Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I will be applying for music production and got these courses to choose from:
UCLAN - Music Production
Herts - Songwriting and Music Production
Herts - Audio Recording and Production
Colchester - Film Music and Soundtrack Production
Leeds Met - Music Production
Leeds College of Music - Music (Production)
Huddersfield - Music Production and Sound Recording
I need to choose 5 now, maybe someone can comment on these courses/unis? I'm from EU, not UK.
Reply 21
Original post by sophieemptage
Hi,
Anyone else looking to apply for music in 2012? Just wondering where people are thinking of applying and how they're going about it?

Thinking of applying UCAS:
Leeds College of Music
Goldsmiths University
Glasgow University
York University
Manchester University

CUKAS:
Trinity Laban Conservatoire
Birmingham Conservatoire
Royal College of Music

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Hi there, joining in with this thread :smile: what instrument do you play? I'm applying via cukas to trinity, RWCMD, RNCM and probably to Guildhall too. If any of you want UCAS advice I've been through that before so feel free to ask. Have you written your PS yet? :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by 5McD
Hi everyone,

Thinking of reapplying for 2013. Originally applied for 2012 entry but due to certain circumstances, strongly considering taking a year out.
Applied for 2012 on piano, but now I'm almost sure that I'm going to reapply on trombone. Hopefully to these colleges:

RNCM
Birmingham Conservatoire
RCS

Anyone else taking a year out??

Hi there, I'm applying for conservatoires while taking a year out. Good luck, how's it going? :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Tilly87
Hi there, I'm applying for conservatoires while taking a year out. Good luck, how's it going? :smile:
Hi, things are going ok thanks :smile: just trying to plan as many musical things for my year out lol! Hows it going with you? What instrument do you play??
i'm going to birmingham conservatoire this september (fingers crossed) but i already know a lot about it thanks to visiting a lot and having a lot of friends that are already there in various years! I CANT WAIT! i couldn't recommend it enough already, and thats what all of my friends have said too! the atmosphere is so friendly!
Reply 25
Original post by 5McD
Hi, things are going ok thanks :smile: just trying to plan as many musical things for my year out lol! Hows it going with you? What instrument do you play??

That's a good idea! I'm a bit stuck for what musical things to do on my year out -too old for youth orchestras and there never seems to be many groups for adults that aren't stupidly competitive! What are you thinking of doing? I play flute - the most competitive instrument ever :frown: so trying to get lots of practice done and been going to open days! Have you been to many?
Reply 26
Original post by Tilly87
That's a good idea! I'm a bit stuck for what musical things to do on my year out -too old for youth orchestras and there never seems to be many groups for adults that aren't stupidly competitive! What are you thinking of doing? I play flute - the most competitive instrument ever :frown: so trying to get lots of practice done and been going to open days! Have you been to many?

Yeah its difficult to know what to do :/ cos i could end up wasting my time if I dont get some useful things done lol... yeah actually im still at the age (just!) where i can play in our county youth orchestra, so thats one thing for me i suppose. Its amazing how much practice you can do when you dont have to get up and go to school each morning haha. I've only been finished school for about a month, but in my opinion, my days now can be put to so much better use!! So yeah im practicing alot now, but havent really been to any open days this year, apart from the ones i went to before i applied on piano. should really investigate that tbh!
Reply 27
I've just finished my first year studying music at York and if you have any questions about applying/the course at York let me know and i'll do my best to help you! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by 5McD
Yeah its difficult to know what to do :/ cos i could end up wasting my time if I dont get some useful things done lol... yeah actually im still at the age (just!) where i can play in our county youth orchestra, so thats one thing for me i suppose. Its amazing how much practice you can do when you dont have to get up and go to school each morning haha. I've only been finished school for about a month, but in my opinion, my days now can be put to so much better use!! So yeah im practicing alot now, but havent really been to any open days this year, apart from the ones i went to before i applied on piano. should really investigate that tbh!

that's good :smile: sounds like you're doing a lot of practice, how many hours do you do? :s
Original post by Nesselphie
I've just finished my first year studying music at York and if you have any questions about applying/the course at York let me know and i'll do my best to help you! :smile:

What's the basics- like what do you do, how does system work? Teaching, enviornment nice? What can you study etc.
Reply 30
Original post by Tilly87
that's good :smile: sounds like you're doing a lot of practice, how many hours do you do? :s
It definitely varies lol....i like to try and split practice between morning and evening, rather than doing it all at once! How about you??
Reply 31
Original post by Tilly87
Hi there, joining in with this thread :smile: what instrument do you play? I'm applying via cukas to trinity, RWCMD, RNCM and probably to Guildhall too. If any of you want UCAS advice I've been through that before so feel free to ask. Have you written your PS yet? :smile:

I play violin :smile:! i've decided not to apply for conservatoires anymore, after visiting quite a few I have decided they are not really the place I want to be
Finally decided on
Leeds College Of Music
Leeds Uni
York Uni
Glasgow Uni
Huddersfield Uni
:smile:
and yes, i have written three drafts of my PS!
Reply 32
Original post by 5McD
It definitely varies lol....i like to try and split practice between morning and evening, rather than doing it all at once! How about you??

