Lowest prescription needed to wear glasses full-time?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
randomguy786
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Well my prescription is only -0.50 in each eye, however I have an astigmatism. My glasses improve my vision so much, but what is the lowest prescription required to justify wearing glasses full time?
Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My cousin has the same number as you and wears them all the time!!

I have -3.00 and rarely wear them... (I know very stupid...)
WillowSummers
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can wear them full time no matter how low the prescription is, when mine was -3.5 I didn't wear them all the time until I got fed up taking them off and losing them, so now just wear them permanently.

The prescription doesn't matter, if you want to wear them, wear them!
Ketchup'n'Mustard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by WillowSummers)
You can wear them full time no matter how low the prescription is, when mine was -3.5 I didn't wear them all the time until I got fed up taking them off and losing them, so now just wear them permanently.

The prescription doesn't matter, if you want to wear them, wear them!
How can you see anything at all without glasses at -3.5 vision (no offense)?! To me, everything is just blurry.
Marsha2112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have -1.25 and -1, the optician said I don't need to wear glasses full time, but my vision's a major joke. People walk up to me and I have no idea who they are until they're at a distance where I'm being rude by not having waved to them yet.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm -1.25 and -1.75 and wear my glasses full time and pretty much always have done.
me, myself and I
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm very short-sighted now (-4.75 and -5.00 I think) but I got contacts/glasses full-time when it was about -2.00 or so. That was 8 years ago now! For a few years before then I used to just have my glasses in my bag for school/cinema etc, but kept forgetting them and it used to be such a pain to have to always sit at the front of the class and squint lol. I can't believe some of the above posters didn't wear them until -3.5! Can't get my head round that!
neom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Marsha2112)
I have -1.25 and -1, the optician said I don't need to wear glasses full time, but my vision's a major joke. People walk up to me and I have no idea who they are until they're at a distance where I'm being rude by not having waved to them yet.
Lmao me too and it's always always awkward.
jimbo139
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want to wear them full time, then you can. No need to justify to anyone. (How much astigmatism do you have anyway?)
Anon420
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've got -3.75 in the left eye and -4.25 in the right eye... yeah, I see a world of blur without them so of course I wear them all the time :P I even have to get prescription goggles/sunglasses.
ellieHA
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You need to ask your optician. I was only allowed to wear mine full time once I got to a certain point because I think if you wear them full time when you don't need to your eyes get worse quicker or something?
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard)
How can you see anything at all without glasses at -3.5 vision (no offense)?! To me, everything is just blurry.
You ca still make things out and still guess according to signs. i recognize people by overall shape and walking. Reading is usually not a problem, unless you have bad astigmatism too. In addition, if the lighting is good things are not as blurry.

I am -3.50 and -1.50 astigmatism and still can do well without glasses. Astigmatism is my main problem as my eyes get tired very fast when looking at details, even close ones...
WillowSummers
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Honestly, I couldn't, but for someone reason I cannot now fathom, I just didn't like wearing them.
Anonymous #1
Report 9 years ago
My astigmatism is like -7.25 or something. But as well as that, the eye is a lazy eye apparently. Omg I'm so blind D:
Kazbian
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I started wearing my glasses all the time when I got to about -2. I'm -3.5 now and don't understand how others can cope without them at that prescription.

I have astigmatism too, but it's only -1. How bad is your astigmatism?

If you want to wear your glasses all the time, then go for it. You don't need to worry about justifying it. It's your vision and your glasses.
Soph.Jade
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wear contacts most of the time and I'm -2.25 -2.75 and I can't see a thing without them. Wear them when you feel you need them - it won't damage your eyes or make them deteriorate any quicker.
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm -3 & never realised just how bad my eyes were before I started wearing glasses. After a short while of wearing them all the time I noticed whenever I took them off what a blur everything was. Wearing them permanently won't make your eyes any worse but it could make you more reliant on them as you get used to having clear vision. I find having frames against my ears all day annoying so there's no way I'd wear glasses all the time if I didn't have to but obviously it's your choice.
pinkangelgirl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
im -5.5 i think and -6.00 something that ridiculous anyway
jjarvis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ha, try -8.5 and -9.5!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I lived for years without wearing my -3.5. You learn to adapt. Like I would be able to recognise someone by their body language (couldn't see their face) at a distance. You just get used to that being your reality that it doesn't really cause any problems.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.94%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.27%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.95%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (89)
11.01%
Financial worries (54)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.31%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.09%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.53%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.92%

Watched Threads