MSc in CFD : Cranfield or Leeds? Help !!! Your views on the matter Watch

csw1986
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello CallmeJackie!
Are you still around?
I'm very interested in CFD at Cranfield University... I'm also an international student and have few questions regarding CFD program!
callmejackie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just sent you a PM
ashishrana
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi callmejackie,

I am also an Indian student also wants to pursue MSc in CFD. Just want to know about the job placements by the University after course completion.

I will be very thankful to you if you suggest me few more universities for CFD in Europe preferably Germany, France and Italy.
MOD EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS ON A PUBLIC FORUM
callmejackie
Rep:
?
What do you want to know in specific? Send me a PM..
I am LIGHT
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello CallMeJackie. I read your first post last year when you were seeking admission but I am glad to see also that you have finished your intended course at cranfield. Congratulations! Glad the discussion thread was kept alive. I too am interested in studying CFD at cranfield. My challenge now is funding. I know of the commonwealth shared acholarship but thats about it. Pls could you let me in on other scholarships available for the MSc. CFD course at Cranfield? Thank you
callmejackie
Rep:
?
Hi Light,

I too was aware of the Commonwealth scholarship but, did not try for that ( I don't remember why ). If you are taking IELTS anytime this year, I know they offer a scholarship ( at least in India ) to the top scorers ( 9.0 ) but, you will have to make a separate application.

Other than that, I am not particulary aware of any scholarships given out to international students. And I dont think MSc : CFD at Cranfield is an Erasmus Mundus programme. So..

But, you could always try and seek help from the course director and ask his suggestions. He might be able to help you out on this.

Drop in a message if you have any other query.

Thanks and Regards,

callmejackie
dpkn2000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello guys,

callmejackie and me were classmates at the MSc. CFD programme at Cranfield. Nice to know many are interested in this course!

(@callmejackie: ithu njan aa, Deepak! :P)
dpkn2000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I forgot, I too can help in this!
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cranfield is supposed to an unsung jewel with unparalleled industry connections. You'll only be there for a year so don't worry that there's not that much going on.
dpkn2000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did like the environment at Cranfield (calm and quiet!), well I prefer such an environment to the ''most happening campus" ..just saying!
aero91
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am still waiting for my application status, but I had a different question relating to accommodation.

- which accommodation is highly recommended?
- Would you recommend catered or non catered? because I noticed at the open day there were not alot of shops around< did you guys have to travel to do your shopping?

Many thanks in advance for your time.
callmejackie
Rep:
?
Glad to see my classmates seeking me out in this virtual world !!!

As dpkn pointed out, Cranfield is apparently the unsung jewel with unparalleled industry connections. ( you see how I avoided plagiarism in the previous sentence ? One very important thing you will learn while you are at Cranfield, a thing which will define how you write even a comment in Facebook !!! )

Couple of things :
- It is calm, quiet, serene, English countryside ( at least, in 2013 ). Admitted that its not as lively as the other Uni which are in bigger cities, but, its not so bed either. CSA parties, house parties in the village, pub crawl from MK to Bedford ( Ive not done it, but I've heard, its SWELL ) games, musical societies, dance clubs etc and other activities will provide enough freedom and fun..

- If you are not already, you will certainly get addicted to coffee or coke or both ( among other stuffs )..

Things to do.. Get a bike and explore the country side, ride to bedford and Newport, ride to MK, roam around through the redways, go to the lake..
go for the trips from Mitchell, go off to the lake city, aberdeen, Isle of Mann ( Isle of Mann TT is in the last week of May - it is THE best roadrace one can ever watch in live and up close.. Awesome !!! Worth the money and trouble to take to pitch a tent and spend a couple of nights on the island ), Santa Pod Raceway ( just an hour and half away from MK. Good if you have a car ) where you will be able to see the beasts of the strip.... And then there is Silverstone ( I didnt go for the F1, but there is something called Mercedes Benz driving experience.. you could drive around the track )
There are a lot of things you can do in and around Cranfield in your free time ( which is next to Nil btw ) Among other things, New Years in London, Portobello street, madame tussauds, Hyde Part, Southwark, Greenwich museums, ferry ride etc..

- English Breakfasts ( YUM !!! )

And, last but, not the least, the Uni and the department.. Even though you may not like it very much when you are there, you will never regret it.
callmejackie
Rep:
?
Hoi.. apparently, this thread is trending !!! two messages were posted while I was typing my reply !!!
callmejackie
Rep:
?
Hi Aero,

Regarding chosing the halls, it all comes down to the money you want to spend every month. Dpkn will be able to answer that in a more elaborate manner as he lived in Mitchell
I got an offer from Mitchell, I rejected it and chose to live in the village.. I used to cook on my own , bring my food to the Uni..And I used to go to MK ( Tesco mainly ) to get my stuffs and there was Budgens and Co-op close by if I wanted anything perishable

I will bring back dpkn to the stage now so that he can explain more bout the halls
dpkn2000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello...
I can talk regarding the accommodation at Mitchell. It's a catered hall, so you dont have a kitchen, however you have a small kitchenette with a microwave and a fridge..there's a food court called as BLD, basically european style of food which you might find uncomfortable and if you're a vegetarian there's just boiled vegetables! If you're a non vegetarian you wont have much problems and the breakfast is just too good! you would be given a food card having an amount of £221 (valid for a month), which you can use to purchase the meals.
The rooms are large and spacious and a house-keeper would clean the room every week, bath and toilet facilities are also great (they're shared) .
The rent is nearly £500 per month. I would suggest staying in Lanchester or the shared houses which are much cheaper(about £300-400) and would also include a kitchen!
aero91
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did visit Mitchell hall, and the rooms did seem quite spacious. And I guess its slightly more expensive because food is included. My friend who lives in Lanchester has recommended to go for catered, because they have issues sometimes getting good food due to their busy schedule and shops like tesco being off campus. When I receive an offer, I will factor these points when choosing my accommodation.

This was very helpful information, so thank you Callmejackie and dpkn2000.
dpkn2000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Issues regarding getting food? Well you can order online from tesco and they would deliver at your convenient time (although there's a small charge for this) .. Moreover I reckon that it would be cheaper if you could cook your own food!
aero91
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm online delivery sound interesting, but I have some work to do on my cooking
callmejackie
Rep:
?
Cooking is actually not as difficult as you may think. You can find recipies online, order in from Tesco, and cook at your leisure. Delivery charges from Tesco can range from 3 to 8 pounds depending on how soon you want it at your doorstep (if you want it the same day as you order, you pay near to 5pounds which again depend on which day - weekday-low or weekend-high). Tesco offers a combo plan in which, you pay some 40pounds or something for three months and you will get free delivery - which means that you will be able to order in every two days and they will deliver for free..
callmejackie
Rep:
?
I never had enough of Cranfield. - my musings
A word of advice to the new students : Never underestimate the capability of the course to take the @#$% out of you. And never overestimate the importance of the education you are about to receive and how much it will define your future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.78%
Terrified (382)
22.2%
Meh (172)
9.99%
Confused (37)
2.15%