How difficult is it to change your course?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
sorceress84
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have an unconditional offer from York to study English, but I've been thinking a lot about it and I've decided that if it's possible, I would rather do a combined degree in English and Politics. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me, at this point, to change from just English to English and Politics? What do I need to do? How difficult is it, generally, to change your course once/before you enter university?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sorceress84)
I have an unconditional offer from York to study English, but I've been thinking a lot about it and I've decided that if it's possible, I would rather do a combined degree in English and Politics. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me, at this point, to change from English to Politics? What do I need to do? How difficult is it, generally, to change your course once/before you enter university?
Provided its at the same university it shouldn't be too dificult however some of the top insitutions may get a bit funny about it. I would imagine it can be done via your university rather than via UCAS.
Bitewing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The difficulty will probably depend on how popular the course is that you want to transfer to. If its oversubscribed, you may have difficulty trying to change.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
loads of people here in Exeter changed courses in freshers week.

id wait till you get there, then see how subscribed the course is, and they probably wont have a problem with you chanigng.

love Katy ***
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If the admissions for the courses "English" and "English and Politics " are done with the same department you can DEFINETLY change it. However If the admissions are done by two speperate departments i.e the politics department then u may have difficulties changing it if Politics at york is very popular which i am sure it is then u may have a problem.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm.. maybe you should try contacting the relevant departments?
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wait till youre there.. in freshers, or on an open day ask a tutor *hypothetically* how easy it is to change courses if you realise youve taken the wrong route.. failing that, still wait till youre there and explore the route you want to take which shows youre interested in it, then talk to your tutor proving why you want to change
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've heard that once you're actually at the Uni it's pretty easy to change course, espcially if it's from a more popular one to a less popular one.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads