Pooing when nervous

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Is it normal for me to need to poo when I am nervous or stressed?

I feel the need to go, but when I actually go, nothing comes out, or it comes out but it's more a constipated feel.

Is this normal?
Lostfish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This happens to me! Well I don't really poo but that weird feeling in your tummy, it's actually quite painful more like the constipation feel
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lostfish)
This happens to me! Well I don't really poo but that weird feeling in your tummy, it's actually quite painful more like the constipation feel
I don't feel it much in my tummy, you know that feeling when you really need a poo, I get that, but then when I go i'm constipated or nothing at all :/
llama-beans
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, it's completely normal.

It's all to do with your fight-or-flight response. It sends lots of blood to the parts of your body you might need/makes the muscles contract (eg brain, arms, legs) and withdraws blood from the less important areas and makes them relax (bladder, stomach, colon). This is why being nervous makes people feel they need to/need to wee, poo and puke.

Which is, of course, really helpful in these kinds of situations.
Xarren
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I feel the need to go, but when I actually go, nothing comes out, or it comes out but it's more a constipated feel.

Is this normal?
Its called getting "Butterflies".

I would get it before going in the ring. Found that anti-diarrhea pills helped.
Anonymous #2
Report 8 years ago
I think it's normal. I used to get really bad diarrhoea before all my exams. Locking yourself in the toilet for ages right before an exam is always awesome. Thanks body. :dry:
DanLorenzo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Doesn't ring a bell... unless you mean sharting? That's embarrassing, but not usually due to nervousness.
restoration
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's normal I have had it before job interviews and exams before actually.
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Is this normal?
Ever heard the phrase '****ting yourself'? It's not without basis.
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Is this normal?
It's common, Kendra Wilkinson calls it the nervous poops lol
exe
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
diarrhoea is a normal consequence of stress
Anonymous #1
Okay thanks. I wasn't sure because I've been pooping at irregular intervals lately, so I was just checking
3nTr0pY
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by llama-beans)
Yes, it's completely normal.

It's all to do with your fight-or-flight response. It sends lots of blood to the parts of your body you might need/makes the muscles contract (eg brain, arms, legs) and withdraws blood from the less important areas and makes them relax (bladder, stomach, colon). This is why being nervous makes people feel they need to/need to wee, poo and puke.

Which is, of course, really helpful in these kinds of situations.
I suppose the only saving grace is that as soon as you enter the ring/examination hall/battle for middle earth, the nerves, jitters and butterflies disappear leaving your body utterly committed to scoring a knock out/lots of marks/high uruk-hai kill count.
Anonymous #1
What's the best way to get the blood back to the parts that cause nerves then? :P
llama-beans
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's the best way to get the blood back to the parts that cause nerves then? :P
Not sure there is a way, save avoiding the stressful situation. You can't override a biological reflex, unfortunately!
Anonymous #3
Report 8 years ago
I think it's normal. I used to get really bad diarrhoea before all my exams. Locking yourself in the toilet for ages right before an exam is always awesome. Thanks body. :dry:
I have this. It's potenitally so disastrous that I take at least a half dose of immodium about an hour before: this works every time... thankfully it's never affected my exams but it could potentially ruin them, months of hard work could potentially entirely go to waste. Really sucks for us though!
brunettegirl92
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
when i'm nervous, I puke and poop. sometimes simultaneously

:toilet:

edit: to actually answer your question, yes, what you experience is normal
Jorddds
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its completely normal its like when others feel sick or need to pee (this is me sometimes)

You cant prevent it from happening, just know that you dont actually need to go and itll subside once the stress passes.
Freak Out
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Completely natural and normal!
dwivid
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
do you take part in a poll about bowel health or habit at http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/560893
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (7)
12.96%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
20.37%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (25)
46.3%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (8)
14.81%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.56%

Watched Threads