This discussion is closed.
NatashaB5051
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey everyone

I am starting the access to healthcare or access to nursing and was wondering if anyone could give me any information about either course what you learn etc. Would be nice to be able to talk to people who are doing the course now or starting the course to help each other out thanks
DH_101
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
Hi, I have just finished an access to HE (Nursing course).

Before you read on please do not panic, it sounds a lot but I have a lot of support and although I did work hard but I enjoyed it. I did not have a nice time in school and this is as a mature student. This has given me an access diploma that was accepted by my University. The support was excellent and has given me a good grounding for University.

We covered Mathematics (GCSE equivalence), Human systems (that covered Digestion and nutrition, Control and co-ordination, Transport Systems & Human reproduction, growth and Development), Study Skills (This covered help with your UCAS application as well as a research project), Cell Biology (DNA and genetics), English (covering Understanding and responding to texts, Technical skills for writing, Writing for different purposes & Speaking and listening), Health Studies (Stress, Health emergencies, Healthcare and the history of the NHS & Inequalities in health and illness) and Psychology (Introduction to psychology, Psychological approaches, Abnormal psychology & Social psychology) also there was an ICT module that I did not do as I wanted to do more psychology.

It looks a lot but it was well presented and this is more credits than you may need (this is a total of 78 and all I needed was 60). Let me know if you would like any more information.
NatashaB5051
Rep:
[QUOTE=DH_101;38196925]Hi, I have just finished an access to HE (Nursing course).
We covered Mathematics (GCSE equivalence), Human systems (that covered Digestion and nutrition, Control and co-ordination, Transport Systems & Human reproduction, growth and Development), Study Skills (This covered help with your UCAS application as well as a research project), Cell Biology (DNA and genetics), English (covering Understanding and responding to texts, Technical skills for writing, Writing for different purposes & Speaking and listening), Health Studies (Stress, Health emergencies, Healthcare and the history of the NHS & Inequalities in health and illness) and Psychology (Introduction to psychology, Psychological approaches, Abnormal psychology & Social psychology) also there was an ICT module that I did not do as I wanted to do more psychology.

Hey thanks for the information I have a bit of background as did AS biology and psychology I just dident do well in the exams so just trying to get as much information as possible to help get a bit of a head start. How did were you assessed ? and did you find it difficult ? can you do more modulus or pick the ones you want to do? can you explain more about what you learn in each area and time scale sorry for all the questions.
DH_101
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
[QUOTE=NatashaB5051;38202404]
(Original post by DH_101)
Hi, I have just finished an access to HE (Nursing course).

Hey thanks for the information I have a bit of background as did AS biology and psychology I just dident do well in the exams so just trying to get as much information as possible to help get a bit of a head start. How did were you assessed ? and did you find it difficult ? can you do more modulus or pick the ones you want to do? can you explain more about what you learn in each area and time scale sorry for all the questions.

I'm on my way out but will answer this tonight when I get back.
DH_101
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I’m going to try and give you all the right information here so you may want to go and get a coffee and then sit and read this.

First not all courses are the same, I suggest you have a look at what is running in your area and find one that fits you. I worked well with my course at NEW College Redditch and we did have some students travel hours to attend this course, to me it is the best in this area.

Most of my work was assessed by assignments 1000 to 2000 word works (some essay form some more flexible) for each one you get a fail, pass (at level 2), pass (at level 3), merit (at level 3) and distinction (at level 3). Each assignment gives your credits (3 for most) and your university will give you an offer based on your credits. Mine was “60 credits overall to include 45 at level 3 of which 15 must be at Distinction and 15 must be at Merit. A minimum of 12 credits at level 2 in English and Maths.” I did a total of 78 credits so you can fail parts of the course and still achieve your offer, right now some of my classmates are doing extra work to meet their offers.

Now if you did not understand all that do not panic, any good course will set it out as you go along, the big issues it to ensure that you get sufficient distinctions & merits. I did more that was required so ask for examples of pass/merit/distinction at the start of your course so you know where to aim.
I did not have a good time is school, If I went to school today I would have a SEN statement. I had issues with speaking, spelling, grammar and as an army brat my education was disrupted by moving a lot. Going back into education scared me (to put this into perspective I’m a 6’ tall big guy that worked with children with challenging behaviour for years, it takes a lot to scare me) but the staff where fantastic. They have been doing this for years and do get that for most people they are on this course due to a poor education and a desire to improve themselves, and many of the staff members have taken similar paths.

I was difficult to start with, just being in a class room again is hard, but you are with adults if you want to do this then I suggest get your head down and do it rather than chat with your friends in class (which happened a lot). Once I got my head into the right place for learning, I discovered that I am a nerd. I still have issues with spelling ect. but have learnt how to work to my strengths.

You have some flexibility in what you cover (but again this depends on your course) for example I want to work mental health so asked to do more psychology and no ICT (I have recent IT qualifications so could show the Universities that I have IT skills) so I dropped one class to pick up more of another, it was the same credits but at level 3 not level 2.

