils.
They're not a complete dead end by any means, but if you're wanting to do a traditional academic subject at uni then gcse and (especially) a levels are the best preparation imo.
Original post by CharlieBoardman

This is true. I think if they do do BTECS then it should be actual life skills, such as plumbing, painting, cooking etc.

These are all real jobs that will always be in demand. Academics like us who do GCSE's will become nothing, if we don't get jobs and the end of it.

But right now, it seems to me the government are doing bad BTECS not proper ones.
They should have proper BTECs and that way loads of people will be employed and they will actually be more "respected".
Original post by Emrys141

A Distinctipn at GCSE level is equivalent to 4 A's. Unfortunately, in January the local education minister Michael Gove scrapped the value of BTECS at gcse and now they are only worth 1 gcse unfortunately. Most unis do not like them too unfortunately.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
BTECs should be destroyed
Original post by recurring500
BTECs should be destroyed

I agree, partially.

I do like the fact that they are more coursework based for people who don't like exams, but I do not like their way of grading them, why not just use the same scale.

If a distinction is two A*'s, then what is a distinction*? I'm not saying a distinction is not 2 A*'s, but how is it fair that a qualification with the same time consumption and difficulty to complete is worth twice the grade. Also all people I know who have done btecs have distinctions, its as if they have no lower grade to give. :confused:
they are often seen as worthless
Original post by JaguarCello
they are often seen as worthless

They are worthless!
Reply 17
I dont see the point in doing them if there pointless. You spend all that time working hard and then people dont look at them. They are equivalent and should be counted as GCSE's. I did P.E BTEC and it was equivalent to two GCSE's and they said that to us and the sixth form college accepted it soo why were they invented if there worth nothing?!
Reply 18
My university is accepting me because of my BTEC Level 2 which is equivalent to 4 GCSE's and I only got about 2-3 GCSE passes of which 5 are needed to get into further education and higher education.
Reply 19
Original post by nmr1991
My university is accepting me because of my BTEC Level 2 which is equivalent to 4 GCSE's and I only got about 2-3 GCSE passes of which 5 are needed to get into further education and higher education.

Name of said institution?

grades for GCSE Maths and English?

Title of level 3 programme?

Degree area to be studied?

Quick Reply

Latest