The Student Room Group

Recommended Law books for university

I'm currently in year 12 and hope to study law at university at any russel group uni. Can anyone suggest any 'starter' law books I can read that would give me a headstart and look impressive on a personal statement?
Thank you in advance

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Hey allstar.

I graduated a little while ago from Cambridge and here are a couple of books that were on the introductory reading list back in the day!

Understanding Criminal Law by Clarkson
-a little out of date but is a decent and brief introduction to the theory of criminal law (e.g. what is the purpose of criminal law)

An Introduction to Constitutional Law by Barendt
-a good introduction to the framework in which laws are made. The book goes through what a constitution is and why it matters, before considering the approaches that different countries take.

The Concept of Law by Hart
-pretty heavy stuff. This book is an introduction to jurisprudence or the philosophy of law

Any of the above books is a good start, the third book by Hart is more impressive if mentioned on a personal statement. More importantly, you will need to be prepared to discuss any book mentioned in your personal statement in an interview (if relevant).

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by jeremyg~
Hey allstar.

I graduated a little while ago from Cambridge and here are a couple of books that were on the introductory reading list back in the day!

may i ask? which law firm are you now working for or what are you doing now after graduation ?
Wow seriously! I just came to this subforum to ask exactly the same thing!

What kind of books are the above referring to? I'd prefer a single read book about Law, interesting but not tedious (like textbooks etc)
Reply 5
Hey allstar.

Understanding Criminal Law by Clarkson
-a little out of date but is a decent and brief introduction to the theory of criminal law (e.g. what is the purpose of criminal law)

An Introduction to Constitutional Law by Barendt
-a good introduction to the framework in which laws are made. The book goes through what a constitution is and why it matters, before considering the approaches that different countries take.

The Concept of Law by Hart
-pretty heavy stuff. This book is an introduction to jurisprudence or the philosophy of law

Any of the above books is a good start, the third book by Hart is more impressive if mentioned on a personal statement. More importantly, you will need to be prepared to discuss any book mentioned in your personal statement in an interview (if relevant).

Hope that helps!

Thank you! :smile:

Reply 6

Thank you , this looks great

Reply 7
Original post by tdkr
may i ask? which law firm are you now working for or what are you doing now after graduation ?

I'm working in the city for one of the big 4 professional services firms in advisory/assurance. I wanted to move into something a bit more entrepreneurial.

And yeah, Letters to a Law Student is good. McBride is seriously smart and his book is an original take on how to approach Law at university.
Reply 8
I'm working in the city for one of the big 4 professional services firms in advisory/assurance. I wanted to move into something a bit more entrepreneurial.

And yeah, Letters to a Law Student is good. McBride is seriously smart and his book is an original take on how to approach Law at university.

not Magic Circle/Silver Circle ?
Reply 9
Not a law firm at all!

I liked studying law but didn't particularly want to practice it if you can believe that.
Reply 10
Not a law firm at all!

I liked studying law but didn't particularly want to practice it if you can believe that.

yes i understand.
Reply 11
Original post by allstar
I'm currently in year 12 and hope to study law at university at any russel group uni. Can anyone suggest any 'starter' law books I can read that would give me a headstart and look impressive on a personal statement?
Thank you in advance

There's quite a good selection at the bottom of this page.

Also, apparently 'The Rule of Law' by Lord Bingham (might be credited a just Tom Bingham) is brilliant and reasonably accessible.
Reply 12
Original post by roh
There's quite a good selection at the bottom of this page.

Also, apparently 'The Rule of Law' by Lord Bingham (might be credited a just Tom Bingham) is brilliant and reasonably accessible.

This is incredibly helpful, especially the link you posted thank you very much

Reply 13
@graduate_seeds

Quick Reply

Latest