Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Anxiety/Depression Watch

    • Thread Starter

    Okay, so I'm 19 years old, male and a student.

    I regularly get severely depressed or anxious about the smallest of things, to the point where I cannot concentrate on anything, enjoy the things I used to and I feel increasingly alienated from my friends and family.

    I've tried to talk to a doctor about this before but I failed to communicate just how bad it gets sometimes and he told me I was probably just nervous about exams and stuff and completely brushed me off.

    What I'd like to know is, is it worth it me going back to the doctor with this problem and if I get him to take me seriously, what steps might he take with me? Might he prescribe mood stabilizers/anti-depressants? And if he did, would I be made to attend some sort of counselling in addition to that or what?

    Well my cousin suffers from a form of depression and he has counselling once a week, it's not compulsory but he said it helps him as he's able to talk to someone openly. But the anti-depressant pills he takes, I don't know the name, turns him into a zombie...ever since he's started taking them he's a different person. He's slow to do anything and shakes a lot. I advice you, if you can, not to take them.

    The doctor couldn't care less. He probably thinks it is all in your mind (and to an extent it is).

    Pills won't help - they'll mong you out, but won't solve your problems.

    Nobody else really cares, the only one that can sort out your issue is you. If you are the kind of person that can get to the root of your problems, then maybe you can figure out what the issue is, if not, you probably need to go to counselling as they will help you do that.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 18, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What is your favourite film genre?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.