To give you an example please do not get scared here but this is the last module and was an exam (one of only 3 in the course). Health studies and the inequalities in health care. This looked at the research into the inequalities that still happen in healthcare in the UK and asked about the research into the area (the black report) how you measure inequalities (morbidity and mortality) what governments do about it (labour work to reduce /conservatives ignore) and what current policies are doing( destroying the NHS). This was a two-hour exam and the toughest part of the course. But this was after four weeks of classes, a good reading list, an excellent tutor, that so long as you put the work in, would sit and go through things with you and a mock exam that gave you an indication of what to look at before the real thing. This was the hardest part of the course but if you turned up, did the work, asked questions when you did not understand and read a book or two (or even just parts) and a good newspaper (that my college had for free in the library) you passed. This time scale is typical, four weeks learning then and then a week or two to do the work.

I would suggest you talk to your college as they should be used to questions like this, you will not be alone believe me I was emailing my tutor every night at the start of the course.

I hoped this helped and if you have any other questions let me know.
NatashaB5051
Rep:
(Original post by DH_101)
I’m going to try and give you all the right information here so you may want to go and get a coffee and then sit and read this.

I hoped this helped and if you have any other questions let me know.
Thank you so much for your Information I cant contact my college any info till they send the letters out confirming etc so have to wait till i can ask them questions They are running both the nursing and healthcare and they put me on the healthcare (would have preferred nursing for placements ) but I would rather get my head down and get it done. I was going to do it on-line as its 800 cheaper but I don't no whether it holds the same weight the website says i will be studying

MODULES/UNITS STUDIED
Level 2 Study Skills - six credits
Level 3 Units:
Drugs, Diseases and Biological Defences - 21 credits
Human Physiology - 21 Credits
HE Toolkit - three credits
Academic Writing - three credits
Healthcare communication - three credits
Psychology - six credits

I want to do some work to get a head start but don't no were to begin did you do any of these units. I am going to ask when I get my letter if I can possible do more units as some of the nursing ones will be relevant do you take notes like lectures or are you given notes as i may not fit in the timetable to go to the actual lessons ?

Thank you so much for your help its really helped im the youngest on my course by a lot so I am worried about it but at least i wont have the problem of talking to people do you recommend any books that maybe useful?
DH_101
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Sorry long day so I’m sorry if this is poor,
1) Contacting your college – as a perspective student you should be free to ask questions about your course and make informed choices, I am lucky my local college is good, not great but good, they will happily answer questions from anyone thinking of starting September. Colleges do not survive unless they have students as that is the source of funding. If they will not deal with you now I would question what support you will get once on the course, I work as a support worker and would like to get people that I support into university so looked into every access course in easy travel distance to my area, some were very poor. One person I met before a nursing interview only had two hours of lessons a weeks and no support, he did not get in.
2) Online or not? You are looking at going into a caring profession, you need to demonstrate human interaction, in my college interviews we were watched the whole time, to see how we talked to each other, I was a very chatty person and it worked . Online study works for many people (I ‘m doing a course over the summer) but if you hit an issue will you get support?
3) Weight, This is very important the only one that can give you the right answer is the university you are applying for. After re-reading your posts I need to ask what course are you doing and where? (feel free to PM me) as I do not want to give poor advice and I am happy to say I do not know. If you are doing a college course than you need to ensure it is accredited so the university you are looking at will accept it, I cannot give that answer nor can your college you have to ask the Uni.
4) My course was similar to yours, but if your access credits are the same as mine then you need to work hard. My course gave a possible 78 credits and yours 63, check in the university prospectus what a typical offer is as if you are scored the same as my (3 credits an assignment) you can only afford to fail one. My 78 incudes 6 points of further Maths so you should be able to do more, people who just missed offers on my course had the chance to do extra work to make up, you need to ensure you get that same chance.
5) Notes: depended on the class, all classes had handouts and online resources but this again differs for college to college. I need to take my own notes as it makes me pay attention and my notes fit the way my head works, I always looked at the handouts but my notes were the best for me. With maths I do not take notes with everything else I wrote sheets.
6) “the website says” Given the importance of this you need to be talking to someone and not reading off a website, if the college will not pick up the phone of set up an interview with the course leader you need to think about what is going on. My course (and many others) have days that you can go in and speak to the lectures to ask questions, I would suggest you do this.
7) Books, as I do not know your course I am unsure but I liked Psychology: The Science of Mind and Behaviour, Richard Gross and Anatomy and Physiology for Nurses, Roger Watson. However, again ask your college before you spend any money.
DerryDarling
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hiya I've my interview next Tuesday for this
Course and would be grateful on any tips that would be asked at the interview,or anything else that would be helpful to me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (118)
34.01%
Yes - a trusted person (94)
27.09%
No (92)
26.51%
I'm not sure (43)
12.39%

Watched Threads