That sounds a good idea :smile: it really depends on the day, I can't say I do that much, but definitely going to try and increase it over the holidays. I try and do at least an hour and find evenings work best for me :smile:

Original post by sophieemptage
I play violin :smile:! i've decided not to apply for conservatoires anymore, after visiting quite a few I have decided they are not really the place I want to be
Finally decided on
Leeds College Of Music
Leeds Uni
York Uni
Glasgow Uni
Huddersfield Uni
:smile:
and yes, i have written three drafts of my PS!

Nice instrument! :smile: That's fair enough, music colleges seem quite different to normal unis. And those are good choices :smile:. I think I've pretty much written mine but will tweak it a bit before I send it off. It's quite difficult to not write too much!
If anyone wants their PS checked over, for CUKAS or UCAS, they can post it in the PS Help subforum (Humanities and Arts) and I'll take a look at it. It's a protected forum where only people who have proven they are already at university can read it, so there's no danger of it being leaked :nah:
Reply 34
just finished my first year at huddersfield uni doing music. really really really good course.
i know someone on here said it was just 'performance based', but i totally disagree. in your first year, if you have passed the audition to do foundation performance then you will receive 20 hours of tuition for your instrument. however, there are so many more other routes, composition, tech, musicology and loads more.
i cannot recommend huddersfield enough, the nights out are great, the music students are a talented bunch and you will learn so much.

YES! York is my first choice, I went to the open day a few weeks ago and loved it!
I was just wondering if you could tell me a little bit about what your interview/audition was like? I know it's different for everyone but a first hand account would be really helpful!
Reply 36
Original post by kathrynparade
YES! York is my first choice, I went to the open day a few weeks ago and loved it!
I was just wondering if you could tell me a little bit about what your interview/audition was like? I know it's different for everyone but a first hand account would be really helpful!

Heya!

York is amazing, i was working at the open day and it was great to meet potential applicants and talk non-stop to them! :smile:

anyway, my interview was my favourite out of everywhere i applied to. I played a grade 8 piece which i could have played much better! It was in one of the lecturer's offices. i wasn't feeling great about my playing but i carried on which is what they want to see i think ^_^

After I played, i was talking to the lecturer for about 10 minutes but it flew by. I talked about composing and showed him my AS composition and other things i'd done and he was very nice and made me feel comfortable in my interview. I was very nervous!

Hope that's given you an idea of what it was like... it was such a surreal day! Do your best and show genuine passion in your interview and PS and you will get offers! :smile:
Heya!

York is amazing, i was working at the open day and it was great to meet potential applicants and talk non-stop to them! :smile:

anyway, my interview was my favourite out of everywhere i applied to. I played a grade 8 piece which i could have played much better! It was in one of the lecturer's offices. i wasn't feeling great about my playing but i carried on which is what they want to see i think ^_^

After I played, i was talking to the lecturer for about 10 minutes but it flew by. I talked about composing and showed him my AS composition and other things i'd done and he was very nice and made me feel comfortable in my interview. I was very nervous!

Hope that's given you an idea of what it was like... it was such a surreal day! Do your best and show genuine passion in your interview and PS and you will get offers! :smile:

Thanks, that's really helpful! It sounds really good and a bit relaxed which is great :')
What instrument do you play and are there a big variety of instruments and styles/genres with students? And lecturers as well?
Also, did you have your grade 8 before you applied? I got a really good Distinction at Grade 6 and I'm going to be sitting my grade 8 next summer.

Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate your answers! :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by kathrynparade
Thanks, that's really helpful! It sounds really good and a bit relaxed which is great :')
What instrument do you play and are there a big variety of instruments and styles/genres with students? And lecturers as well?
Also, did you have your grade 8 before you applied? I got a really good Distinction at Grade 6 and I'm going to be sitting my grade 8 next summer.

Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate your answers! :biggrin:

No problem :smile:

I play saxophone as my main instrument and sing :smile: There is quite a variety, we will be getting a new Early Music Expert this year which is very exciting!
There are *alot* of singers but not all Classical, which is quite cool :smile:
Lecturers have expertise from Medieval to Contemporary Composition so there's lots of variety ^_^

hehe yeah i'd done 2 grade 8's before I applied. Don't worry about not having the qualification before applying, as long as you are working towards it you'll be fine. :biggrin:
If I had grade 8 in piano and guitar, what grades would i be looking at aiming for to get into a good university for a music course, I plan on taking Muisc, Music technology and Maths. I lso have extra curriculum activities like GSCE Latin and DoE Bronze if they would value that. Just finished first year of GCSEs.

Quick Reply