Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional offer from York to study English, but I've been thinking a lot about it and I've decided that if it's possible, I would rather do a combined degree in English and Politics. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me, at this point, to change from just English to English and Politics? What do I need to do? How difficult is it, generally, to change your course once/before you enter university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorceress84)
    I have an unconditional offer from York to study English, but I've been thinking a lot about it and I've decided that if it's possible, I would rather do a combined degree in English and Politics. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me, at this point, to change from English to Politics? What do I need to do? How difficult is it, generally, to change your course once/before you enter university?
    Provided its at the same university it shouldn't be too dificult however some of the top insitutions may get a bit funny about it. I would imagine it can be done via your university rather than via UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    The difficulty will probably depend on how popular the course is that you want to transfer to. If its oversubscribed, you may have difficulty trying to change.

ReputationRep:
    loads of people here in Exeter changed courses in freshers week.

id wait till you get there, then see how subscribed the course is, and they probably wont have a problem with you chanigng.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    If the admissions for the courses "English" and "English and Politics " are done with the same department you can DEFINETLY change it. However If the admissions are done by two speperate departments i.e the politics department then u may have difficulties changing it if Politics at york is very popular which i am sure it is then u may have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. maybe you should try contacting the relevant departments?

ReputationRep:
    wait till youre there.. in freshers, or on an open day ask a tutor *hypothetically* how easy it is to change courses if you realise youve taken the wrong route.. failing that, still wait till youre there and explore the route you want to take which shows youre interested in it, then talk to your tutor proving why you want to change

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that once you're actually at the Uni it's pretty easy to change course, espcially if it's from a more popular one to a less popular one.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.